Gedmatch Puerto-Rican - really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedmatch Puerto-Rican - really?

I got some results saying I match Puerto Rican, I am okay with it and it makes sense since I descend from Spanish from Andalusia and Portuguese, but it will be as if saying I match with Brazil.

My question is: How can such a new, filled with immigrants country can be a 'population' where you can compare dna against?

It is like someone here get the results that say they match 'North American'.

Same will be with Australians. How can one match with 'Australian'.

Sorry terrible English, hope you understand.

The Great Mixing Pot of Life

Imagine your great Grand Parents each had 12 Brothers and Sisters, and some of them Immigrated to North America, some to South America and maybe one went to Australia and they all married and had children and their children married and had children and so on, you are genetically related to all of them, you share DNA with all of them from your Great Grand Parents, does that help.

Comment

It may be the case that Puerto Ricans, as a relatively small island population, are classified as an endogamous (highly intermarried) population. This would be similar to Ashkenazi or colonial American ancestry, although perhaps not as drastic, with small founding populations. It also may be the case that the specific Native American population of Puerto Rico (Taino, I believe) makes the DNA of descendants distinctive enough to recognize as Puerto Rican.

If that's true, then whatever calculator at Gedmatch you used may have been able to create a Puerto Rican category, just as FTDNA and 23andMe have a separate Ashkenazi category that can be recognized by their algorithms. Someone who's knowledgeable about how Puerto Ricans come out in autosomal tests would be able to speak better to this and confirm or not that my supposition has some basis in results.

Comment

Thank you for your replies

Comment

It may be the case that Puerto Ricans, as a relatively small island population, are classified as an endogamous (highly intermarried) population. This would be similar to Ashkenazi or colonial American ancestry, although perhaps not as drastic, with small founding populations.
          Yes, I am Puerto Rican and this is true. Puerto Ricans tend to have a lot of matches. Even those with one Puerto Rican parent tend to have lots of Puerto Rican matches. I would recommend for anyone interested to read this article about Puerto Rico:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0016513

Roberta the reason you come up Puerto Rican is likely because of the similarity as you said. There is only a Brazilian sample on Dodecad World 9 on GEDMatch. There are Puerto Rican samples on MDLP World, MDLP World 22, Harappa World, and Dodecad World 9 so you would necessarily come out Puerto Rican more often than Brazilian. Many Puerto Ricans have similar admixture to many Brazilians. I’m guessing Mex30 or Ecuadorian (For instance) don’t come up on your single population lists? This is because the admixture of the samples from there is not as similar to Brazil as the Puerto Rican samples. They (both) tend to be less Sub-Saharan and much more Native American (The samples used on GEDmatch. Individuals will vary).

You are probably closer to PUR30 on World 9 than Brazil? This is likely because Dodecad world 9 uses a small sample population for Brazil and the sample tends to be more European/less admixed than any of the Puerto Rican samples and many Brazilians I'm guessing. World 9 has two Puerto Rican samples. Admixture varies in Puerto Rico depending on the region, etc. The same could be said for Brazil. In other words not everyone will share the exact admixture of the Brazilian samples who is Brazilian. You probably come out on Dodecad World 9 around 42% Atlantic-Baltic, 23-25% Southern, 6-8% Caucasus-Gedrosia, 12% Amerindian, and around 11-14% African right? That is closer to PUR30 admixture than the Brazilian admixture (from the small Brazilian sample). Most people (that I have seen) who have one parent who is Puerto Rican and one European parent come out Brazilian first on Dodecad World 9. This is because the admixture is similar (Not exact especially if the other parent is northern European). Here is a list of the Dodecad World 9 population averages. Brazil and both Puerto Rican samples are on the list. CLM30 is also here. I would assume you match CLM30 as well (Single population) though not as closely as Puerto Rico due to somewhat similar admixture as well.
          Brazilian is on line 29
          MEX30 line 101
          Ecuadorian line 169
          Puerto_Rican line 170
          CLM30 line 172
          PUR30 line 173:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jTVdfZEE#gid=0

My question is: How can such a new, filled with immigrants country can be a 'population' where you can compare dna against?

It is like someone here get the results that say they match 'North American'.
          I see what you are saying but there is nothing wrong with using Puerto Rico as a reference. No one 100% Polish (For example) is coming up Puerto Rican. Brazil is just similar to Puerto Rico kind of like Cornwall and Kent or Ashkenazi and Sicilian look similar/have similar admixtures on calculators such as these. You would need a more in depth analysis than Dodecad World 9 to see a big difference between these seemingly similar populations. Being world based calculators however they would tend not to be as in-depth an analysis as you would need to differentiate similarly admixed populations. Hope this helps.

Comment

Sorry MDLP K23b also has a Puerto Rican sample I forgot to mention.

Comment

JMash

Thank you, it makes sense. If you want to see my results it is F336350 , my dad which is very european is F347644.

Comment

Working...
              X