• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dna
    replied
    Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
    Originally posted by Andiralenira View Post
    I just came across this thread today, and I have a similar situation.

I am half Italian, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Polish.

In my matches, I have some people who are of Scandinavian ancestry and I also have no known background from that part of the world so I have no idea how to explain it.
    Some possible explanations:

Italian - Norman Conquest of Southern Italy

Ireland - Viking Settlement of Ireland, Norse-Gaels, Norman Invasion, etc.

Poland - Pomeranian Vikings, Baltic area trade in the Middle Ages, The Deluge, etc.
    Additionally, once the Longest Block drops below 15-20 cM, you are getting more and more false positives (look up discussions about IBS in the forum).

W. (Mr.)

Leave a comment:

• Sarmat
    replied
    Originally posted by Andiralenira View Post

In my matches, I have some people who are of Scandinavian ancestry and I also have no known background from that part of the world so I have no idea how to explain it.
    Some possible explanations:

Italian - Norman Conquest of Southern Italy

Ireland - Viking Settlement of Ireland, Norse-Gaels, Norman Invasion, etc.

Poland - Pomeranian Vikings, Baltic area trade in the Middle Ages, The Deluge, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Andiralenira
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gensrchr2
    replied
    3% Scandinavian and 10% Finnish here. I have matched Norwegians, Swedes, and mostly Finns. One of my Finnish matches has the birthplace of both his parents listed as a city that is now located in Russia, in a region that is just adjacent to eastern Finland. It turns out some of the Finns (Savonians/Karelians) migrated from there. Finland has also at various times been occupied by the Swedish and Russian Empires (thank you Wikipedia).

Leave a comment:

• sugarbeetsphoto
    replied
    Wow! That is great! I would love to find a link like that.

Leave a comment:

• Frederator
    replied
    I have a few eastern European matches--Russian and whatnot--that I usually just assume are from my ethnic German grandmother who was born in Ukraine. I don't often put too much effort into them because they're typically small--hovering around 10 cM or less largest segment.

But I got a shock one time I actually did try. A Bulgarian fellow matched me, and overlapped with a couple of Russian dudes, just around 9cM largest segment. And this fellow actually had a paper trail that allowed me to connect, godblessitall!

Turns out to be a totally different side of my family. Apparently Gamshurst, although lying on the Rhine River, was a part of the Austrian Empire at one time. Empress Marie Therese ran a colonization scheme that encouraged people from her western domains to settle in what is now Serbia--including the brother of an ancestor of mine.

Thank God for those Familienbuecher and WWII Allied bombers that had other priorities.

Leave a comment:

• keigh
    replied
    Originally posted by sugarbeetsphoto View Post
    I'm thinking my high percentage of Scandinavian is probably picking up bits of Viking influence in England, Scotland, Germany, etc.
    I think the same thing about my 100% European with 43% of that coming from Scandinavia. My 8th Great Grandfather was from Sweden, but that wouldn't account for 43% Scandinavian.

Leave a comment:

• sugarbeetsphoto
    replied
    I'm thinking my high percentage of Scandinavian is probably picking up bits of Viking influence in England, Scotland, Germany, etc.

Leave a comment:

• PDHOTLEN
    replied
    In my case, FTDNA gives me 48% Scandinavian, whereas Ancestry gives me 28% Scandinavian. My obvious source is from my father who was 3/4 Norwegian. But in my pedigree chart, I also have tiny bits of Swedish from long ago. FTDNA gives me 100% European, while Ancestry gives me 98% European with 2% Caucasus and South Asian.

Leave a comment:

• sugarbeetsphoto
    replied
    Originally posted by LynCra View Post
    Very probably
    I think one of the reasons you may not have many responses to your question is that a few folks, myself included, read your first post as though you were claiming to have documented all of your ancestors going back for 12 generations and were doubting the DNA evidence because you didn´t see any Scandinavian names in your paper trail.
    I see, yes! I didn't quite mean it like that. I think I wrote it when I was very tired and should have edited it a bit more. I'm actually surprised that I even typed the number 12 in...I am sure I was thinking more like 6 or 7... I should go fix that! I do have all up to the 7th documented except for my German family lines I mentioned above. So I supposed that is where the link could be. I am sure there could have been a NPA somewhere involving someone of Scandinavian descent in my 5th or 6th generation ancestors but I haven't seen evidence. So my guess is that my German family is the most obvious place that this bloodline would have entered. I would love to see if I can find the connection! Thanks so much for all of your kind responses.

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied
    FTDNA overstimates Scandinavian

First, FTDNA very much overestimates Scandinavian. I had two great-grandmothers who were culturally Scandinavian (Norwegian and Swedish). My FTDNA results are 57% Scandinavian. I believe I am around 23% Scandinavian on 23 and Me. And my Swedish great-grandmother had some Finnish ancestry, which shows up on 23 and Me but not here.

I suspect your Scandinavian is real, but it is not as large of a percentage as FTDNA claims. It could be coming from British ancestors who were not aware that they themselves had Scandinavian ancestors, including very recent ones (Norwegian immigrants to England, for example). And the possible Viking influence on Britain and Ireland might also be coming into play here.
    Last edited by mixedkid; 24 January 2015, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Markus_H
    replied
    I understand your confusion but I think there is a simple explanation but you haven´t found it yet in your research
    Scandinavia have always had a lot of immigrants from the surrounding countries around the Baltic Sea. German merchants came to the hanseatic towns during the middle ages and craftsmen, soldiers, prisoners of war etc. My Family Finder says that I have 7% Western and Central Europe, but I have no research that proof that.
    And second, nordic vikings ruled parts of the British isles and spread their genes. So many britons resemble the scandinavians.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Very probably
    I think one of the reasons you may not have many responses to your question is that a few folks, myself included, read your first post as though you were claiming to have documented all of your ancestors going back for 12 generations and were doubting the DNA evidence because you didn´t see any Scandinavian names in your paper trail.

In particular, female lines are harder to trace since surnames (maiden names) do not carry over to the next generation.

Leave a comment:

• LynCra
    replied
    Originally posted by sugarbeetsphoto View Post
    I'm sure that lineage is somewhere in the dead ends on certain branches.
    Very probably

Leave a comment:

• sugarbeetsphoto
    replied
    You say you have no documented Scandinavians in the last 12 generations. What about all the people you have not yet found?
    I'm sure that lineage is somewhere in the dead ends on certain branches. I am just surprised since I don't have any other evidence of it (first names passed down etc.) I am excited to dig deeper in this direction and maybe this will somehow help me figure out my great grandmother's paternal line.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X