Very few matches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very few matches.

23 matches. That's what I started with and it hasn't increased. Anyone else with such a low number?

That does seem very low. The probable explanation is that your ancestry is one that's not very common in the database.

The genetic genealogy databases are dominated by those with northern European, especially British Isles, and Jewish ancestry. If you have neither of those ancestries, you will get a low number of matches.

What is your ancestry?

Comment

I am West African, North African, British, Irish and Scottish, Spanish, French, German, Middle Eastern, Southeast Asian (which should be Oceanian but they took that category away here) and a tiny bit of Ashkenazi. This is not from MyOrigins obviously.

Most of my matches at Ancestry and 23andme are European and Central/South American and there are a lot of them. I do have quite a few matches who are multiracial as I am. I was going to test the rest of my family here, but the lack of matches forces me to test them elsewhere. The whole point was to break down a couple of brick walls.
      Last edited by selah; 8 February 2015, 04:49 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Very Few Matches

Selah

Have you uploaded your results to GEDmatch? They have some wonderful analytical tools over there ... if the site is not overwhelmed with users at the moment.

Comment

Yep, hfp43. My results have already been uploaded to GEDmatch. Love the tools there.

Comment

Is this for Family Finder? If so, do you have the usual range of 2nd-4th cousin right through to 5th-Remote cousin matches? If you only have the closer ones it could be that you have notifications turned off for the more distant relatives, which for some reason turns off the match sharing too.

If it is MtDNA or Y-DNA, I don't think it is unusual to have a small number of matches, at least at the more precise testing levels.
            Last edited by larzus; 8 February 2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

These are my FF results and all my notifications are all set to yes. They range from 3rd to remote cousins. I haven't got my mtDNA results yet, but I don't expect many matches there at all as mine is some type of Polynesian or Malagasy. I took that to get my exact haplogroup since the one 23andme gave me was a surprise and to participate in projects.

I'm just surprised to have so few here when I have so many at the others.

Comment

Selah, your experience is typical for African Americans. FTDNA's algorithm appears to require a total of 20 cM, including small 1 to 3 cM segments (which are often meaningless). These small segments are not so hard to come by when both parties come out of the same general gene pool, but they are less frequent in admixed populations. Thus you could have a nice long segment of say 14 cM, but you might not reach the 20 cM total.

FTDNA has never published the 20 cM requirement, but it seems obvious when people sort their results by shared cM. This threshold also causes a certain percentage of false negatives in other groups. Many people have reported that about 15-20% of a child's matches are not found in either parent. I've also seen instances where I should logically match a person in the matrix tool, but I don't.

There is always a trade-off between false positives and false negatives, and different companies have different approaches to balancing those two factors.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Ann. It's a tad depressing, though. The matches I do have tend to have longer segments and several are 20+ cM on one segment.

I'm glad that I did not test the rest of my family here as I can't afford to test them all at multiple places and they would not have been happy with so few matches and would have derided genetic genealogy as a whole. Guess I'll just check back here annually and see if any new matches have been added.

Comment

I had my results last june with only 7 matches (one from my son, one 4th ...) and guess what, only 1 match since june !

Nothing much with gedmatch, i don't have british or nothern european ancestries so i'm not expecting much anymore, my origins are north african, Italian and spanish.

My son started with 30 matches(from may)right now he's close to 70 (swedish origins)

Comment

I always thought everyone got pages and pages of matches.....
                      I started with 40 pages of matches last August and have over 50 Pages of matches now...

Doesn't make it any easier to find links though, even my top matches of 2nd to 4th we haven't been able to find any common ancestors yet, it really is only with others from each side of the first person who has been tested that it then begins to break down the matches to each side..

Comment

Originally posted by selah View Post
                        23 matches. That's what I started with and it hasn't increased. Anyone else with such a low number?
                        I had a project member that had 0 matches and I forgot how long ago he initially got his Family Finder. But definitely it was for awhile.

Comment

7 and 0. I don't feel quite so badly now. I am very happy I didn't test the rest if my family here.

Comment

Originally posted by selah View Post
                            7 and 0. I don't feel quite so badly now. I am very happy I didn't test the rest if my family here.
                            Only if your family is limited to your siblings and your parents. Anybody else in your family can have more (or less...) matches.

W.

Comment

Originally Posted by dna

Only if your family is limited to your siblings and your parents. Anybody else in your family can have more (or less...) matches.
                              Yes, my siblings and parents. Absolutely extended family could have more or fewer matches. Testing here has not been helpful extending my family tree. That may change in the future, but I will not test additional family members here.

I hope that FTDNA changes their matching algorithm at some point. I have many FTDNA matches at GEDmatch between 12 and 19 cM that are not matched to me here. I'll just stick with GEDmatch and not worry about the matches here.

Comment

Working...
                              X