Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I delete AncestryDNA results to take FF if my siblings are now getting FF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I delete AncestryDNA results to take FF if my siblings are now getting FF?

I took the AncestryDNA test in April 2017 and transferred the results to FTDNA., and I did the Y-37 test last June. My siblings are now both probably going to do the FF test. Is there any advantage to me deleting my AncestryDNA results and taking the FF at the same time as my siblings?

My specific interests are whether our paternal grandfather is really our father's father, and whether I have the same father as my siblings. Two decades of my genealogy research have resulted in both questions.

If I remember right, your testing date for AncestryDNA indicates the newer test.

Since you are also interested with the grandfather question as well as the father, you might get more clues for the grandfather's ancestry if you do have an actual FF kit on FF's database. At least that is what I would do in your circumstances.

Comment

DigitalDragon, I agree with georgian1950 that it is worth it for you to delete your transfer file, and test at FTDNA.

That way, you and your siblings will all be tested on the same chip, and any differences in your match lists will be only because of the differences in the segments you inherited from your parents, not due to the differences in the SNPs tested by the different chips. You tested at Ancestry in 2017, and they started using their version 2 chip in May 2016, so your file from Ancestry is definitely v. 2, and not completely compatible with FTDNA's chip. Using your Ancestry transfer, you will not get as many matches as your siblings do with the Family Finder test.

Roberta Estes has a blog post with more details about the effects on your match list from the two chips, "Testing Strategy - Should I Test at Ancestry and Transfer to Family Tree DNA?"

You can see a comparison of SNPs tested between the versions of the chips from all the genetic genealogy DNA testing companies using ISOGG's Autosomal SNP comparison chart.

Take advantage of the holiday sale prices through Dec. 31st, and also $9.95 per kit reduced shipping until Dec. 16th. There are also two coupons you can use through tomorrow (expire Dec. 9): use "MERRY5" for 5% off orders under $100, and "MERRY10" for 10% off orders over $100. You may have also received these codes via email, as an FTDNA customer. FTDNA says that new coupon offers will be given every Monday. In the past, the coupon offers were done differently (shown within each person's account), and they alternated the bonuses to apply to different specific tests, changing them each week.

Comment

As I posted in another topic,, you have have to get a new kit. I'm not sure FTDNA will delete the transferred autosomal.

Comment

They will delete the transferred autosomal, or at least, they let me do so a few months ago. It will take a few weeks to go through however. They also will try to talk you out of doing so.

Testing a new kit would be easier/faster, it just causes confusion on match lists for others when they find 2 of you on FF.

In my particular case it was my Mother's kit that was transferred and I came across a strong match with my FF test which "screamed" maternal line, but didn't match on her transfer kit. More digging found that person's father on Ancestry with a 9cm match between my mother and her father(a very weak match). Which was far weaker than I had on FF. (I didn't match her father on Ancestry) So just for my own sanity I had my mother's transfer deleted so we could redo it as a FTDNA FF test. Which did confirm that the match came through my mother's side of the tree.

In general the difference between the two tests is slight and is unlikely to come up with different results, but when they do, oh my.
          Last edited by bartarl260; 13th December 2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
            As I posted in another topic,, you have have to get a new kit. I'm not sure FTDNA will delete the transferred autosomal.
            Am I missing something? If you've done the Y-37 test, why would you need another kit? The Y-DNA test should have a kit number for that. (I didn't know you could do a Y-DNA test without Family Finder). Can't you just "upgrade" your existing Y-37 test to add Family Finder? (I must be misunderstanding something.)

Comment

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post

Am I missing something? If you've done the Y-37 test, why would you need another kit? The Y-DNA test should have a kit number for that. (I didn't know you could do a Y-DNA test without Family Finder). Can't you just "upgrade" your existing Y-37 test to add Family Finder? (I must be misunderstanding something.)
              You are correct that he does not need a new kit; they would now be able to use his existing sample.

But, as in this case, if you transfer your autosomal file to FTDNA from another company, then FTDNA uses the file to give you Family Finder results. The OP would have to see if FTDNA will delete his transferred file. Then (as you wrote), he could order a Family Finder test to be done using his now existing sample at FTDNA (from when he sent it in for Y-DNA testing after he had transferred his autosomal file from Ancestry). You cannot have existing Family Finder results, whether transferred or not, and then attempt to order Family Finder again.

And yes, as a new customer you can order a Y-DNA or mtDNA test, without either ordering a Family Finder test, or having existing Family Finder results.

Comment

In reference to your original question, I agree with georgian1950, with the proviso that you should xfer one of your RAW files to GEDMatch.com if you have not already, and those of siblings, if they allow it. I assume you are looking for the broadest database of atDNA folks, and although it looks weird on their site, I am fascinated by the different shares sometimes showing there for two or three downloaded atDNA files from each source for the same person compared in one-to-many. I think of it as due diligence in checking the results for each service, but that is just me.

Comment

For anyone who has transferred AND done either an MtDNA or YDNA test for the same Kit - for those folks, I would definitely say delete the transferred DNA and then do FamilyFinder as an Upgrade, rather than order a new Kit -- you want your new FamilyFinder results on the same Kit as the MtDNA or YDNA you have done, so you can use Advanced Matching!!

Comment

Working...
                  X