Red Hair Variant Arg160Trp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
    If you have 23andMe results, it's pretty easy to check your raw data for the red hair variants and other things. From your 23andMe home page, just click on the down arrow next to your name in the upper right. Choose "Browse Raw Data" from the dropdown menu. Enter the rs (RefSNP) number of the red hair variant in the search box, and type the enter key. Here's a screenshot of my rs1805008 (Arg160Trp) search result at 23andMe. You can see I have one copy of the risk allele, T, which makes me a carrier of the red hair variant Arg160Trp.
    Thank you for posting this, although I'd already checked the 23andMe raw data files for myself and my father before I saw it. I hope others will use your table and tips to check their data to see if they have any red hair SNPs.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post

Thank you for posting this, although I'd already checked the 23andMe raw data files for myself and my father before I saw it. I hope others will use your table and tips to check their data to see if they have any red hair SNPs.
      Yeah, I knew you knew. I was posting that more for other folks who might be interested.

Comment

. . .
        . . . I did a search, and found that the rs34474212 alleles are T>C, not A>G (per the linked NIH National Library of Medicine Reference SNP (rs) Report), so it seems "C" is the red hair variant for that SNP, not "G." SNPedia says that rs34474212 is "possibly red hair related," . . .
        You know, you're right. I'm not sure where I got A>G, but I am the one who created that table, so it was my mistake. I'll fix it, and I'll even go back and insert the corrected version in that earlier post.

Thanks for catching that!

Comment

Here is a pretty good article on red hair from back in 2015: https://blog.23andme.com/health-traits/no-im-not-irish/

Comment

Some years ago, the now-defunct DNA testing company BritainsDNA offered a "redhead test". I had that test and, of course, the results showed that I am a carrier of Arg160Trp (at least one T at rs1805008). Here's a copy of the certificate they sent me.

Red Head Test Result page BDNA.jpg

Comment

Here's my youngest daughter Anna, who will be going to LeTourneau University in Longview, Texas, starting this fall. She got their Presidential Scholarship and will be studying computer science. Letourneau is a Christian polytechnic university.

She has just one copy of Arg160Trp, but that was enough to give her red hair, which she has had ever since she was a baby.

Anna Stevens_2 May 2021.jpg

Comment

What if one child has a totally different hair color that is not present in his parents? How does DNA explain that?

Comment

Originally posted by raspchide View Post
                  What if one child has a totally different hair color that is not present in his parents? How does DNA explain that?
                  Some articles about hair color and genetics:

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                    red hair variants table.jpg
                    If anyone who has had Family Finder or one of the other autosomal DNA tests on the market and is interested in finding out whether he or she is the carrier of a known red hair variant, just download your raw data and search for the variants in the table above by "rs" (RefSNP) number. One way to do that, while looking at your raw data, is to hold down the ctrl key in the lower left corner of your computer keyboard, type f, enter the rs number in the Find box, and click on the down arrow (or "Find Next"). The rs number of the red hair variant will be highlighted. If you have at least one copy of the risk allele, you are a carrier.
                    To update my searches for any red hair variants in the kits I manage (caveat: these results are not from recent chip versions):
                    • As we see in the table, FTDNA data included six of the ten variants (all but one of the kits I manage at FTDNA had none of the variants it includes)
                    • Ancestry data included eight out of the ten in the table (missing rs885479 and rs34474212)
                    • 23andMe data included the two that Ancestry does not (rs885479 and rs34474212)
                    • Thus, if a person has tested at both Ancestry and 23andMe, they should be able to see all ten red hair variants in their results
                    Since my father and I both tested at 23andMe, and I tested at Ancestry, I checked the following:
                    • At 23andMe, my father showed one T for rs1805007; I had CC. Neither he nor I had any other red hair variants there.
                    • At Ancestry, I had no other red hair variants, thus I have none shown at any of the three companies
                    Stevo, your daughter is pretty, and I wish her success at her university. I like her glasses, too!

Last edited by KATM; 4 May 2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

. . . Stevo, your daughter is pretty, and I wish her success at her university. I like her glasses, too!
                      Thanks!

Comment

Some articles about hair color and genetics:
                        Wow! Thanks for doing this to me, appreciated it much. Just confused though I will read first what you sent before asking questions.

Comment

I know it's nearly impossible to connect autosomal traits to Y-DNA haplogroups, but it is odd how there seems to be at least a correlation between red hair variants and R1b-L21. Take a look at this graphic from the old, now-defunct company BritainsDNA, which shows the frequency of carriers of red hair variants in various Isles countries.

Compare that to the Isles R1b-L21 frequency map.

red-head-carrier-frequencies bdna.pngR1b-L21 in the British Isles and Ireland.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X