Interesting but futile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting but futile

Is the conclusion I am rapidly coming to re my venture into dna genealogy.

(a) Only one person with my surname has tested at FTDNA(y-37 markers not autosomal

(b) Father is interested in genealogy but has never bitten the bullet re DNA. Ditto other relatives on his side.

(c)Mother dead and her cousins not interested in genealogy

(d) Neither my brother and sister have been bitten by the genealogy bug. Brother isn't even online.

I have 550+ FF matches only one of them I know of a definite connection (3rd C 2R). Have several groups of people who match with me and with each other on the matrix but no sign of a definite connection other than I am supposing there is some kind of fairly distant genealogical connection.

Conclusion: I'm on a hiding to nothing and it seems from what people say that the admixture tools are at worst junk science and at best moderately educated guesses.

It is interesting to read about other people's research and successes though. Definitely a fascinating subject.

Originally posted by gatty View Post
    Is the conclusion I am rapidly coming to re my venture into dna genealogy.

(a) Only one person with my surname has tested at FTDNA(y-37 markers not autosomal

(b) Father is interested in genealogy but has never bitten the bullet re DNA. Ditto other relatives on his side.

(c)Mother dead and her cousins not interested in genealogy

(d) Neither my brother and sister have been bitten by the genealogy bug. Brother isn't even online.

I have 550+ FF matches only one of them I know of a definite connection (3rd C 2R). Have several groups of people who match with me and with each other on the matrix but no sign of a definite connection other than I am supposing there is some kind of fairly distant genealogical connection.

Conclusion: I'm on a hiding to nothing and it seems from what people say that the admixture tools are at worst junk science and at best moderately educated guesses.

It is interesting to read about other people's research and successes though. Definitely a fascinating subject.
    Your autosomal dna points to Ireland as the home of your ancestors. Is that not right?

Comment

Eurogenes K15 points to Irish-West Scottish. Eurogenes K13 to West Scottish-Irish.

Known paper trail is roughly English 50% Scottish 31% Irish 19%

Here are the top "four population" results from Gedmatch.

MDLP 22: 1 Bulgarian + Norwegian_V + Swedish + Swedish_V @ 1.102

MDLP world: 1 Latvian_V + Polish + French + Orcadian @ 1.027

MDLP K12: 1 ETN + GBRKN + GBRKN + PRT @ 2.746

MDLP K23 B: 1 Dutch + Scottish_Argyll_Bute_GBR + Scottish_Argyll_Bute_GBR + South_German @ 1.813411

Eurogenes K15: 1 Irish + Irish + Irish + Irish @ 2.428

Eurogenes K13: 1 West_Scottish + West_Scottish + West_Scottish + West_Scottish @ 2.163

Eurogenes EU: 1 English + Scottish + Scottish + Scottish @ 1.666

Eurogenes J test: 1 English + Scottish + Scottish + Scottish @ 2.169

Dodecad 7B: 1 CEU30 + French + French + Lithuanians @ 0.576

Dodecad 12B: 1 Argyll + British_Isles + German + Mixed_Germanic @ 1.248

Dodecad V3: 1 CEU + CEU + Orkney + Orkney @ 1.775

Dodecad World 9: 1 French + Orcadian + Cornwall + Ukranians @ 1.040987

Harrapa: 1 n-european + orcadian + utahn-white + utahn-white @ 1.246

If I'm right it's not easy to separate the Irish and the Scottish?
      Last edited by gatty; 20 April 2015, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Eurogenes K15 points to Irish-West Scottish. Eurogenes K13 to West Scottish-Irish.

MDLP K23 B: 1 Dutch + Scottish_Argyll_Bute_GBR + Scottish_Argyll_Bute_GBR + South_German @ 1.813411

Eurogenes K13: 1 West_Scottish + West_Scottish + West_Scottish + West_Scottish @ 2.163

The Scottish and Irish have mixed dna going back 10,000 years.

Comment

Population Irish K15 average
          North_Sea 36.38%
          Atlantic 30.66%
          Baltic 11.15%
          Eastern_Euro 8.12%
          West_Med 6.98%
          West_Asian 6.98%
          East_Med 1.24%
          Red_Sea 0.67%
          South_Asian 55.00%
          Southeast_Asian - * *
          Siberian 0.05%
          Amerindian 0.60%
          Oceanian 0.01%
          Northeast_African 0.07%
          Sub-Saharan 0.04%

Comment

gatty, I can add that my only big success stories so far are from the one grandparent's line where I have known relatives who are also on Family Finder, including a second cousin. It helps so much to be able to triangulate results. I have found infinitely more useful information on that one grandparent's line than the rest of my family lines put together.

The admixture tools are interesting, but I do think they need some refinement. I know someone who shows 100% European on one company, but just 95% European on another - based on the same raw data.
            Last edited by robertalabama; 20 April 2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I'm beginning to think DNA is futile too, unless you're interested in proving very close relationships. Family Finder, at least, will do that. You can also verify paternity with Y-DNA provided the right people have tested (my father has zero matches, but my cousins DNA turned up an NPE in another line).

I was one of the first to purchase Family Finder I got my mother's results in Jun 2010, I think). From the letter I received about the test before I purchased, it seemed like it would be ideal for finding a couple of my mother's 3rd great-grandparents (Colonial American). That doesn't seem so far back, but after 5 years, and testing my mother at 3 companies, I get the impression that Family Finder is useless that far back. Traditional research has been just as futile in this case, however.

Comment

Hi gatty,
                These admixture calculators give you a "best fit" set of results, that is, how your results match with various sample populations.

Different calculators will have different sample populations or names for their groups, which is why you have different results.

Comment

Working...
                X