Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any tips for finding Gedmatch Ancestry matches on Ancestry?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone have any tips for finding Gedmatch Ancestry matches on Ancestry?

    I'm having a big stumbling block here. I'll be on Gedmatch doing one-to-many matches and see a whole bunch of people who's Gedmatch kit number starts with "A". So I'll go on Ancestry and try and seek out the actual names on the member directory or the DNA match searches, and I can never find the people as per the name they are listed on Gedmatch. Does anyone have any advice?

  • #2
    I wish I knew the answer as it is very frustrating. I can only find a handful of GEDmatch Ancestry matches at Ancestry.

    For whatever reason the same person has different user names on Ancestry and GEDmatch.

    Ancestry cM totals are different from GEDmatch cM totals. I have found some matches at Ancestry with one third the GEDmatch cM total. And it appears that TIMBER not only reduces the cM totals, but also removes some matches.

    Comment


    • #3
      The customer base of Ancestry is largely that of amateur genealogists and curiosity seekers. Code names abound, more there than anywhere. Unfortunately their use promotes total anonymity, which seems to generate a culture of wariness, which trends toward generating more anonymity. If you did not test at Ancestry, or if you did test there and transferred your results to FTDNA, it is not much different or hardly any better than what you are experiencing.

      If you are like me, you try to avoid using the site's message system. 23andme's is so primitive and featureless it is pathetic, and Ancestry's is also limited in capabilities, compared to using private email communication.

      You best bet is to look for clues for personal names in the email addresses that are shown on GedMatch. You could contact the ones that are the best candidates, although it is awkward if you don't know who they are. The worst that can happen in initiating contact on any GG site is that they won't reply. It's as much a blessing as a curse, because many of the subscribers to Ancestry and 23andme either don't know their roots or have little or no interest in genealogy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Carpathian View Post
        Code names abound, more there than anywhere. Unfortunately their use promotes total anonymity, which seems to generate a culture of wariness, which trends toward generating more anonymity.
        Code names abound here also. Very few of us use our real names.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have tried to breakthrough this problem and so far I have managed to identify others by using my own Spreadsheet (even at my advanced age I can just about use a simple spreadsheet!). I trawl all the Matches I have (eg FTDNA/MyHeritage/GEDmatch etc) and then group them on my sheet by Matches/Triangulation/Shared Centimorgans/Largest Block/GD/where Tested/eMail etc. Initially many Matches appeared in different Groupings but by analysing I was able to move them around to the most likely Group. Eventually by comparing within the Groups/Matches etc I was able to actually identify the likely Person(s) - GEDmatch and MyHeritage do provide email addresses. The result in many cases was that I found an eMail Contact. It is VERY time-consuming but works.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I can get about 75% of them but the other 25% are just illusive. Generally I'll find that people will use something similar to their e-mail name as their Ancestry codename. That doesn't always work. It doesn't help that FTDNA and Ancestry use different ways of computing shared cM numbers.

            Comment

            Working...
            X