DNA from grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA from grandmother

Hi, if you are used to reading posts by Dano you will know that I'm his wife posting on his behalf and that we are trying to find Dano's father. I would be grateful if someone could tell me if I am on the right road with my thinking on this.

He has a male 1C1R on MyHeritage whom we do not know despite it being a fairly close match, so I looked at the match's tree and found two names that are also on several matches trees on Ancestry, however, we do not know any of these matches either. These two names are on the 1C1R maternal side, so I am trying to figure out the pattern of DNA and how it would be passed to Dano. I am thinking it must be from the MCRA , and that it must be from a female ancestor.

If I am correct the 1C1R match's mother would be Dano's 1st cousin. She would have received only xdna from her father, (who has the same surname as those on the Ancestry trees) he would be the 1C1R's grandfather, and would be Dano's uncle. This would make Dano's parent a sibling of the 1C1R's grandfather.

My question is - given we know this is not Dano's mother, in this case must the dna have come from a female relation, a grand-aunt of the 1C1R, through one of her children, which would make her Dano's grandmother on his father's side.

The distance quoted by MyHeritage to the MRCA for the amount of dna - 268cms - is 2.9 generations, the possibility of 3 generations is not too far off.

There is a further element to this, in that a sister of the 1C1R's grandfather, married a man who has the same surname as the Y67 and Y37 matches that Dano has on FTDNA .

Any thoughts or direction on this would be welcome as always.

I lose track of your explanation in the following places, with my questions in red.

Originally posted by Dano View Post
    Hi, if you are used to reading posts by Dano you will know that I'm his wife posting on his behalf and that we are trying to find Dano's father. I would be grateful if someone could tell me if I am on the right road with my thinking on this.

He has a male 1C1R on MyHeritage whom we do not know despite it being a fairly close match, so I looked at the match's tree and found two names that are also on several matches trees on Ancestry, however, we do not know any of these matches either. These two names are on the 1C1R maternal side, so I am trying to figure out the pattern of DNA and how it would be passed to Dano. How what would be passed to Dano? I am thinking it must be from the MCRA , and that it must be from a female ancestor. Why a female ancestor?

If I am correct the 1C1R match's mother would be Dano's 1st cousin. She would have received only xdna from her father Why would she receive only xDna from her father? And no other DNA?, (who has the same surname as those on the Ancestry trees) he would be the 1C1R's grandfather, and would be Dano's uncle. This would make Dano's parent a sibling of the 1C1R's grandfather.

My question is - given we know this is not Dano's mother We know who is not Dano's mother? To whom does "this" refer?, in this case must the dna have come from a female relation, a grand-aunt of the 1C1R, through one of her children, which would make her Dano's grandmother on his father's side. Please explain your conclusions or inferences regarding the genders of the various people involved.

The distance quoted by MyHeritage to the MRCA for the amount of dna - 268cms - is 2.9 generations, the possibility of 3 generations is not too far off. You describe the match as 1C1R, but sharing 268 cM actually is closer to a second cousin, also a first cousin twice removed or a half-first cousin once removed.

There is a further element to this, in that a sister of the 1C1R's grandfather, married a man who has the same surname as the Y67 and Y37 matches that Dano has on FTDNA .

Any thoughts or direction on this would be welcome as always.

Comment

That couple you mentioned at the end of your post is very promising. What distance are his matches at 37 and 67? If you can find out who the children of the couple are that might point you in the right direction. Does he have any matches of 500 cm or higher on any of the DNA websites that could be on his father's side?

Comment

Hi Stennor, Thanks very much for your input and I'm sorry my post was a bit confusing, my problem is that I tend to think that everyone knows what's going on in my head and has done all the research alongside me. I'll try to clarify a bit -

How what would be passed to Dano? - by this I meant how the DNA would be passed to Dano.

Why a female ancestor? - having looked at the family tree of the 1C1R, and researched the family members using birth and marriage records along with the 1939 England and Wales register, if we moved this cousin to 2nd cousin there is a female who could possibly be Dano's grandmother.

She would have received only xdna from her father Why would she receive only xDna from her father? And no other DNA? - I realise she would have received XDNA from her mother also, but I meant that she would not have received YDNA from her father.

We know who is not Dano's mother? To whom does "this" refer? - this was meant to refer to the female ancestor whom I am considering may be Dano's grandmother. Having done the research on the 1C1R match's family, there are several sons and daughters, however having regard to their ages, there is really only one daughter and one son who may be possibilities as grandparents to Dano, and who would also be the MRCA with his match.

You describe the match as 1C1R, but sharing 268 cM actually is closer to a second cousin, also a first cousin twice removed or a half-first cousin once removed. - I had thought of the 2nd cousin scenario because of the ages of the match's family, the match's grandfather was born 1910 but was the youngest of a large family, most of the older siblings were born in the 1890's, so it would be their children who would be more the age to be Dano's father, which is why I was considering one of the female siblings as grandmother, she had a son of the right age to be a candidate.

Hi Serket, thank you too for your input. Dano's YDNA match at Y37 is a gd of 1, and the YDNA match at Y67 is a gd of 2. Both of these matches have the same surname as each other but are not related in any way they know of. Both of them have sent me their STR details and I can see that the 2 differences in the Y67 match are in the 25-36 range, as is the Y37 match.

Unfortunately, all of Dano's matches on Ancestry that are above 149cms are maternal matches and we can positively identify them, his first match that we can't identify is the 149cm match. This person has the same ancestor in her tree that the 268cm match on MyHeritage has in his tree, and that is the only link between those two matches.

Since posting my original message, I have come across quite a few matches on MyHeritage that are definitely maternal matches, but also have shared matches with Dano's 268cm match on there, so I am becoming less confident that this match could be paternal.

Thankyou for your interest in this, all input is welcome.

Comment

Working...
        X