Constant changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant changes

Can anyone attempt to explain why I am constantly seeing changes in the names being displayed in my Family Finder match lists? To explain - I manage 4 different kits for myself, son and two 1st cousins (one on my side and one on my wife's side). Tonight I exported, from all four kits, in Excel format, the list of matches.

I did the manipulations I needed to, printed out what I wanted and then went back into each kit (the object of the exercise is to look for matches common to each kit that overlap with one or two of the other kits).

However, when I go back into Matches view on FTDNA, I have been finding lately that I am getting totally different views/lists of matches.

In general, the first 3-4 matches always remain the same (as they are very strong matches (son/father and 2 1st cousins). But, after this, I start to see names pop up during one list display that isn't there the next time I display the list. These are also fairly strong shared and total length matches as well - in the area of 40-70 cM shared and 10-30 cM total lengths.

Some of the times names appear that are NOT in the exported list and vice-versa (names in the exported list no longer show on screen).

I could possibly understand if these were marginal matches, however, one in particular is a 61 and 21 (shared/length) match and therefore a good candidate for contacting.

So - does anyone have any explanation as to why these entries keep coming and going?

It is, obviously, getting very frustrating as I am trying to build up triangulated lists of common matches but with names seemingly showing and disappearing as if by magic (DNA magic??) I am finding it very hard to narrow down those I should be contacting.

Can anyone even try to explain what is going on please?

One reason could be that those matches change their match and email privacy settings which has four levels, Immediate, Close, Distant (only matches up to 3rd cousins) and Speculative (matches labelled as Remote)

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      One reason could be that those matches change their match and email privacy settings which has four levels, Immediate, Close, Distant (only matches up to 3rd cousins) and Speculative (matches labelled as Remote)
      Edit

Distant - if set to No, only shows matches up to 3rd cousins
      Speculative - removes all matches with the Remote label

Setting any to No removes them from ones own list as well as any matches lists that fall into that category.

Comment

You get new matches every week or two, and last week we got a whole bunch of new matches due to the backlog of people waiting for the new transfer process.

You can click on the headings on your list of matches to sort them in various ways. The default sort these days seems to be Shared Centimorgans instead of Relationship Range or Longest Block, which strikes me as a bit strange as it puts a complete mix of predicted relationships, including 5th to remote cousins, on the first page.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
          You get new matches every week or two, and last week we got a whole bunch of new matches due to the backlog of people waiting for the new transfer process.

You can click on the headings on your list of matches to sort them in various ways. The default sort these days seems to be Shared Centimorgans instead of Relationship Range or Longest Block, which strikes me as a bit strange as it puts a complete mix of predicted relationships, including 5th to remote cousins, on the first page.
          I understand this - but this is happening in the space of MINUTES not days!. For example, I can see one list now, refresh the page or go back and re-select Matches, and a different list is shown, go back and re-select again, and the original list is again shown...

Comment

But, as just replied to another answer - this is happening in the space of minutes and can see-saw between the data shown each time.

Comment

Edit

Distant - if set to No, only shows matches up to 3rd cousins
              Speculative - removes all matches with the Remote label

Setting any to No removes them from ones own list as well as any matches lists that fall into that category.
              See other answer(s) - it is this reason (the minute by minute changes I continually see) that has made me ask this question. I could understand if I was leaving it for a few days or going in and changing settings, but neither of these are happening.

Believe me - frustrating because I am TRYING (the wife says very...) to narrow down from a 1000 plus to maybe a hundred (I have it down to 98 though!!) to contact.

Comment

Does the same thing happen if instead of refreshing the page, you go back to the home page and start over?

This website is so goofy that who knows what might happen if you just refresh a page! As far as I can tell standard Windows behavior doesn't apply here.

My problem today is pages won't load at all. I get one blank row. For a few days pages were loading correctly and quickly for me, contrary to usual. I thought maybe they had fixed something. But it's back to slow load and no load!

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                  Does the same thing happen if instead of refreshing the page, you go back to the home page and start over?
                  Yes - it was this action that made me first realise what was happening.

Comment

When you do a search keep an eye on your total number of matches. If that number doesn't remain the same that is indicating you have sorted your matches somehow.

If you don't click 'reset filter' before you do your next search you will end up only searching within the subset of matches you have already got onscreen and therefore 'loose matches'.

When you click on 'reset filter' it resets your matches page to your full list of matches.

I hope that helps rectify things.

Comment

Working...
                    X