No matches since May 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matches since May 2017

I have not seen any more matches on my daughter in laws kit since last May. However looking on GEDmatch I see a few distant ones show up now and then, they look like good matches 4th/5th cousins. I seen three this morning on Ancestry, about ten in the last two weeks.

So any idea whats going on? Just seems odd.

Thanks

Originally posted by 1alan1 View Post
    I have not seen any more matches on my daughter in laws kit since last May. However looking on GEDmatch I see a few distant ones show up now and then, they look like good matches 4th/5th cousins. I seen three this morning on Ancestry, about ten in the last two weeks.

So any idea whats going on? Just seems odd.

Thanks
    More info is required to help you. How many matches does your DIL currently have with Family Finder? What is her ancestry? Does she have all the levels of matching enabled in her account settings?

Comment

Thanks Travers,

She shows 11 5th cousin matches and she is Japanese.
      I am not sure about settings, I have never seen any or looked for any.

Now I have tried to fool around with Advanced matches, there are some options under there but it doesn't change anything or show anything different.

I will go look at account settings, I was not aware of any settings.

Thanks again...

I checked and there are no options under account settings to change anything to do with matches or DNA. Its all account stuff.
      Now another thing is this was a file transfer from Ancestry, would that matter? I wouldn't think so but...??

Thanks
      Last edited by 1alan1; 26 January 2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

You'll find the match settings after you click "Manage Personal Information", then click "Account Settings" then "Match and Email Settings". Make sure all the Family Finder levels are showing "Yes". From what you've said though that is unlikely to be the problem. Your DIL only has 11 matches, Family Finder has been around about 8 years so your DIL will only get about 1 or 2 matches a year unless the database grows significantly or more with Japanese ancestry test here. You can't compare to her matches at Ancestry as Ancestry's database size is much, much larger than Family Finder.

Comment

Also you say she is an Ancestry transfer which will limit the amount of distant matches that she will have here because Ancestry and FTDNA don't test all the same SNPs.

Comment

OK I found that and everything is set to yes. So should be good.

She has been on FTDNA about a year and a half. I though FTDNA was as large as the others. So I was thinking maybe something was wrong. I did read 1.5 million kits were sold total up to Christmas, so there should be more matches soon.

So if the two companies test different SNP's then the matches she has may be closer than the appear? Maybe?

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Originally posted by 1alan1 View Post
              OK I found that and everything is set to yes. So should be good.

She has been on FTDNA about a year and a half. I though FTDNA was as large as the others. So I was thinking maybe something was wrong. I did read 1.5 million kits were sold total up to Christmas, so there should be more matches soon.

So if the two companies test different SNP's then the matches she has may be closer than the appear? Maybe?

Thanks again for the help
              You must have been reading about something else as FTDNA has never announced the size of the Family Finder database. Here is their databases but notice no mention of Family Finder:
              https://www.familytreedna.com/why-ftdna.aspx

Family Finder is estimated by some to only contain about 700,000 kits, but nobody outside FTDNA knows for sure.
              https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA...mparison_chart

She will get less matches being a transfer as there are gaps in the data to compare to. No, it shouldn't for the most part effect accuracy of the matches she does have. Although I would take the predicted cousin relationships with a grain of salt, beyond say 3rd cousin or third cousins once removed it is difficult if not impossible to predict a 5th cousin from a 10th cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post

She will get less matches being a transfer as there are gaps in the data to compare to. No, it shouldn't for the most part effect accuracy of the matches she does have. Although I would take the predicted cousin relationships with a grain of salt, beyond say 3rd cousin or third cousins once removed it is difficult if not impossible to predict a 5th cousin from a 10th cousin.
                This depends on the Ancestry version, if it was AncestryV1, it is pretty much equivalent to FTDNA's chip version
                But if tested after about mid May 2016 it will be on the AncestryV2 chip.
                AncestryV2 transfers only get partial matchlist, Immediate to 4th Cousin, no 4th to Remote.

FTDNA tests around 715,000 autosomal and X SNPs
                AncestryV1 overlap (SNPs that can be used by FTDNA) is around 690,000 autosomal and X SNPs
                AncestryV2 overlap is only around 427,000 autosomal and X SNPs

So I agree, depending on chip version may affect your match numbers in FTDNA database. Although testing directly with FTDNA may not increase numbers that much in respects to an under tested population

Comment

The 1.5 million test kits sold was from all 3 major DNA testing companies in the US, running up to Christmas. I am now starting to see more popping up on Ancestry and 23andme. Another 3 on Ancestry yesterday and two on 23andme. I suspect FTDNA will be more shortly.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking something or had a setting disabled etc.

Thanks for the replies!
                  Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X