matches who have ydna results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matches who have ydna results

I have a number of FF matches who have taken YDNA tests, some of them up to Y111 the same as myself. I have entered the names onto the YDNA matching section to see whether any of them show up in my list of matches, however none of them match to me on any level. Does this mean that they are maternal matches, or am I missing something. Any help or opinion would be welcome. Thanks

There are several options from where the match descends. Yes, on your mother's line but also someone such as your father's mother's brother/brothers, your great grandmother's brother/brothers etc.etc. These could match you autosomally and also have taken the Y111 (or other Y test) but they wouldn't match you on your direct paternal line.

Comment

I sometimes think I am getting to understand stuff about dna, then something pops up to make sure I don't understand it. I never even thought about my father's mother's brother, or her mother's brother. It would help if I knew for certain what my fathers surname was, but I have some names I can research on, thanks for your input, I would never have thought to search for those names.

Comment

Are you aware of Advanced Matching? It is one of the choices FTDNA gives, a!ong with Chromosome Browxer, Matches, etc. so you can see who matches you on multiple tests, such as YDNA and FamilyFinder. Faster then looking for each person who has a YDNA test and the searching for their name.

Comment

Thank you for this, I have actually looked at the advanced matching previously, but not properly understood how to use it. In all honesty, the more I'm looking at info, the more confused I'm getting because I don't see anything I recognise. I can see my half niece and half grand-niece on Ancestry, but they are the only two I recognise as I actually know them, but see no-one I know of at all on FTDNA. I have done the shared matching to my nieces on Ancestry and grouped the matches with the coloured dot system even though I cant see where or why they link, but I can't find anyone I recognise to do anything similar with on FTDNA. Quite frustrating at the moment, but I am grateful for your input.

Comment

If your half-niece has results at Ancestry, suggest she use them to get results at FTDNA.
            If your half-great niece is not her daughter, suggest she do that also.
            It is FREE unless they want to use Chromosome Browser and/or get ethnicity results - to do that, one time charge of $19 if and when they decide.
            ​​​​​
            See https://dna-explained.com/2020/04/21...why-do-i-care/ for help understanding how chromosome browser can help you. Do not try to digest it all at once.

​​​​​

Comment

Thanks for this, and you are right not to try to digest it all at once, but it was definitely worth reading. Especially the link to the unknown parent information, I will certainly have another look at this. I hadn't thought of asking my niece and g/niece to upload to FTDNA, apart from being able to match with my matches, one is born in Australia and could well have other matches there.

Comment

Working...
              X