Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoberlyDrake
    replied
    The size of the segment also matters. If it's under 5 cM, it's not worth considering as it's probably identical by state, not identical by descent. Over 7 cM is probably the largest you should consider and that could be from an ancestor who lived hundreds of years ago. The larger the segment the more significant.

Leave a comment:

• mattn
    replied
    Originally posted by s_miller View Post
    Hi there. I'm a beginner. I'm trying to find a common ancestor with one of my matches who contacted me. I compared our existing family trees and there are currently no known common ancestors. I used the Chromosome Browser to compare us and in the process found several more of my DNA matches who appeard to share overlapping sections of chromosome 1. Does this mean we all share the same ancestor?

Much thanks for any assistance.
    As mentioned you have 2 of each chromosome. So even though it appears that the segments are overlapping it could be that some are matching your paternal DNA segment and some are matching your maternal DNA segment. You can use the Matrix tool to see which of these matches match each other. But yes those who match each other and share the same section of DNA will share a common ancestor but you could be closer related to one match than you are to others. So if you find a common ancestor to one it doesn't necessarily mean the others share that particular ancestor you could be related to someone else in that group farther back through one of that ancestor's ancestors. Just remember your ancestors had ancestors too so it is not always simple finding out how a group of people are related to each other.

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    We have two of each chromosome. One from mother one from father. Browser merges the two into one due to fact they can not tell you which is which.
    Some overlapping matches maybe on your maternal chromosome 1 , while other maybe on your paternal chromosome 1.
    One has to use triangulation to confirm each match the other along the same segment. Requires contacting each or each of you being on gedmatch to manually compate

Leave a comment:

• DRNewcomb
    replied
    Originally posted by s_miller View Post
    ...... 1. Does this mean we all share the same ancestor?
    If not, it's one heck of a coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• s_miller
    started a topic Chromosome Browser and Matches--explanation required

Chromosome Browser and Matches--explanation required

Hi there. I'm a beginner. I'm trying to find a common ancestor with one of my matches who contacted me. I compared our existing family trees and there are currently no known common ancestors. I used the Chromosome Browser to compare us and in the process found several more of my DNA matches who appeard to share overlapping sections of chromosome 1. Does this mean we all share the same ancestor?

Much thanks for any assistance.
Working...
X