family finder for finding half sibling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family finder for finding half sibling

What would you suggest? After doing a DNA test a cousin has been determined that a male match shows that more than likely that one of his parents is her half-sibling. Advice on what tests to use to determine this. Can you do it with FTDNA Family Finder? There is discussion about using Biogene DNA. I love FTDNA and all the info you get. Advice?

The general method is to draw out ALL of the possible family trees involving the people who match (and any close relatives who don't match), then use the total cM for each match to try to rule out one or more of the possible trees. You will need a chart or table showing the average and range of total cM for all the various relationships that might be involved -- one very popular table is easily found with a google search on "DNA detectives autosomal statistics chart" -- it is all over the internet, and it is ideal for your situation.

It helps enormously if you can get all of the matching DNA kits in the same place (such as GEDmatch, which is free), and if you can test as many close relatives as possible and/or identify fairly close matches that you happen to find on the Family Finder or wherever else you and your matches have tested (another reason to upload your DNA kits to GEDmatch, because a very large number of people who have tested with other vendors are likely to be there too!). The more people who are involved in the match, the more cM values you will have for ruling out the possible family trees.

Comment

If they have all tested at FTDNA - or those that haven't are able to transfer to FTDNA - is their any reason to use GEDMatch rather than look at results here?

Especially since this is clearly somebody who is currently comfortable with using FTDNA, but possibly not with GEDMatch.

(I know I have talked a lot of relatives into Testing here, but would rather not go back and beg permission to also download their raw Data and transfer it to another site - it was difficult enough to get permission to do this much).

Comment

Originally posted by Cats View Post
        ... After doing a DNA test a cousin has been determined that a male match shows that more than likely that one of his parents is her half-sibling. Advice on what tests to use to determine this. Can you do it with FTDNA Family Finder? There is discussion about using Biogene DNA. I love FTDNA and all the info you get. Advice?
        This is your cousin - yes? I will call her COUSIN
        "one of his parents is her half-sibling" -- by "his" you mean your cousin's - COUSIN's
        for Male Match of COUSIN - say MMC
        so you are saying it seems one of MMC's parents is a half-sibling of COUSIN

Are MMC's parents alive to test? If so, test them at FTDNA with FamilyFinder, and that should answer the question.
        If not - what are the closest relatives of COUSIN and of MMC that are able to be tested?
        Which, if any, of them have already been tested?

And - what is your exact relationship to COUSIN (1st cousin on mother's side? on father's side? or ??) Are you also a match for MMC?

Comment

Working...
        X