family finder results don't match Y-DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family finder results don't match Y-DNA

My step father tested both Y-DNA and mtDNA in 2009. In 2015 we asked that his sample on file be tested for autosomal. They don't match at all. Y-DNA is E-M35 which says from Africa. Autosomal says 68% Scandinavian. We have a good written genealogy going back to early 1700's and there is no African or Scandinavian at all! The male line of Jones comes from Wales. The Y-DNA has been ordered., but it is from the same sample, since he is deceased. Could there have been a mistake back in 2009?

I believe E-M35 is an old branch of E haplogroup.
    formed 34800 ybp, TMRCA 24100 ybp
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/E/

Is his E-M35 predicted or confirmed?

Is he in his haplogroup project at FTNDA?

YDNA and autosomal are different, YDNA is passed on generation to generation virtually unchanged, one specific line of ones ancestry (all male)

where as ones autosomal contains all ancestors which gets new DNA inserted and others Deleted as it is passed onto the next generation.

If you want a more precise origin of yDNA haplogroup background you would have to do addition SNP testing to determine which subclade branch he belongs to (after consulting with his haplogroup admins who should be the most knowledgable).

Comment

I've read about an enclave of y-haplogroup E found in Wales. I think the theory is that it is neolithic from the Middle East or brought with the Romans. If you search Wales and y-haplogroup E you should find some information.

As for not showing a population in the autosomal results. I have male cousins who carry the y-haplogroup E1b1a8a (which is Subsaharan African) but some of them show no African at all in their autosomal results. This is because our African ancestor was so far back (mid-17th century). They inherited the y-haplogroup, but not the African admixture. I, on the other hand, show a very small amount of Subsaharan African but don't have the E1b1a8a haplogroup because this African ancestor is on my mother's mother's father's side.

Comment

family finder results don't match Y-DNA

Thanks for the replies. I had not heard of any E haplogroup in Wales. As for the family finder and 68% Scandinavian, we don't know of ANYONE that would bring that into the family, not as far back as 1700's and he shows as 68%! That just doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sforee View Post
          Thanks for the replies. I had not heard of any E haplogroup in Wales.
          E-V13 is a subclade of E-M35 and it is mainly a European subclade that has been in Europe for many thousands of years. It has been found in the 7,000 year old remains of a specimen from Spain. http://www.pnas.org/content/108/45/18255.full There are two people from Wales that are E-V13 positive. See https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults

You need to get some SNP testing of your step father first. There are two main subclades of M35. They are V68, from which V13 descends, and Z827. FTDNA has SNP packs for each of those subclades at https://www.familytreedna.com/upgrades.aspx?ot=ADV but does not have an SNP pack that determine whether a person belongs in the V68 or Z827 subclade. If you join him to the E-M35 project at https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/e-3b/about you can get a recommendation which will be based on STRs and/or matches.

There is also a predictor for subclades at www.nevgen.org but it's best to have at least 67 marker results or more. Using 37 or fewer markers results in the same type of prediction that FTDNA provides. Matches are also better at 67 markers or more if there are any.

Originally posted by sforee View Post
          As for the family finder and 68% Scandinavian, we don't know of ANYONE that would bring that into the family, not as far back as 1700's and he shows as 68%! That just doesn't make sense to me.
          FTDNA myOrigins exaggerates the amount of Scandinavian in a lot of people. You can ignore it or test with another company to see a result that is more in line with the known genealogy. All of the companies have different reference populations, numbers of reference populations, sizes of them, and methodologies for their calculators.

Comment

Vikings and Normans

To have a degree of Scandinavian DNA in someone of Welsh descent is that surprising if you take into account the history of that Nation. The Vikings had a large impact followed by the Normans. As for the Y DNA there appears to have been a migration out of Africa in the Neolithic, then add in the migrants during the Roman era and you have ancestral Welsh populations in Wales. The Y DNA does not define the culture of the person.

Comment

Working...
            X