Message from FTDNA - added to a Family Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message from FTDNA - added to a Family Tree

I received an email from FTDNA that I have been added to a family tree by another member. I can see his tree, but a ton of the individuals are marked as Private. I did some quick surname searches on his tree and came up empty against my main maternal and paternal lines. I clicked on his pic/icon on his tree, but it said no additional info available, or something similar to that.

Question is, how can I reach out to this individual to discuss his tree? My guess is that it was done mistakenly, so I'd want him to fix it and move on, but I'd like to follow-up with him in the small chance that it's legit.

Also, he doesn't show as a match on my autosomal, maternal or paternal tests here at FTDNA, reinforcing my belief that he has me mistaken with somebody else.

Thanks.

If it was a "mistake", how exactly could it have happened? The whole idea of adding someone you found on FTDNA to your FTDNA tree, and FTDNA apparently knowing who you are, strikes me as quite strange.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
      If it was a "mistake", how exactly could it have happened? The whole idea of adding someone you found on FTDNA to your FTDNA tree, and FTDNA apparently knowing who you are, strikes me as quite strange.
      I suppose, but I've added people to my tree before (can't recall if it was here or on Ancestry) and then there is a hint that pops up at times if the algorithm sees a match of some kind. It's been spot on at times, and not correct at other times. I'll remain open to the possibility that I'm a legit match for this person, but I'd like to discuss to figure it out. If nothing else, his is a completely alien family tree to me, so if it's legit, I'm about to learn a lot about my ancestry that I didn't know up to this point.

Comment

I do recall a few years ago someone added my mother to their tree. They must have been a distant match on mtDNA or FF. When I queried the reason for adding her to his tree, (there did not appear to be any connection) he said he had been playing around to see what happened.

Comment

Well, that’s exactly what happened. The person contacted me. The person he was trying to add (same name as me) to his tree was born in Dec 1970 in Australia, whereas I was born in Aug 1971 in the NYC area.

In his own words “I was hoping”.

I’m more accustomed to that happening on Ancestry where people just “yes” their way through provided hints without any form of scrutiny. It obviously leads to shoddy results and bogus connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinny71 View Post

I’m more accustomed to that happening on Ancestry where people just “yes” their way through provided hints without any form of scrutiny. It obviously leads to shoddy results and bogus connections.
            One thing about adding someone to your tree over at Ancestry is that using custom events, you can note that the link is a guess. I use this to make it clear to anyone who just looks at my tree that I'm not certain as to the actual information I've noted. Recently I added a Riley Kirkland as marrying my 3rd great grandfather and noted that the John Rogers on the marriage certificate might not be my John Rogers.

Comment

Two slightly different aspects of FTDNA trees might help explain how this could have happened. Both relate to adding a person to your tree manually:

When you add someone manually, you have the option of entering an email address for that person. As no-one's deceased ancestors would have had email, I guess that means you add your own email address there.

After you've inserted the person's name in their profile box, the program is all too happy to 'prompt' that your person may be X, Y, Z or Q - names in other people's trees that usually bear very little resemblance to your person (the common element seems to be that all have the same initials!) and have no dates associated with them. You're then invited to "link" or "dismiss". If you "link", the person being linked will be emailed unless you choose not to have them emailed ("When I click 'Link', email that person about being added to my tree")

Also ... related to the second point above ... I often get purple icons magically appearing in the lower right of my tree page. These are suggestions that some (totally unrelated) person might be connected to me. From memory, these work in the same way as the prompts you get when you're manually adding someone to your tree.

Comment

Working...
              X