Cousin matches in my and son's DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousin matches in my and son's DNA

My son and I both submitted dna to FTDNA. A cousin appears in my dna showing a "paternal" icon and a possible 2-4 cousin.

This same cousin appears in my son's dna showing a "maternal" icon - possible 2-4 cousin.

This cousin is only related to my son through his father's line.

Is something mixed up in a situation like this?

The paternal and maternal icons only appear when you successfully link someone to your tree.

If your son matches your cousin on his maternbal side then either you have linked him to your son's tree in the wrong place or your son has a clear match with the cousin on his maternal side and the paternal side match is not yet showing up through existing links.

The other option is that your kit could be showing as a femnale kit rather than a male kit so check that it is a male kit. For example if it lets you add a YDNA kit to your cart then you are designated as male and you should see a male icon on your tree. Sometimes if you have added a photo then you might not be aware which sex has been attributed to your kit. So in this case, if you connected your cousin to your son's kit through you and you were designated as a female then your son would get a maternal symbol.

I hope this helps.

Comment

are you the father or the mother of your son ?

Comment

Cousin Matches in my Son's DNA

Thank you so very much for responding. I will try to understand how to fix this based on your posting. I am mother.

Regarding this particular cousin: I found the family that my son is connected to in his dna and linked that cousin and her line down to him. It recognized the link and registered as 3rd cousin.

As a test, I then found a family that that particular cousin could be related to on my mother and father's side of the family and linked that cousin and it recognized the link in my dna as a 3rd cousin.

I will remove the link in my dna until I understand more.

Right now I am lost.

Comment

FtDNA uses your links (which you have added) for relatives out to 3rd cousins to find segments of DNA you and each cousin share with someone else. I've linked a few 2nd and 3rd cousins who has tested and consequently some matches (with an as yet unknown genealogical connection) are showing as maternal or paternal.

By using the chromosome browser I can see which known paternal or maternal relative/s they share the segment with.

Comment

Coousin Matches in my son's DNA

I have found my problem but don't know what to do about it.

This cousin that is in both my dna and my son's dna matches on 2 different chromosomes. One chromosome is where I have found matching cousins in my son's dna and the other chromosome is where I have found matching cousins in my dna. So, she is related to me from my father's side and she is related to my son through his father's side.

Since I linked others, along with her, to my father's side, it picked up that chromosome and caused it to link others, creating a "maternal" icon in my son's dna.

Does this make any sense?

Gwen

Comment

What you have described makes perfect sense.

The system was correct and seems to have guided you in solving the problem.

In an ideal world, the person would be shown as "both" icons to your son. What the situation is perhaps that the grouping of people that represents the "paternal" chromosome segment may be weaker than 3rd cousins. That may not trigger the paternal icon. You being the mother has triggered the maternal icon.

I have seen situations where you can combine the paper trail and the chromosome browser to clearly assign a certain line, but you cannot force the icons unless a 3rd cousin or better tests. Icons are a very recent innovation and FTDNA did say they intend to extend the range of triggers in future enhancements.
              Last edited by ech124; 15 September 2017, 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Cousin Matches in my Son's DNA

Thanks for responding.

You are right, the match in my son's dna is weaker than in my dna. There are 3 cousins affected like this - all from the same family.

Will it mess the program up if I link them in my dna to my father's line and then link them in my son's dna to his father's line?

I don't want to confuse the program.

Comment

Originally posted by GwenRBurgess View Post
                  Thanks for responding.

You are right, the match in my son's dna is weaker than in my dna. There are 3 cousins affected like this - all from the same family.

Will it mess the program up if I link them in my dna to my father's line and then link them in my son's dna to his father's line?

I don't want to confuse the program.

That shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X