Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in common with

can anyone explain what this means?
    Does it mean these people have matching segments or just common places?

In Common With / Not In Common With only compares your list of matches kit holder names with another matches match list and returns that matches match list names which you both share or not(Not ICW). They only deal with names, not shared DNA or segments. It is just a tool to aid you in suggesting there may be a common ancestor between ICW matches, but does not necessarily mean that they do.
    Last edited by prairielad; 20 January 2015, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I've always thought that the "in common with" or "not in common with" had to do with genetic matching.

My brother has 109 pages of matches with which he has supposedly a genetic match. If I pull up one of his matches to check for "in common with" I find that this person has 23 matches on my brother's list. But the particular individual I used who has 23 matches has no names listed either in the common names list or as a Family Tree. He is a total blank by way of names. If however, I then take the chromosome browser to him and his matches, I will find that this individual shares segments with my brother and the other 23.

How is the no names individual coming up "in common with" others on my brother's list (many of whom also have no names listed or family tree's) without there being some link, i.e. a genetic link?

Comment

it is not in common with names (Ancestral Surnames and/or names in trees), it is the match list themselves that are compared. Each kit holders name in your match list, is run against each kit holders name in your matches match list looking for the shared kit holder names that show up in each match list.

For example
        If you match Person A, Person B and Person F (Each are kit holder names on your match list)
        Your match matches Person A, Person C, Person D, Person E, and Person F (Each are kit holder names on matches match list)

Then In Common with would list
        Person A, and Person F
        Last edited by prairielad; 20 January 2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
          it is not in common with names (Ancestral Surnames and/or names in trees), it is the match list themselves that are compared. Each kit holders name in your match list, is run against each kit holders name in your matches match list looking for the shared kit holder names that show up in each match list.

For example
          If you match Person A, Person B and Person F (Each are kit holder names on your match list)
          Your match matches Person A, Person C, Person D, Person E, and Person F (Each are kit holder names on matches match list)

Then In Common with would list
          Person A, and Person F
          My brother's match list has person A listed as a match. When I pull up person A's "in common with" matches, I get B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O, P etc and so on for 23 people. These 23 people are all on my brother's list of genetic matches. So the program pulls up people who are on A's match list, by name from a list of names of people who are genetically related (according to the program) to my brother. I know that not all of the 23 people are genetically related to each other, but they are to A and my brother. Using the matrix then I can take those names and see who they match are in common with other than A and my brother. If I then take those matches to the chromosome browser, how much and where they match, shows. But the initial match for A and my brother to all of these matches is based on a genetic match.

Basically that is what the "in common with" or "not in common with" is telling me.

Comment

Working...
          X