Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can FF tell me if my brother and I are full siblings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dna
    replied
    Family Finder most definitely discriminates between half and full siblingship. GEDmatch might just visualize it better for some.

W.

P.S.
    There was some research published last year, on how to differentiate DNA between identical twins

Leave a comment:

• Carla
    replied
    It just so happens I'm an identical twin. 25% if my brother and I are half sibs? The agony of waiting. Thank you for your response and help.

Leave a comment:

• ShellyH
    replied
    Carla -

For a clearer picture of full vs. half siblings, transfer your data to GEDmatch (free) where you can not only share your data with folks who tested with Ancestry and 23andMe, but can view a chromosome browser. Full siblings will share large green blocks over their matches, where they match in the same location on both chromosomes (1 from mom, 1 from dad). This is what is called a Full Match. Half siblings will have largely yellow blocks above the match, suggesting that they share matching on only one of their Chromosome 1's for example. This is a Half Match. Full siblings will show no matches, half matches, and full matches. Half siblings will only show no matches and half matches - - - unless their parents just happen to be closely related. My sisters and I are estimated to be MRCA (most recent common ancestor) of 1.2 and 1.3. A half sibling should be less than that.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Carla View Post
    Hi all. I had my autosomal test done and for good reasons, I had my brother's autosomal done in hopes of determining whether we are full siblings. His test isn't done yet and I'm waiting on the edge of my seat. Can the test determine full siblings??? Sure hope so
    Thanks!!
    Wikipedia
    "Identical twins share 100% of their DNA.[2] Full siblings are first-degree relatives and, on average, share 50% of their genes out of those that vary among humans.[2] Half-siblings are second-degree relatives and have, on average, a 25% overlap in their human genetic variation."

Leave a comment:

• Carla
    replied
    THANK YOU!!!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Carla View Post
    Hi all. I had my autosomal test done and for good reasons, I had my brother's autosomal done in hopes of determining whether we are full siblings. His test isn't done yet and I'm waiting on the edge of my seat. Can the test determine full siblings??? Sure hope so
    Thanks!!
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Carla
    started a topic Can FF tell me if my brother and I are full siblings?

Can FF tell me if my brother and I are full siblings?

Thanks!!
Working...
X