No announcement yet.

Cousins from USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if your father was born around 1930, his parents may have been of just one ethnicity, like Czech. After then Americans were more likely to have parents of different ethnicities, such as I do. So don't concentrate on the composition of living FTDNA customers, look for people with grandfathers of West or Central European ancestry.

How close is your closest cousin with Family Finder?

Comment

GetMatches

Originally posted by J Honeychuck View Post
      Put your Family Finder data on www.gedmatch.com and you will see some "cousins" from another company called Ancestry.com
      thank you!

Comment

Well if your father was born around 1930, his parents may have been of just one ethnicity, like Czech. After then Americans were more likely to have parents of different ethnicities, such as I do. So don't concentrate on the composition of living FTDNA customers, look for people with grandfathers of West or Central European ancestry.

How close is your closest cousin with Family Finder?
        The degree of proximity is 2nd-4th cousin, it's a woman with a Saxon name, most of her cousins live in the USA and England

Comment

That's an important clue.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
            Before you jump to the conclusion that your father was American, consider the huge number of French who have immigrated to America. Your direct ancestors in your mother's line obviously did not emigrate, but what about the siblings and cousins of all your ancestors. Some of them probably settled in America and had children.

My mother's grandfather in one line immigrated from France, in another line her great-grandfather was from France, and if you go back to the 1600s, she has at least 3 more French ancestors, some coming from the French West Indies.

That's just my mother's line. My father's parents immigrated from Italy. We are a nation of immigrants and you are bound to be related to some of us even if your father was not American. Few people from France have done a DNA test.

Most people in the database are American, so that's almost all you can match. My mother doesn't have a single match here as far as know, in her French lines of Mangeot or Messmer and I know quite a bit about their ancestors.

She had one grandparent whose ancestors were colonial American, but I would say that 95% of her matches are on that side. At one point I wondered if her mother was not really the daughter of her French father, but testing a first cousin proved that she was. The problem is that few French people have tested.

My mother does get a number of matches to French Canadians, leading me to believe that one are more of the siblings of some unknown French ancestors immigrated to Canada in the 1600s.
            Thank you very much, it's very interesting! On my mother's side, I didn't see any immigration to Canada, I was able to go back to the 16th century!
            After, actually, I don't know anything about my father!

Comment

How many cMs do you share with your 2nd cousin, and with your 3rd cousin?

As the others have suggested, uploading to GEDmatch is important. It is free and takes less than 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
                How many cMs do you share with your 2nd cousin, and with your 3rd cousin?

As the others have suggested, uploading to GEDmatch is important. It is free and takes less than 10 minutes.
                Hello,

I have 48 cMs with second cousin, and 45 for the third
                Last edited by Nathalie AB; 30 December 2017, 04:11 AM.

Comment

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv2

According to this chart, there is a wide variance of possibilities for kinship/relationship, even 5C1R, with your stated cMs.

And, just google GEDmatch, follow instructions, and upload. That should "open up your world".
                  Last edited by Biblioteque; 30 December 2017, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Welcome

I am glad you took the test, Nathalie! I hope you encourage your friends to do DNA testing because we sure need more people from Europe to get involved. I really wanted to test my step-dad as he had German roots that went for many generations and it would have been fun to see what would have come from his DNA. Sadly, I wasn't able to do that before he died. I hope you can solve the mystery of your father.

Good luck!

Sue
                    Vancouver, Washington, USA

Comment

Put your Family Finder data on www.gedmatch.com and you will see some "cousins" from another company called Ancestry.com
                      This will only happen if they have uploaded to GEDMatch and GEDMatch works. I uploaded my FTDNA test and had a 4th cousin as the closest match.

I did a kit at Ancestry and have 4 first cousins that two match m but not the others and the other two match me but not the other two so it appears I have found my paternal and maternal line.

Same goes for second cousins. I have eight listed there. 4 match one side four the other. None of these people showed up as a match to me on GEDMatch and I know four of them have uploaded there.

I uploaded my Ancestry kit there as well and the people still do not show up there. I am in the same situation as OP. I am looking for my biological father and I have a mother who was adopted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Collins View Post
                        I am glad you took the test, Nathalie! I hope you encourage your friends to do DNA testing because we sure need more people from Europe to get involved. I really wanted to test my step-dad as he had German roots that went for many generations and it would have been fun to see what would have come from his DNA. Sadly, I wasn't able to do that before he died. I hope you can solve the mystery of your father.

Good luck!

Sue
                        Vancouver, Washington, USA
                        Thank you very much Sue!! I have a friend recently, she wrote to FMTDNA, because she would like to do a test, she has probably some family from south america! And, I have an other friend, she would like also to do the test DNA, she has a great father from 1918 France war, from america! Happy new year 2018! Nathalie

Comment

Originally posted by Nathalie AB View Post
                          I have 2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin ( just one ), 3rd Cousin - 5th cousin ( 4) and 5th - remote cousin or 4th - remote cousin...
                          When FTDNA says 2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin -- - strongly suggest you think of this as a 3rd Cousin, not a 2nd cousin

and think of those fTDNA says in the range of 3rd-5th as 4th Cousins

See:
                          https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...y-finder-match
                          [have Table-form of info, but its link no longer finds anything]

Comment

In my experience, the "estimated generations to the Most Recent Common Ancestor" on GEDmatch, and perhaps also about the same for FTDNA and Ancestry estimated relationships, is reasonably aqccurate out to about 2nd cousins. Beyond that, the algorithm for estimating generations doesn't have much to work with (the amount of shared DNA is just too small, and the range of possible results for a given relationship is just too large). Predicted "4th cousins" frequently turn out to be at least one or two generations more remote, if the connection can be found at all. For that matter, most of my "2nd to 4th" cousins on FTDNA are still completely mysterious, suggesting that the connection must be farther back.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                              When FTDNA says 2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin -- - strongly suggest you think of this as a 3rd Cousin, not a 2nd cousin

and think of those fTDNA says in the range of 3rd-5th as 4th Cousins

See:
                              https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...y-finder-match
                              [have Table-form of info, but its link no longer finds anything]
                              Thank you, indeed, I have already documented Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
                              X