Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serket
    replied
    Y-DNA wouldn't be helpful because your match is a woman. MTDNA is rarely helpful even for people with extensive trees, and she probably has a different mother anyway. The best option is to have any male or female take an autosomal test. If your uncle has other children that you grew up with and wouldn't be shocked by a new sibling, they would be the best choice regardless of gender.

Leave a comment:

• dna
    replied
    Originally posted by Singer35 View Post
    I have matched with a newly discovered 1-2nd cousin. I am now trying to ascertain to which of my maternal uncles is her father. (I can tell she is on my maternal side by the same matches) Is it best to test a male or female cousin to try to get the best potential sibling/half-sibling match? My thought would be to test a male, as a female would have different MtDNA than her.
    I am confused.

May be, if you try to explain the known relationships once again anew the issue would get clarified for you too. For example, I am not sure where half-siblings come into play.

Half-sibling and siblings with the same mother have the same mtDNA. With the same mother, sex of half-sibling and siblings is irrelevant as far as mtDNA is concerned.

When half-sibling and siblings have the same father, nothing can be said about their mtDNA, regardless of their sex. No, one cannot assume that their mtDNA would be different. Only that different mtDNA confirms that half-siblings (regardless of their sex) have different mothers - if it is only known for certain that two people are half-siblings, but it is not known whether they have a common mother or father.

Mr. W.

Leave a comment:

• ltd-jean-pull
    replied
    How many centiMorgans do you share?

The gender of cousin who tests is probably not relevant UNLESS you are fairly certain she is your first cousin, in which case the X-chromosome could be useful.

Half-sisters with the same father would be half identical along the entire X-chromosome, so if you think she is a half-sister of your maternal first cousins then one way to rule out whether she and your female cousin have the same father would be to check the X-match.

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 5 March 2018, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Singer35
    started a topic finding half-siblings

finding half-siblings

I have matched with a newly discovered 1-2nd cousin. I am now trying to ascertain to which of my maternal uncles is her father. (I can tell she is on my maternal side by the same matches) Is it best to test a male or female cousin to try to get the best potential sibling/half-sibling match? My thought would be to test a male, as a female would have different MtDNA than her.
Working...
X