X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnLynch
    replied
    Originally posted by KATM View Post
    You can, as I alluded to in my earlier posts, upload your Ancestry file to FTDNA, but NOT while logged into your current FTDNA account. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/, and in the top left menu, hover on "DNA Tests" and select "Autosomal Transfer." You would then get a new account # and password. BUT - as I said above, it won't really give you any more information, and you'll actually get fewer matches than with your Family Finder match list.

Fantastic. I joined the forums to find out how to upload my sister's Ancestry DNA (I did FTDNA tests and mine is already there) and this answered my question. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    Originally posted by travers View Post
    You can only have one autosomal test per person per account here at FTDNA. So you have to chose, so if you uploaded Ancestry it will not allow you to upload 23andme and there is no reason to do so because those two tests are both testing the same thing (Chromosomes 1-22 and X). If you uploaded Ancestry OR 23andme data the result would be the same in that it will be entered into FTDNA's Family Finder matching database. The Family Finder database doesn't use Y-test data that is a completely different matching database so there is no way to "merge" the two. You should only have one account though, so you should have uploaded the Ancestry data in the same account that you ordered the Y-DNA test to. If you didn't not a huge deal as they are separate tests and one test has no bearing on the results of the other but it is much easier if they are one account as you can have access to both tests from the same login as opposed to having to log into two different accounts to access results.
    I agree with what travers wrote.

Leave a comment:

• travers
    replied
    Originally posted by Clarkjwc View Post
    KATM, I may have jumped before checking the water. I ordered a Y-Test (looking for additional info of unknown Father) and while waiting for delivery and return I uploaded from Ancestry. I then tried to also upload from 23AndMe. Not seeing a path to do that upload brought me here to do some reading. It it also true that I cannot add the results of a Y-test to the Ancestry data? So that I have a good clean place to receive my Y-kit I should remove the data I now have to leave a clean spot for the Y-test? Is there a place where I might merge all three sources?
    JC
    You can only have one autosomal test per person per account here at FTDNA. So you have to chose, so if you uploaded Ancestry it will not allow you to upload 23andme and there is no reason to do so because those two tests are both testing the same thing (Chromosomes 1-22 and X). If you uploaded Ancestry OR 23andme data the result would be the same in that it will be entered into FTDNA's Family Finder matching database. The Family Finder database doesn't use Y-test data that is a completely different matching database so there is no way to "merge" the two. You should only have one account though, so you should have uploaded the Ancestry data in the same account that you ordered the Y-DNA test to. If you didn't not a huge deal as they are separate tests and one test has no bearing on the results of the other but it is much easier if they are one account as you can have access to both tests from the same login as opposed to having to log into two different accounts to access results.

Leave a comment:

• Clarkjwc
    replied
    Mix & Match

KATM, I may have jumped before checking the water. I ordered a Y-Test (looking for additional info of unknown Father) and while waiting for delivery and return I uploaded from Ancestry. I then tried to also upload from 23AndMe. Not seeing a path to do that upload brought me here to do some reading. It it also true that I cannot add the results of a Y-test to the Ancestry data? So that I have a good clean place to receive my Y-kit I should remove the data I now have to leave a clean spot for the Y-test? Is there a place where I might merge all three sources?
    JC

Leave a comment:

• keigh
    replied
    Actually, on Ancestry, I have had a number of 4th and farther out cousins that I've been able to connect with do to seeing just a familiar name on their tree. The names have been familiar to my seeing them on census records that had my family living in the area. It's made me research a bit down lines or up lines on their tree and discover something like their something great grandmother, Rachel MNU was my something great grandaunt Rachel Hutchinson.

There are a number of people who don't respond to my inquiries about possible connections, but I've had that here at FTDNA too. And as to not having trees, I'd say half or more of my matches don't have trees here at FTDNA. I frankly don't bother adding matches to the tree here, if I find one, I'll go over to my tree at Ancestry and add it there. The Ancestry tree is much easier to develop.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Those transferring from Ancestry now see all of their matches in the FTDNA database for free. It is possible that those like you who only saw the top 20 now see all of their matches.

Not all FTDNA customers have also tested at Ancestry so those not transferring from Ancestry could be missing good matches.

Of the 70,000 matches you have at Ancestry, how many are close enough to matter?

Leave a comment:

• DRNewcomb
    replied
    @keigh, Matching works both ways. When you upload your raw DNA from another lab to FTDNA it increases the chance that someone who tested with FTDNA will contact you. Same for uploading to GEDmatch. The broader you cast your net, the more you will catch. Unfortunately, Ancestry is a walled garden and if you want to match their database, you have to test with them. At lot of people who test with Ancestry (e.g. my wife's family) just want to know if they're supposed to buy lederhosen or a kilt. People who are serious about it often test with other labs or multiple labs.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 14 May 2018, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• keigh
    replied
    When FTDNA had a free transfer awhile back I added my Ancestry DNA to FTDNA, and for the first twenty matches which were show as free, I had the same people showing on my new Ancestry DNA based account as I had for my original FTDNA account. There were some missing as those individuals hadn't done a transfer from Ancestry to FTDNA.

FTDNA has a smaller base of matches and not all Ancestry accounts are represented by transfers. Here, I have 4,700 matches while at Ancestry I have 70,336 today. Last night, I had 70,088, an increase of 248 matches and it is only 9 AM.

After seeing that not much new could be learned from duplicate matches, I deleted my Ancestry results from FTDNA.

Leave a comment:

• loobster
    replied
    I would like to also mention - MyHeritage accepts free transfers/uploads as well - now has a Chromosome Browser - and their data base seems to be growing rather quickly - so folks might consider uploading to them as well.

Leave a comment:

• loobster
    replied
    Originally posted by DebbieH View Post
    .. I wanted to add Ancestry's results because I had matches on there that didn't come up in my Family Tree DNA since they only tested with Ancestry and they haven't loaded their results to GEDmatch. They are a high match at 1,814 centimorgans shared across 51 DNA segments...
    Uploading your results from Ancestry to FTDNA will NOT add those matches you see at Ancestry to FTDNA.
    And if, by any chance, they had tested or do transfer or test at FTDNA - you can be sure you would/will see them in your Match list at FTDNA (to the test you took at FTDNA!) - and also with a very high shared cM level, etc.

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    For close matches like that, it will make no difference if you have Family Finder results at FTDNA, or (instead) had uploaded your Ancestry DNA file. They would match you either way, the same way.

You can, as I alluded to in my earlier posts, upload your Ancestry file to FTDNA, but NOT while logged into your current FTDNA account. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/, and in the top left menu, hover on "DNA Tests" and select "Autosomal Transfer." You would then get a new account # and password. BUT - as I said above, it won't really give you any more information, and you'll actually get fewer matches than with your Family Finder match list.

What you need that high match to do is for him or her to either upload to GEDmatch.com, or to FTDNA (or both!). Then you can compare them in the chromosome browser at FTDNA, or 1 to 1 Autosomal match at GEDmatch. It is free to upload to either GEDmatch or FTDNA, but in order for the match to use the tools at FTDNA, he or she will need to pay the $19 to unlock the tools. On your end, since you already have tested with FTDNA, you will be able to see this match (if he/she uploads here) and use the tools to compare with the match (Chromosome browser, Matrix, In Common With, etc.).

Have you been in contact with this match? Do they have a tree at Ancestry? I know it can be tricky approaching matches for adoptees. Perhaps you can get some help and tips at http://www.dnaadoption.com, or in the Adoptee subforum here in the FTDNA forums. There are other places, but I don't have them at hand just now.

Leave a comment:

• DebbieH
    replied
    Thank you. I wanted to add Ancestry's results because I had matches on there that didn't come up in my Family Tree DNA since they only tested with Ancestry and they haven't loaded their results to GEDmatch. They are a high match at 1,814 centimorgans shared across 51 DNA segments. I'm adopted and know my maternal side but not my paternal and this match is on the paternal side so I'm hoping it's either a half sibling or first cousin. I wanted to compare those results in the chromosome browser.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and help. I'm new to all of this so I'm not sure what I can and can't do.

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    one or two more things

DebbieH, you may be used to Ancestry.com's way of allowing two or more kits/accounts to be managed by one person. It is not done that way at FTDNA; each person tested has their own individual account. That is one reason why duplicate autosomal results can't be in the same account. There is just no way to do that at FTDNA, and in a case like yours, where you (presumably) want to have the autosomal results from two companies in one account, there is no point or use for it. You will match yourself, even if you upload both files to GEDmatch, or create a second account at FTDNA for yourself and upload your Ancestry file to it.

If you recently (within the last year or so) tested with Ancestry, your test was done with their version 2 chip, and there are fewer of the same markers tested that match with FTDNA's test than the earlier Ancestry DNA test (their version 1). Therefore, your Ancestry DNA results, if uploaded to a new account at FTDNA, will not get as many matches at FTDNA as your existing kit with Family Finder results.
    Last edited by KATM; 20 April 2018, 10:43 AM. Reason: revisions

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    Family Tree DNA offers three types of tests: autosomal ("Family Finder," which is like the Ancestry and 23andMe tests), mtDNA (mitochondrial), and Y-DNA.

You seem likely to be referring to Family Finder as your Family Tree DNA results. If so, the answer to your question is NO. As Jim Barrett has already posted, you can't upload an Ancestry DNA raw data file (your results file) to a kit that has had the Family Finder test done. What is your reason for wanting to upload your Ancestry results to FTDNA, if you already have Family Finder results?

You can, however, upload both companies' results to GEDmatch.com, if you wish to compare them there. It is not wise to have two active kits for the same individual at GEDmatch, because it ends up taking up valuable space, and potentially confusing people with whom you match. You can mark one (or both) as "research" kits, using the "EDIT or DELETE" link for your DNA profiles (beneath the list of the kits in your account). That way, only one kit will appear in your matches' lists, but you can still use both kits for comparison purposes.

Leave a comment:

• DebbieH
    replied
    I was just wondering if I could load those results to my profile as well as the results from my Family Tree DNA results.

So I had my FTDNA kit processed and received the results back. I also tested on Ancestry and just received those results back. I would like to upload the Ancestry results to my profile as well. I hope that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X