My Heritage has 670,000 matches?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Heritage has 670,000 matches?

Supposedly, a guy who works for My Heritage is saying that they have 670,000 people in their database.
    http://thednageek.com/myheritage-has...heir-database/

The guy who does this autosomal comparison chart has stuck by his estimate of 5550,000 users for ftdna.https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA...mparison_chart

I know that each company has different criteria for matches. Could someone tell me how many matches they have with a longest block of 12 cm at FTDNA or Ancestry as well as their total number of My Heritage matches?

For the record, I have 406 matches at My Heritage and 1,058 matches with a longest block of at least 12 at FTDNA. I'd like to know if the 2.5 to 1 ratio is typical.
    Last edited by Frank Kelch; 26th November 2017, 03:46 PM.

Hi,

As of me, i have total 370 matches on FTDNA from which the longest block matches 12 and over are 18. I have transferred my kit from MH almost 2 months ago. On MH i have as of now 88 matches in total since march of this year.

My brother has total 394 matches on FTDNA from MH kit transferred at the same time as me. The longest block of 12 and over are 17 matches. On MH he has as of now from march of this year only 9 matches.

Comment

G:
      12+ cM at FtDNA = 498
      Total matches at MyHeritage 116

S:
      432 12cM and over at FtDNA
      122 total at MH

Comment

Typical My Hertitage bull

[QUOTE=Frank Kelch;445890]Supposedly, a guy who works for My Heritage is saying that they have 670,000 people in their database.

Considering they are fairly new to DNA testing, I find it difficult to put credence on an unsubstantiated remark.
        Liars everywhere.

Comment

I don't care if the match percentages are smaller, they're a young company, so they are allowed to be small and then grow.

My Heritage is more worldly. Ancestry doesn't share matches with Britain, for example. For Britain, you have to do a separate Ancestry UK test. What about Europe and the rest of the world? Don't we all have DNA from other places too?

In contrast from My Heritage, for my Father, I have Britain, Ireland and Australia as DNA matches.

For my Uncle, I have Mexico and even one from Spain.

That's what I wanted to know.

Comment

I've never heard of a separate Ancestry UK test and I doubt there is one. Humans are humans. Humans in the UK are not a different species that require their own special test.

I'm prepared to state that I think the figures for MyHeritage are being exaggerated. The link for thednageek kinda says that too.

Comment

I know Ancestry has an Ancestry UK for their Records from there -- but you do not have to subscribe to their Records to do the DNA test.

Comment

My DNA hails from Portugal, Spain, India, and South America.

FTDNA: 20 (12cM+)
                MH: 7 (total)
                GEDmatch: 50 (12cM+)

Added in the last just to illustrate how uncommon I am in all databases. My husband is German, Italian, and British and these are his figures:

FTDNA: 589
                MH: 237 (didn't check for duplicates)
                GEDmatch: 1623

Comment

[QUOTE=JDP1144;446074]
                  Originally posted by Frank Kelch View Post
                  Supposedly, a guy who works for My Heritage is saying that they have 670,000 people in their database.

Considering they are fairly new to DNA testing, I find it difficult to put credence on an unsubstantiated remark.
                  Liars everywhere.

they only have 67,000 in there database someone put too many zeros

Comment

Originally posted by Aniara View Post
                    My DNA hails from Portugal, Spain, India, and South America.

Added in the last just to illustrate how uncommon I am in all databases. My husband is German, Italian, and British
                    That's because mid-size Anglo company assume every one read English. If they spend a small amount of money to make it available in just some more language. They will attract much more international attention. Ancestry/MyHeritage has understand that.
                    Also DNA kits are available to order via Amazone (which has great shiping price, mostly zero). But there you can't order FTDNA as international customer(23andme and Ancestry works).

Comment

Don't discount the fact that I am a first generation immigrant. My other immigrant family members are only from the previous two or three generations and very few in number.

My husband has almost 50% more matches than his mom who is half Italian, and her Italian grandparents were first generation immigrants. Most of her matches are on her British side, and they're descended from Squire Boone. But my FIL's side is all German and has been here since the early 1700s, over 150 years before my husband's Italian great grandparents got here.

We spoke only English in Trinidad, but my mother never heard of autosomal tests, and neither had my second cousin who is about my age. I'm sure they don't have ads on tv there for Ancestry DNA like we do here. It's not simply about what language you speak/read. It's about marketing. And free shipping on Amazon is not the same as marketing.

I use Amazon all the time, and I started using it before most people knew it even existed, yet autosomal tests were never suggested to me and I never thought to go looking for them there. And it's not to say I only just recently became interested in this test. But until I just casually started searching last year, I didn't know it was even available. I don't watch tv (unless I'm sitting in the break room at work and the volume is too high to ignore), so if there were ads back then, I wouldn't know.

FTDNA ships internationally, but they should really get some advertising to these other countries.

Comment

My data:

My Heritage matches: 4

Ftdna matches with longest block => 12 cM: 19

ratio: 4.75

(It seems too few Italians are taking dna tests these days...).
                        Last edited by montagnoli; 14th December 2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by montagnoli View Post
                          (It seems too few Italians are taking dna tests these days...).
                          DNA testing may be illegal in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                            DNA testing may be illegal in Italy.
                            It's not, and I know from personal contacts that there have been new testers this year who reside in Sicily who have Sicilian ancestry and, in one case, Northern Italian ancestry. It's just that Italians as a whole have a long way to catch up to the level of popularity of DNA testing among other nationalities and ethnicities.

Comment

My heritage matches went from 230 to 2660 over 10 times the database in one day

Comment

Working...
                              X