No announcement yet.

Rookie question about Scandinavian/Russian matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3% Scandinavian and 10% Finnish here. I have matched Norwegians, Swedes, and mostly Finns. One of my Finnish matches has the birthplace of both his parents listed as a city that is now located in Russia, in a region that is just adjacent to eastern Finland. It turns out some of the Finns (Savonians/Karelians) migrated from there. Finland has also at various times been occupied by the Swedish and Russian Empires (thank you Wikipedia).

Comment

I just came across this thread today, and I have a similar situation.

I am half Italian, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Polish.

In my matches, I have some people who are of Scandinavian ancestry and I also have no known background from that part of the world so I have no idea how to explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andiralenira View Post

In my matches, I have some people who are of Scandinavian ancestry and I also have no known background from that part of the world so I have no idea how to explain it.
        Some possible explanations:

Italian - Norman Conquest of Southern Italy

Ireland - Viking Settlement of Ireland, Norse-Gaels, Norman Invasion, etc.

Poland - Pomeranian Vikings, Baltic area trade in the Middle Ages, The Deluge, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
          Originally posted by Andiralenira View Post

Some possible explanations:

Italian - Norman Conquest of Southern Italy

Ireland - Viking Settlement of Ireland, Norse-Gaels, Norman Invasion, etc.

Poland - Pomeranian Vikings, Baltic area trade in the Middle Ages, The Deluge, etc.
          Additionally, once the Longest Block drops below 15-20 cM, you are getting more and more false positives (look up discussions about IBS in the forum).

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
          X