Have put a 2C2R DNA match on the tree and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have put a 2C2R DNA match on the tree and

linked them. They're a paternal relative. They should at some point show as a paternal match shouldn't they, plus anyone who shares those matching segments (there doesn't appear to be anyone who shares those segments in the database yet though)?

I think it will depend on how much DNA you share with this match and FTDNA's listed relationship range.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...tching-system/
    "The Family Matching tool is not limited to Parents and uses anyone currently linked to your tree between Parent to 3rd cousin."

So if FTDNA lists them with a further relationship then 3rd, they will not be used in the maternal paternal tab matching, unless they are sharing DNA with a closer linked relative

Comment

I was hoping that a 2C2R would be considered the same degree of relatedness as a third cousin, since they are, but the 2C2R isn't blue yet.

I noticed once before that it took a few days for a 3C to turn blue after being linked.

Comment

Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
        I was hoping that a 2C2R would be considered the same degree of relatedness as a third cousin, since they are, but the 2C2R isn't blue yet.

I noticed once before that it took a few days for a 3C to turn blue after being linked.
        What relationship does FTDNA assign this 2C2R? If further then 3rd cousin, it will not be used in maternal and paternal tab phasing.

Comment

For what it's worth ... I've just now added and linked a paternal 2C1R to my tree. The "linked relationship" showed up immediately on my Matches page, and within a minute or two the matches in the Paternal tab increased. (We share 117 cMs and the largest is 45.)

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstood how the FtDNA phasing works. I thought your known relative had to be a third cousin or closer for it to work (regardless of how much DNA they share), and it's not determined by how close FtDNA estimates the relationship to be. BUT, the other matches that triangulate with them would only turn blue if they shared enough of the same segment.

The paternal match that isn't blue yet is estimated as a 2nd-4th cousin and FtDNA says they share 79cM, longest segment 44.

A known 3C (maternal) has been linked to the tree and shares 48cM, longest segment 20. They're red and consequently so is their son and a few people that I don't know the connection to.
            Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 7 January 2018, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Through tree experiments, I think the pattern is that the cutoff trigger is an addition of the numbers in the relationship.

Examples

3C = 3 pass
              3C1R = 4 fail
              2C2R = 4 fail
              2C1R = 3 pass

Comment

Thanks ech,

Hopefully in the future they'll change it to include 2C2R, because the degree of relatedness is the same as a third cousin.

Comment

Working...
                X