Matches disappeared on all kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matches disappeared on all kits

All my FF matches < ~350 cM are gone now, in at least three separate kits. Only a handful of close matches left.

What's going on?

its their new 2.0. you matched those folks with the 1.0 version, but you're no longer related with the new 2.0 version. how's them apples?

Comment

Originally posted by JerryS. View Post
      its their new 2.0. you matched those folks with the 1.0 version, but you're no longer related with the new 2.0 version. how's them apples?
      1.0 and 2.0 version of what?

Comment

Did you change the settings to show only close matches or to receive email about only close matches. If so, change your settings back to "All".

MyOrigins version 2.0 has no effect on whether or not you see your FF. matches.

Comment

Okay, thanks MoberlyDrake for the heads up about the email matches. I got the tip to change that to cut down spam from the forums and had no idea until I went back and parsed the language that it applies to both displayed matches and email notifications, making this feature effectively useless for family finder unless I swap it every time I log in.

I guess I can still suppress the low Y matches as those are rarely of any interest.

Good to know, but if any staff is listening I think it would be much more useful as an email/notification only setting. Or at least to have separate settings. I don't see much use in hiding matches on the results page that's already default sorted by distance.

Comment

Wow, so at the top there is also this message, which I guess I ignored previously also:

Match and Email Settings affect both parties of a match:
            * When you and a match both have the relevant match level set to Yes, you will see each other as a match.
            * If one of you sets the relevant match level to No, neither of you will see the other as a match.

This is just mixing up too many things. If I get emails every time I get a new Y-12 match when I've got multiple kits deep into M222, effectively I get a flood of noisy unsorted FTDNA email and ignore it all. But I can't cut this down without not only hiding my matches from results and search results altogether, but also hiding my own kit from other matches?

This makes no sense to me. How many matches are invisible to me because people got sick of spam and turned them off? Is there some other email option I'm missing?

Comment

We've been complaining about this forever!!! It makes absolutely no sense to combine the two functions!

And there are probably lots of people who don't know that turning off email notifications has made them invisible to their matches and vice versa.

Comment

Haha! This is where I'd hit the "like" button, if there was one.

Yes, it's poorly implemented, and we've been going on about it since forever. I do think it's fair that if you elect to hide your matches from the world, you should not be able to see other people's either - privacy waiver should be reciprocal, so you don't get "lurkers" who see everything yet disclose nothing.

But privacy is completely distinct from email notification. "I don't need to be alerted all the time" does NOT mean: "I don't want to see or be seen."

Comment

Originally posted by Tmason View Post
                  I do think it's fair that if you elect to hide your matches from the world, you should not be able to see other people's either - privacy waiver should be reciprocal, so you don't get "lurkers" who see everything yet disclose nothing.
                  I agree that if don't want others to see you as a match, you shouldn't be able to see them either!

Comment

Working...
                  X