Frustrated ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated ...

70 pages of matches … with only a handful of said matches with family trees attached … and of those trees most have only half a dozen or so people entered and/or are "private" … and no one answers my emails either way.

I've been searching my matches for almost a year now trying to find connections to these people, but always hit a brick wall when I invariably discover no family information is attached, and no one wants to communicate.

I'm sure most of you have had better luck, but I find I'm now asking myself what's the point of this? Am I missing something? What use is it to me to know that I share 60.9 cMs with someone that I know nothing about aside from a name and a list of 10 or 12 surnames that don't show up in my family anyway?

Sorry, I'm frustrated ...

Originally posted by MaineDNA View Post
    70 pages of matches … with only a handful of said matches with family trees attached … and of those trees most have only half a dozen or so people entered and/or are "private" … and no one answers my emails either way.
    I saw your previous thread. If you have your kit on GEDmatch, could you PM the number to me? I'd like to take a look.

Jack

Comment

It helps a lot to have one or more known relatives to compare

I have over 1,300 matches, and no clue how I'm related to most, despite the fact that most of my family tree is pretty well filled out. However, I have a known second cousin and a more distant cousin both on my grandfather's side. Probably fewer than 100 of my matches are in common with one or both of them, but it does give me a starting place.
      My other three grandparents are trickier to sort out,
      since a lot of their ancestors lived in the same places, and since no close relatives on any of those lines have taken the test. It's all fun, though.

Comment

I have had slightly better luck than you in getting responses from those I've contacted but otherwise share your frustration. A basic fact is that unless both parties have built a good tree and both parties are interested and willing to share, it's just potluck for now. Eventually the client database will expand to the point where you'll have a better chance of finding your desired result.

On additional point that doesn't address to your question. Before you respond to Georgian1950's request for information, you should be aware that he has an agenda. His post on the "Advanced Family Finder" forum lays out his theories and the "evidence" he considers supporting them. You may - or may not - wish to further his efforts by providing him your Gedmatch number. [note: I did exchange information with him on that website and I continue to be skeptical of his theory - even more so after reading what he says on this site.]

Comment

Originally posted by Haggis View Post
          On additional point that doesn't address to your question. Before you respond to Georgian1950's request for information, you should be aware that he has an agenda. His post on the "Advanced Family Finder" forum lays out his theories and the "evidence" he considers supporting them. You may - or may not - wish to further his efforts by providing him your Gedmatch number. [note: I did exchange information with him on that website and I continue to be skeptical of his theory - even more so after reading what he says on this site.]
          For more of my "agenda", please go to the GEDmatch Forums on GEDmatch.com and drill down to the following thread:

GEDmatch Forums > DNA Utilities --> Interpreting DNA Comprison Results
          Subject: short segment matching experiment

Comment

Working...
          X