Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this suggest Scandinavian ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this suggest Scandinavian ancestry?

Berg 83225394 86996025 9.17
    Eriksson 84270215 86996025 8.08
    Hjelmstad 83498768 86996025 8.57
    Nilsson 84270215 86996025 8.08

On chromosome 9 . All match on matrix. All are listed as 5th cousin-remote.

Well, Eriksson and Nilsson are Swedish or Finland Swedish surnames, Hjelmstad maybe Norwegian, and Berg any of them, so your suggestion seems very probable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gatty View Post
      Berg 83225394 86996025 9.17
      Eriksson 84270215 86996025 8.08
      Hjelmstad 83498768 86996025 8.57
      Nilsson 84270215 86996025 8.08

On chromosome 9 . All match on matrix. All are listed as 5th cousin-remote.
      Not necessarily. If your GEDmatch.com kit is F192971, my kit F239841 matches with you on #9 - 85443302 86968776 1.2 503. Using parameters of <250, 1> our overall match is (423.2, 4.5). You also have a X-DNA match with my mother (F367106) @<150, 1.0> amounting to (5.6, 2.2). You almost certainly have an ancestor from an 18th Century human trafficking ring in North Carolina. See my thread here for details:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=37306

Comment

My kit number is FN49571. One to one comparison with yours -
        Largest segment = 6.9 cM
        Total of segments > 1 cM = 460.0 cM

I have no known ancestry from NC and think ,personally, that your theory is a very speculative obsession.

Comment

georgian1950, please do not mix gatty and me. I just answered his/her question, because I am familiar with Scandinavian surnames.

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          If your GEDmatch.com kit is F192971, my kit F239841 matches with you on #9 - 85443302 86968776 1.2 503. Using parameters of <250, 1> our overall match is (423.2, 4.5). You also have a X-DNA match with my mother (F367106) @<150, 1.0> amounting to (5.6, 2.2).
          OK, but the shared cM amount is quite low with acceptable SNP counts, and the largest segment small. If your mother do not have any New Sweden colony ancestry, I am afraid that the numbers lack relevancy.

Originally posted by georgian1950
          You almost certainly have an ancestor from an 18th Century human trafficking ring in North Carolina.
          It would be almost impossible, because I am a Finn, and my widely and deeply known roots are as Finnish as Finnish can be, and even the most recent unknown is not likely to be somebody who returned from America.

Comment

On my direct maternal line, my great-grandmother was 100% Norwegian. How no Scandinavian showed up in my breakdown confuses me.

Comment

No known Scandinavian ancestors here. Trying to figure out where such ancestors might fit (a) Father's paternal ancestors were from Lancashire (b) Mother's maternal male ancestors were predominantly fishermen from Banffshire and Morayshire.
              (c) Father's maternal ancestors from Midlands/South West England (d) Mother's paternal ancestors from Lanarkshire/Midlothian(Scotland) and Ireland.
              Last edited by gatty; 15 April 2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Largest segment = 6.9 cM

I have no known ancestry from NC and think ,personally, that your theory is a very speculative obsession.
                Of course you have no known North Carolina ancestry. Refugees from this human trafficking ring made up their own family histories to fit their new circumstances.

You also have the X-DNA match with my mother so there really is no doubt that you have a connection. Given the total of the matching segments in the 'one to one', you very likely have more than one connection.

Comment

I guess you can prove pretty much any crazy theory if you choose to ignore all of the advice given by the testing companies on segment sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by 192971 View Post
                    georgian1950, please do not mix gatty and me. I just answered his/her question, because I am familiar with Scandinavian surnames.

OK, but the shared cM amount is quite low with acceptable SNP counts, and the largest segment small. If your mother do not have any New Sweden colony ancestry, I am afraid that the numbers lack relevancy.

It would be almost impossible, because I am a Finn, and my widely and deeply known roots are as Finnish as Finnish can be, and even the most recent unknown is not likely to be somebody who returned from America.
                    MDLP K23b Admixture gives you 0.96% Amerindian and 0.28% East African. I guess that is not relevant either.

X-DNA connections are not that easy to come by. The fact that two males in a row eliminate any chance for finding a connection can be used to one's advantage in deciding which lines to look at for the connection.

I am finding more and more connections all over the world to this North Carolina situation. Apparently the impressed sailors jumped ship wherever they felt comfortable to start a new life.
                    Last edited by georgian1950; 15 April 2015, 09:54 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                      I guess you can prove pretty much any crazy theory if you choose to ignore all of the advice given by the testing companies on segment sizes.
                      Answer me this.

I can find someone that I have a (0.0, 0.0) comparison with using 250 SNPs and 1.0 cM minimum segment size. If a stochastic process is causing all kinds of false positives with my parameters, how is it possible that I could come up with a (0.0, 0.0) comparison?

Comment

No, I will not answer your question about stochastic processes. This is gatty┬┤s thread and should be focussing on the original question about Scandinavian ancestry. I am not going to be drawn into hijacking it for a deep discussion on random variables.

Comment

Thanks LynCra. I am reluctant to take him to task for hijacking my thread as I think his fixation is possibly indicative of an obsessional delusion for which I have some sympathy( as someone who personally has a long psychiatric history) .

Comment

Largest segment = 6.9 cM

Amen to that!

In another thread, he asked people to test his theory by setting gedmatch SNP and cM size standards down to ridiculously low levels. I reported that I shared some small segments with his gedmatch kit doing this test.

The only problem is that all four of my grandparents were born in Italy, documented by birth records which I have, and the earliest any one of them arrived in the U.S. was 1889. All arrived in the NYC area, not the southern U.S.

This would seem to prove that his test failed in my case as it's absurd to think that my ancestors had any connection to his hypothesized NC slave ring. Well, he insisted that a slave who escaped from this ring fled 200 years ago to Sicily or southern Italy and was one of my ancestors.

Only a huge agenda could make someone offer that to support his theory!

Comment

Originally posted by 192971 View Post
                              Sorry about the confusion. I shouldn't post when I am half asleep.

However I am finding some interesting connections. I remembered seeing Gatty's kit number from a post on GEDmatch Forums. Doing a 'one to one' between him and you @<250, 1.0> results in (474.5, 5.3), a strong match seven or eight generations back. You also match on chromosome #9 (83650675-85135617). Also confirming your common ancestry is an X-DNA match @<150, 1.0> of (2.1, 2.1).

Looks like the shared segment on #9 is an indication of common ancestry in the North Carolina human trafficking ring, rather than Scandinavian.
                              Last edited by georgian1950; 20 April 2015, 03:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X