Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousins from USA

Hello,
    I did my Family Fender recently. I don't know my father...I'am french and never in my family, nobody talked to me about my father, just perhaps, he could be american ( GI in France during the sixteen's years...)or Britanny, from west of France.
    In my results, the matches are very strange for me, because I'have about 185 people from USA!!!!! One second cousin, 3th and 4th, 5th cousin! I need some informations about the results, because my mother is really french and her family!
    I could to supposed than my father is américan?
    Thanks for help me,
    Nathalie

What are your results for "Ethnic Makeup Percentage" in the "myOrigins" section?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathalie AB View Post
      Hello,
      I did my Family Fender recently. I don't know my father...I'am french and never in my family, nobody talked to me about my father, just perhaps, he could be american ( GI in France during the sixteen's years...)or Britanny, from west of France.
      In my results, the matches are very strange for me, because I'have about 185 people from USA!!!!! One second cousin, 3th and 4th, 5th cousin! I need some informations about the results, because my mother is really french and her family!
      I could to supposed than my father is américan?
      Thanks for help me,
      Nathalie
      Bonjour Nathalie!

Welcome!

The problem with saying or finding out from your matches if your father was from the USA is that people from the USA are relatively new to this continent so we are all basically immigrants from other countries like France or Italy or Africa. The only “true” Americans are Native Americans or North American Indians.

Perhaps you have very close matches that live in the USA that would suggest that your paternal side might have lived in the USA? Have you tried contacting these matches and telling them your story to see if they know of any relation that was overseas during WWII? That is where I would start.

I am not sure a breakdown of her ancestry would help as this man could be of any ethnic group & still live in the USA-she could be 50% French & 50% Mediterranean or Arabic or English or Irish. That wouldn’t tell us where he lives now.

Bonne chance!

Amybeth

Comment

One second cousin, 3th and 4th, 5th cousin!
        by second cousin -
        do you mean Range of 1st-3rd Cousin (which is suggested second cousin) -
        or 2nd-3rd Cousin(which is also suggested 2nd)
        or closer
        OR do you mean Range of 2nd-4th -- which is Suggested 3rd Cousin, NOT 2nd Cousin??

If you mean Relationship Range of 2-3rd or Closer, then definitely try contacting that person, because that means there is a good chance they really are a second cousin - which would mean you have grandparents who are siblings -- and even if a 2nd cousin once removed, they may be able to provide info
        And - possibly - these folks can suggest others to try to talk into testing, which might help define the likely possibilities

Comment

It's a bit hard to say since barely anyone in France has taken these tests (I've even heard it's illegal, but I guess not?) and tons have taken them in the U.S., far more than those from any other country, so the database results always tend to be skewed towards U.S./English matches.

That said, a second cousin match does sound pretty close (if it says just second or second or third) and if you don't know of any recent family that has gone to America, I guess that could be a hint that your dad is an American.

bonne chance

Comment

My Origins

Originally posted by J Honeychuck View Post
            What are your results for "Ethnic Makeup Percentage" in the "myOrigins" section?
            I got 78 percent European west and Central, 15 percent North Africa (I'm a little surprised) 3 Ashkenazi Jew, 4 Asia
            Nothing for the British Isles, even with cousins in matches bearing names Scottish, English, Irish

Comment

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
              Bonjour Nathalie!

Welcome!

The problem with saying or finding out from your matches if your father was from the USA is that people from the USA are relatively new to this continent so we are all basically immigrants from other countries like France or Italy or Africa. The only “true” Americans are Native Americans or North American Indians.

Perhaps you have very close matches that live in the USA that would suggest that your paternal side might have lived in the USA? Have you tried contacting these matches and telling them your story to see if they know of any relation that was overseas during WWII? That is where I would start.

I am not sure a breakdown of her ancestry would help as this man could be of any ethnic group & still live in the USA-she could be 50% French & 50% Mediterranean or Arabic or English or Irish. That wouldn’t tell us where he lives now.

Bonne chance!

Amybeth
              Hello,
              Of course, I am aware that the American people, are the Indians, amérindiens... the best is to say American from European immigration. I have several times Scottish names that come back in matches, English and Irish, a bit of Slavic too.
              I'll send a message to each of my cousins of matches, tell them my story, we'll see!

Comment

I got 78 percent European west and Central, 15 percent North Africa (I'm a little surprised) 3 Ashkenazi Jew, 4 Asia
                Nothing for the British Isles, even with cousins in matches bearing names Scottish, English, Irish
                I see. There are a few Americans with no British ancestry. Italian Americans and Hispanics, maybe. But you got 0% for Iberia and Southeast Europe, so that's not a good theory. There may be some Americans in Louisiana who are of entirely French ancestry, which would support your European West and Central.

There were very few Americans in France in the 1960s. Just the NATO headquarters near Paris I guess. Were you born near Paris?

Comment

Cousins

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                  by second cousin -
                  do you mean Range of 1st-3rd Cousin (which is suggested second cousin) -
                  or 2nd-3rd Cousin(which is also suggested 2nd)
                  or closer
                  OR do you mean Range of 2nd-4th -- which is Suggested 3rd Cousin, NOT 2nd Cousin??

If you mean Relationship Range of 2-3rd or Closer, then definitely try contacting that person, because that means there is a good chance they really are a second cousin - which would mean you have grandparents who are siblings -- and even if a 2nd cousin once removed, they may be able to provide info
                  And - possibly - these folks can suggest others to try to talk into testing, which might help define the likely possibilities
                  I have 2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin ( just one ), 3rd Cousin - 5th cousin ( 4) and 5th - remote cousin or 4th - remote cousin...

Comment

Nato Orléans

I see. There are a few Americans with no British ancestry. Italian Americans and Hispanics, maybe. But you got 0% for Iberia and Southeast Europe, so that's not a good theory. There may be some Americans in Louisiana who are of entirely French ancestry, which would support your European West and Central.

There were very few Americans in France in the 1960s. Just the NATO headquarters near Paris I guess. Were you born near Paris?
                    Yes!!! I lived in Orléans during my childhood, I was born in 1963. There was a NATO base in the years 60. My mother worked in a deli and many young people worked for the Americans, I know that children were born without a father.. There were also American weddings. My mother doesn't want to tell me anything about my father! Once, she fought violently with her beautiful mother who shouted to her that she knew that my father was American... I was 7 when I heard that...

Comment

190 matches from USA

Originally posted by wombat View Post
                      It's a bit hard to say since barely anyone in France has taken these tests (I've even heard it's illegal, but I guess not?) and tons have taken them in the U.S., far more than those from any other country, so the database results always tend to be skewed towards U.S./English matches.

That said, a second cousin match does sound pretty close (if it says just second or second or third) and if you don't know of any recent family that has gone to America, I guess that could be a hint that your dad is an American.

bonne chance
                      Hello
                      Let's say that I did not hesitate to do the test in the USA, in France, actually, it is illegal but with Family Tree Dna We can receive the kits in France. As I heard in my childhood that my father was an American, I thought that I would inevitably have results and it did not fail! Since I have 190 matches from USA!

Comment

Yes!!! I lived in Orléans during my childhood, I was born in 1963. There was a NATO base in the years 60. My mother worked in a deli and many young people worked for the Americans, I know that children were born without a father.. There were also American weddings. My mother doesn't want to tell me anything about my father! Once, she fought violently with her beautiful mother who shouted to her that she knew that my father was American... I was 7 when I heard that...
                        Of course at the NATO base there would have been Germans, Belgians, Dutch, and of course French military personnel. They would all have Europe West and Central DNA.

Anyway, you now know that if your father was an American he was not of British, Italian, or Hispanic ancestry. That narrows it down. Besides Cajuns in Louisiana, there would have been Czech Americans in Nebraska, German Americans in the upper midwest... Maybe other people can think of other possibilities.

If only your mother would cooperate.

Comment

Put your Family Finder data on www.gedmatch.com and you will see some "cousins" from another company called Ancestry.com

Comment

Of course at the NATO base there would have been Germans, Belgians, Dutch, and of course French military personnel. They would all have Europe West and Central DNA.

Anyway, you now know that if your father was an American he was not of British, Italian, or Hispanic ancestry. That narrows it down. Besides Cajuns in Louisiana, there would have been Czech Americans in Nebraska, German Americans in the upper midwest... Maybe other people can think of other possibilities.

If only your mother would cooperate.
                            I actually have people of Czech origin in my matches... Even with Anglo Saxon names for some, I have a cousinage with a Brazilian!

Comment

Before you jump to the conclusion that your father was American, consider the huge number of French who have immigrated to America. Your direct ancestors in your mother's line obviously did not emigrate, but what about the siblings and cousins of all your ancestors. Some of them probably settled in America and had children.

My mother's grandfather in one line immigrated from France, in another line her great-grandfather was from France, and if you go back to the 1600s, she has at least 3 more French ancestors, some coming from the French West Indies.

That's just my mother's line. My father's parents immigrated from Italy. We are a nation of immigrants and you are bound to be related to some of us even if your father was not American. Few people from France have done a DNA test.

Most people in the database are American, so that's almost all you can match. My mother doesn't have a single match here as far as know, in her French lines of Mangeot or Messmer and I know quite a bit about their ancestors.

She had one grandparent whose ancestors were colonial American, but I would say that 95% of her matches are on that side. At one point I wondered if her mother was not really the daughter of her French father, but testing a first cousin proved that she was. The problem is that few French people have tested.

My mother does get a number of matches to French Canadians, leading me to believe that one are more of the siblings of some unknown French ancestors immigrated to Canada in the 1600s.

Comment

Working...
                              X