Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Finder Results

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family Finder Results

    So I got my results and I have pages and pages of matches. The first is a range of 1-2 cousin: emailed the person, no response... My haplogroup is now R1-U198; supposed to be very rare . . . I read a page dedicated to the U group and I'm still some sort of specter apparently. Origins 100% Western European.

    I can't say at this point that the upgrade was worth the $89, because I can see no real advantage to it. I've tried the chromosome browser; read through the tutorial and some folks look orange etc, but I don't get it or what it's trying to say. I'm certainly not trying to be too pessimistic about it, but I don't think I got anything extra.

  • #2
    Due to the age of an average tester, it is unlikely that their grandparents (or earlier ancestors) would be found using the Family Finder. So, yes cousins are your family through which you may be able to learn more about your ancestry.

    W.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just a question, what has your Haplogroup got to do with your Family Finder results or the 1-2 cousins? The Y-DNA haplogroup have genetic step matches such as 0,1, 2, 3 etc. but those aren't cousin matches. The Family Finder tests your autosoml DNA and doesn't give you a haplogroup.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by keigh View Post
        Just a question, what has your Haplogroup got to do with your Family Finder results or the 1-2 cousins? The Y-DNA haplogroup have genetic step matches such as 0,1, 2, 3 etc. but those aren't cousin matches. The Family Finder tests your autosoml DNA and doesn't give you a haplogroup.
        The only reason I mentioned my haplogroup is because it changed when I got my FF results... (I'm an analogue man in a digital world, so this stuff is a bit over my head and I try and keep up with it).

        My 67 marker matches include a "0" step and other very close ones, so I know I'm on the right track. I was R1b1a -M253 (?) I think, but now it's switched to R1b U198, and I thought my new test in FF was responsible.

        In FF I do have a 1-2 cousin match, and a 5th cousin that I've just heard from. I'm trying to run down the U-198 stuff.

        Thanks for the reply. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
          The only reason I mentioned my haplogroup is because it changed when I got my FF results... (I'm an analogue man in a digital world, so this stuff is a bit over my head and I try and keep up with it).

          My 67 marker matches include a "0" step and other very close ones, so I know I'm on the right track. I was R1b1a -M253 (?) I think, but now it's switched to R1b U198, and I thought my new test in FF was responsible.

          In FF I do have a 1-2 cousin match, and a 5th cousin that I've just heard from. I'm trying to run down the U-198 stuff.

          Thanks for the reply. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
          A 67 marker match at 0 steps is extremely close. He is probably related to you through your direct paternal line within the past 5 generations. If that person also had a Family Finder test there will also be a FF in same place it has what level of STR testing he has had. The TiP calculator icon and link is located in that same grouping. If he has had a FF test and is a 4th cousin or less he should be in your list of FF matches.

          Do your 67 marker matches have an SNP under the Terminal SNP column? If so, what are they? If not and you want to be sure the prediction is accurate you need to order the U198 SNP they predicted you to be positive for at https://www.familytreedna.com/upgrad...V&category=SNP

          The chromosome browser is for a seeing the segment of DNA you share with the matches that you select. If you find other people that match you and them on the same segment it should be from a common ancestor between all of you. In order for it to be useful you need to have several close relatives to get the Family Finder test and your matches do too and most parties need a well documented tree going back 6 generations at least. Many of the matches at 4th cousin or further back can actually be from a more distant common ancestor.

          A third party program call Genome Mate is better than the chromosome browser but it can be somewhat difficult for someone that isn't technically inclined.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Armando View Post
            A 67 marker match at 0 steps is extremely close. He is probably related to you through your direct paternal line within the past 5 generations. If that person also had a Family Finder test there will also be a FF in same place it has what level of STR testing he has had. The TiP calculator icon and link is located in that same grouping. If he has had a FF test and is a 4th cousin or less he should be in your list of FF matches.

            Do your 67 marker matches have an SNP under the Terminal SNP column? If so, what are they? If not and you want to be sure the prediction is accurate you need to order the U198 SNP they predicted you to be positive for at https://www.familytreedna.com/upgrad...V&category=SNP

            The chromosome browser is for a seeing the segment of DNA you share with the matches that you select. If you find other people that match you and them on the same segment it should be from a common ancestor between all of you. In order for it to be useful you need to have several close relatives to get the Family Finder test and your matches do too and most parties need a well documented tree going back 6 generations at least. Many of the matches at 4th cousin or further back can actually be from a more distant common ancestor.

            A third party program call Genome Mate is better than the chromosome browser but it can be somewhat difficult for someone that isn't technically inclined.
            Hi,

            I made a misstatement with respect to my "0" match. That match came in at 25 markers. I tested for 67. I have two exact matches; that one and another of "1 step". All the other matches have come in at 5 to 7.

            In FF I have no exact match perse', just a 1st - 2nd cousin whom I've yet to hear from.

            I have tracked and located my immediate "birth family" and have a full genealogy, but meeting cousins would be nice as they may have some information. As for the browser and looking at FF matches; it's really Greek to me, so I'm trying to learn about about interpretation. For instance; I've looked through the pages on what an SNP is - and there is nothing that says it in two sentences. Why test for it? I mean, didn't I when I I got my first results?

            On this FF thing however; it's interesting and I'll wait and see what comes of it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
              Hi,

              I made a misstatement with respect to my "0" match. That match came in at 25 markers. I tested for 67. I have two exact matches; that one and another of "1 step". All the other matches have come in at 5 to 7.

              In FF I have no exact match perse', just a 1st - 2nd cousin whom I've yet to hear from.

              I have tracked and located my immediate "birth family" and have a full genealogy, but meeting cousins would be nice as they may have some information. As for the browser and looking at FF matches; it's really Greek to me, so I'm trying to learn about about interpretation. For instance; I've looked through the pages on what an SNP is - and there is nothing that says it in two sentences. Why test for it? I mean, didn't I when I I got my first results?

              On this FF thing however; it's interesting and I'll wait and see what comes of it.
              If your matches don't respond and/or don't have a a tree it makes it much harder to successfully use Family Finder to associate segments with certain grandparents or great-grandparents.

              SNP testing is for narrowing down matches at 37 markers and above and for learning more about populations. People that are positive for a SNP on a different branch than you are positive for don't descend from any of your direct paternal ancestors in the past 2,000 years or so depending on the specific SNPs. If they haven't tested for a downstream SNP they will only show a predicted positive SNP and many times it is upstream of an SNP that you might test for and you can't rule them out from being from the same paternal line until they do. If the match is at 25 markers and has had a 67 marker test but don't match you at 67 markers you don't normally need SNP testing to rule them out since the 67 marker test has already ruled them out.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Armando View Post
                If your matches don't respond and/or don't have a a tree it makes it much harder to successfully use Family Finder to associate segments with certain grandparents or great-grandparents.

                SNP testing is for narrowing down matches at 37 markers and above and for learning more about populations. People that are positive for a SNP on a different branch than you are positive for don't descend from any of your direct paternal ancestors in the past 2,000 years or so depending on the specific SNPs. If they haven't tested for a downstream SNP they will only show a predicted positive SNP and many times it is upstream of an SNP that you might test for and you can't rule them out from being from the same paternal line until they do. If the match is at 25 markers and has had a 67 marker test but don't match you at 67 markers you don't normally need SNP testing to rule them out since the 67 marker test has already ruled them out.
                Thanks. My matches went to 25 and 37. I've thought of upgrading to 111 but I don't know what good it would do.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Armando View Post
                  If your matches don't respond and/or don't have a a tree it makes it much harder to successfully use Family Finder to associate segments with certain grandparents or great-grandparents.

                  SNP testing is for narrowing down matches at 37 markers and above and for learning more about populations. People that are positive for a SNP on a different branch than you are positive for don't descend from any of your direct paternal ancestors in the past 2,000 years or so depending on the specific SNPs. If they haven't tested for a downstream SNP they will only show a predicted positive SNP and many times it is upstream of an SNP that you might test for and you can't rule them out from being from the same paternal line until they do. If the match is at 25 markers and has had a 67 marker test but don't match you at 67 markers you don't normally need SNP testing to rule them out since the 67 marker test has already ruled them out.
                  On SNPs, here's one sentence (from another thread here) that says it all quite well:

                  "A haplogroup is a population group that shares the same mutations (SNPs). it is also a designation of that particular mutation set."


                  Is that correct?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
                    Thanks. My matches went to 25 and 37. I've thought of upgrading to 111 but I don't know what good it would do.
                    There is no way to know if that would be fruitful without getting the test. The decision to get it should be based on your budget.

                    Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
                    On SNPs, here's one sentence (from another thread here) that says it all quite well:

                    "A haplogroup is a population group that shares the same mutations (SNPs). it is also a designation of that particular mutation set."


                    Is that correct?
                    It can be depending on how far downstream the SNP is in the phylogenetic tree. But for instance, L21 can be found as far away as Spain. I don't think that M222 is found outside the Isles though. That is why the BigY is the best test for SNP testing. It can get you down to an SNP found within a relatively small geographic area and even provide private SNPs that only close relatives have.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X