Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer kit to someone else....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transfer kit to someone else....

    Hi-I bought a test awhile back when there was a sale. I sent it to a friend and I want to transfer the test for her to manage. How do I go about doing that? Thank you! Judy

  • #2
    Can be done a couple ways.

    At some point an email is sent to you with the temporary password. I'm not sure at what point. When you receive it just let her know the password and she can log on with the kit number. It would have been with the kit. Then she can go into the profile information and change all the information (address, email etc). Possibly she can make her own password up at that time also.

    I have several kits and some of those have been turned over to the tester. They simply go in and change all the information. It's theirs but they do share the password with me so I can log on and do research. (of course, they don't have to share the password they've made up) :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
      Can be done a couple ways.

      At some point an email is sent to you with the temporary password. I'm not sure at what point. When you receive it just let her know the password and she can log on with the kit number. It would have been with the kit. Then she can go into the profile information and change all the information (address, email etc). Possibly she can make her own password up at that time also.

      I have several kits and some of those have been turned over to the tester. They simply go in and change all the information. It's theirs but they do share the password with me so I can log on and do research. (of course, they don't have to share the password they've made up) :-)
      I always pay immediately, and the e-mail with the kit number and its password is sent right away.

      Mr. W.

      P.S.
      The only extra step would be if sex of the kit as originally purchased and sex of the actual tester are different. One needs to contact FTDNA and change sex. Preferably before sending the kit back.
      Last edited by dna; 6 April 2018, 12:03 PM. Reason: clarification about sex change

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dna View Post
        I always pay immediately, and the e-mail with the kit number and its password is sent right away.

        Mr. W.

        P.S.
        The only extra step would be if sex of the kit as originally purchased and sex of the actual tester are different. One needs to contact FTDNA and change sex. Preferably before sending the kit back.
        Sometimes the temp password email has not been sent to me, just a confirmation that I have ordered the kit. A couple of times I've had to call and request it be sent.

        Usually, the kits I've ordered the tester has not wanted to manage their own kit but I do give them the password I have made up in case they change their mind. A few times the tester has wanted to take a very active part so I tell them after they login to change the email address and all the other pertinent info. The only thing I ask is to allow me to have the password too so I can do research.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dna View Post
          The only extra step would be if sex of the kit as originally purchased and sex of the actual tester are different. One needs to contact FTDNA and change sex. Preferably before sending the kit back.
          It is NOT NECESSARY to do that - FTDNA will change the Kit info to match the Sex info as well as usually the Name from the Permission Slip. Only if they fail to notice it does it become necessary to contact them about it. So just try to remember to check, once they say Kit Received, what sex it says then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by loobster View Post
            It is NOT NECESSARY to do that - FTDNA will change the Kit info to match the Sex info as well as usually the Name from the Permission Slip. Only if they fail to notice it does it become necessary to contact them about it. So just try to remember to check, once they say Kit Received, what sex it says then.
            That is good news!

            I gather a sex change between the original purchase and submission happens often enough to warrant an automatic corrective process.


            Mr. W.

            Comment


            • #7
              I tested a female cousin once and even though she was listed from the beginning as female she showed up with a 'male' head on the match list. I had to contact them to have it changed.

              Comment

              Working...
              X