Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The longest block

Hi,

I have two sisters on my FF match list and I have seen their results. They share total 2614 cM and that´s ok. BUT they have the common longest block 267 cM !!
    It´s as much as parent/child share. I have seen,that usually siblings share about 150-200 cM. So,I think that something special on chromosome 1. Can anyone explain?

Tavastian

Remember that full sisters share two parents. That "longest block" could come in part from either or both parents. To get a better idea of exactly that is in that block (which segments from which parent), you would need to use a tool that distinguishes between "half" and "full" matching segments, and if possible, samples from both parents as well. For two siblings to share the entire length of chromosome 1 would indeed be a very uncommon occurrence, but not theoretically impossible. Perhaps they were just very lucky.

Comment

or both parents are related and contributions from both helped fill in the chromosome in question.

Comment

You can share a complete chromosome match with a sibling. In the vast majority of cases it will be a combination of full and half segment matches.

With my full sibling I have complete chromosome matches on 9, 10, 15, 16 and 17. On the X there is a small break and we match about 98%.

At GEDmatch in the chromosome browser I can see that the complete matches are a combination of full and half segment matches.

Have the sisters upload their raw DNA to GEDmatch and you will get the complete view of full and half segment matches.

Comment

OK, Thank you very much for all of you. I went to Gedmatch and found a random sibling pair. I compared their cromosomes and indeed - a mix of half and full identical blocks.
          I guess I got this!

All the best!

Tavastian

Comment

Working...
          X