X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loobster
    replied
    Originally posted by loobster View Post
    So far, nobody has attempted to change a password.
    If they did, you are probably primary e-mail, and so would get e-mail with the new password (could happen if the tried to log in, goofed, and clicked forgot password, reset password -- but you could just assure them when you give them Kit Number and Password that if they ever forget it, you can provide it again for them - so they will have no reason to try to reset it.
    --Jinxed myself, apparently. Wrote that, and today there was announcement of Kit results in for new kit - and a link to reset the password to the kit (and crossing fingers).

Was a relative who was interested, and def. wanted to get announcements, so I put her e-mail first on ones for Kit Sent To -- so she shows as the e-mail others see, and gets announcements - per how it now seems to work, that was the only way I could think for her to get announcements -- AND she got the announcement results were in, sent around 1 am, couldn't recall her password, so did a reset.
    They did not send me the new password - possibly because I am not primary e-mail - but did send me option to reset it myself(possibly because I am primary e-mail for purchasing kit) - with a link good for 24-hours.

Spoke to her - she promised to find password and send me the new password, so am ignoring the option for me to reset it.
    Last edited by loobster; 27 January 2018, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• loobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Lassie View Post
    If I give them the user name and password for their kit I risk losing access to it and/or the use of it for research.
    I believe it is still the case that the Primary e-mail - and only the primary e-mail - receives notification of any change to password. Kits do not have a user name - just a Kit Number - and I do not think you have the option to change it.

Just how likely is it these folks who tested for you and are happy to have you manage their kit would purposely change the password so you could not get in to the kit?

I always provide Kit Number and Password to all relatives who test for me that have e-mail, and sometimes to those who do not in case they have a spouse or child with e-mail who may be interested.

So far, nobody has attempted to change a password.
    If they did, you are probably primary e-mail, and so would get e-mail with the new password (could happen if the tried to log in, goofed, and clicked forgot password, reset password -- but you could just assure them when you give them Kit Number and Password that if they ever forget it, you can provide it again for them - so they will have no reason to try to reset it.

And - as has been mentioned - if the worst happens, and they really want to prevent you from seeing the DNA - FTDNA will support your right until they repay you. These folks tested for you, trust you - is this really likely? I have begged strangers to test, ordered & paid, and given them the kit number and password without worrying they would lock me out.

Leave a comment:

• Lassie
    replied
    Managing another kit at Ancestry

I have found that Ancestry a person can elect for another to Manage their kit. The manager can:
    View this persons ethnicity estimate.
    Learn about communities connected to this persons through common ancestors.
    Find out who is related to this person through a specific ancestor.
    Link this person's test results to family trees.
    Change test display preferences.
    Invite others to access test results.
    Assign and change account roles.
    Modify, add data, or permanently delete test results.
    Send and respond to messages from this person's account.

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    Originally posted by Lassie View Post
    I have many kits that all have different logins and passwords. The DNA has been volunteered from parents, aunts, 2nd cousins etc for me to find out more about one mystery ancestor in particular. I have even had family members approach me to volunteer their DNA should I need it but I am only testing those that should have DNA that is useful to figure out who our mystery ancestor is.

I have paid for all kits and administer all with permission. It would actually help me out if they had access to their kit and could use it as I think that would get them interested and perhaps other family might like to test themselves for comparison. If I give them the user name and password for their kit I risk losing access to it and/or the use of it for research.

I have just sent one DNA sample off to Ancestry as I think that will work in a more collaborative manner.
    FTDNA will always give you access (by contacting them), you only have to prove you paid for test by giving payment info.

Ancestry will be the same, each has their own account under a different email, that account then sets you up as Admin which links it to your account. At any time they can remove access to you. (EDIT, I see you can give someone access as a view only at ancestry, without giving them logon info...

Difference between Ancestry and FTDNA, At FTDNA 3rd party who paid for test has rights to see results until reimbursed, At Ancestry 3rd Party does not.
    Last edited by prairielad; 1 January 2018, 12:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lassie
    replied
    I have many kits that all have different logins and passwords. The DNA has been volunteered from parents, aunts, 2nd cousins etc for me to find out more about one mystery ancestor in particular. I have even had family members approach me to volunteer their DNA should I need it but I am only testing those that should have DNA that is useful to figure out who our mystery ancestor is.

I have paid for all kits and administer all with permission. It would actually help me out if they had access to their kit and could use it as I think that would get them interested and perhaps other family might like to test themselves for comparison. If I give them the user name and password for their kit I risk losing access to it and/or the use of it for research.

I have just sent one DNA sample off to Ancestry as I think that will work in a more collaborative manner.

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    Currently the only way to access multiple accounts under one log in is to apply for a FamilyFinder project at FTDNA. Then have each kit join project. Each tester retains their login credentials, and admin of familyfinder project can view each account using their own single login from projects homepage.

Note, kit holder can at anytime change their own password or remove themselves from project which will remove access for project admin, but as per FTNDA policy, if tester did not pay for test you have right to view results until said tester reimburses you (if you are the one that paid for test). Kit Holder (one who provided sample) owns kit, but can not deny access if someone else paid until they prove 3rd party has been reimbursed.

Even though you paid for test, it belongs to tester, you can not deny them access of original login and passwords either

Leave a comment:

• jimbirk
    replied
    Your question has me confused.

Each FTDNA Family Finder test has its own kit number and password for just that kit number.

I paid for my brother's Family Finder test. His kit number and password have nothing to do with my kit. The only thing in common with the two kits is my email address.

The only possible problem with giving out the kit number and password is that once signed in to the account the password and/or email address can be changed.

As long as your relatives aren't jokesters/jerks all should be OK.

Otherwise, send those miscreants on a one way trip to bullamanka.

Leave a comment:

• Lassie
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post

Word was that FTDNA was working on a way to manage multiple kits. It is possible they are already working for something similar to what you are looking for.

That would be great if they could do that. I think it would encourage more family to get involved once they get an idea how it all works.

Leave a comment:

• The_Contemplator
    replied
    No. However, since you paid for it, the FTDNA terms say that he can't revoke access to the kit unless he repaid you what you paid for the test. So if something were to happen, you at least have some peace of mind that FTDNA will help you out.

Word was that FTDNA was working on a way to manage multiple kits. It is possible they are already working for something similar to what you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Lassie
    started a topic Inviting others to view/use their DNA page

Inviting others to view/use their DNA page

I am researching a great grandfather and have paid for a cousin or two to do testing to use for comparison and matching. Is there any way I can give them access to their Family Tree DNA page and matches without giving them my user name and password.
Working...
X