Only 4 atdna matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 4 atdna matches

My cousin and I have shared passwords and user names, so we can view each other's results.
    I'm at a stand still - my cousins account shows only 4 matches which are ones I am an administrator for and no one else...........just 4?
    We have all uploaded our data to gedmatch. When I sign onto my cousins site he has many T (logo for ftdna) matches - excluding my 4 accounts - starting at 53 cm's and down.
    Why don't they show up on his results page on ftdna?

Did your cousin test directly at FTDNA for the FF test, or did he transfer his autosomal test from another company? As I understand transferred tests don't get the more distant matches that tests run directly by FTDNA will get. Could this possibly be the reason for your cousins lack of matches here at FTDNA?

Comment

Could be

Yes he did, but then so did I. We both uploaded from Ancestry. I have 405 matches. could there be another reason.

Comment

Did you or your cousin check his Account Settings? He may not have them set to allow all matches to show.

You can do this by going to his name in the upper right of any page in his account, hovering over the name, and selecting "Account Settings." This will put you on the Personal Profile Settings page, where you should click on the "Match and Email Settings" link. Once there, check the "Family Finder Matches & Email Notifications," and make sure all levels are selected as "Yes." Don't forget to click on the orange "Save" button to save your setting choices.

If that isn't the problem, then perhaps the parent of your cousin who is not a blood relative to you is of a population group that hasn't had many people who have tested their DNA.

Comment

I say you are lucky...

Originally posted by Franc View Post
          My cousin and I have shared passwords and user names, so we can view each other's results.
          I'm at a stand still - my cousins account shows only 4 matches which are ones I am an administrator for and no one else...........just 4?
          We have all uploaded our data to gedmatch. When I sign onto my cousins site he has many T (logo for ftdna) matches - excluding my 4 accounts - starting at 53 cm's and down.
          Why don't they show up on his results page on ftdna?
          I think you are lucky... over 1600 for my mom... and only one match.... over 1500 for dad... no matches

Comment

The first thought on that which occurred to me is that the smaller number of matches would possibly indicate that he isn't carrying enough of the DNA down certain lines to be matching with people who are matching you.

Over at Ancestry I've got well over 31,000 matches. Some of my 4th cousin matches and I share dozens of other matches while another 4th cousin match who has the same shared amount of DNA with me shows no shared matches at all.

Here at FTDNA my brother and I don't share the same number of matches, he as a larger list than I do. And we don't even share 50% of our matches in common with each other. But I know that all the cousins he has that I don't are my cousins as he is my full sibling. I don't know how far away you are from your cousin, but what ever the distance is, it does mean that you don't share the exact same matches.

Are the matches he is showing at GEDmatch based on lower cM segment size than what is coming through on FTDNA. As transfers you won't be getting the full number of matches that you would have as FTDNA test takers.

Other than that, when did he transfer his DNA to FTDNA? Has it been recently? I know at Ancestry it can take time to populate a match list for a new test, so could that be a factor?

Comment

Thanks to all who replied, and a special thanks to KATM you nailed it. I should have known better and looked into his special settings.
              And WHEAL I'm so sorry that you don't have matches for either parents, you must be devastated all that money and your all alone. I should have been greatful for what I had, but not realizing he didn't check all the options to yes of matches I just panicked.
              KEIGH thank for the thought you opened my eyes to another possibility.
              I just hope I can learn enough in the future help others in this forum as you all have.

Comment

Working...
              X