Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder match has same Y Group as me

Hi there,

I recently found that one of my family finder matches, supposedly a 3rd to 5th cousin, happens to have the same Y Haplogroup as I do (R-P312).

He doesn't show up on my Y results though. Shouldn't he, if he is the same group?

Thanks,
    Scott

Do you know whether he shares his Y-DNA results?

What are yours and his Y-DNA STR tests?

R-P312 dates way back before any genealogy starts, and Family Finder range is only around 5 generations. So, no he does not need to be in among your Y-DNA matches.

W.

Comment

Originally posted by lobsterjesus View Post
      Hi there,

I recently found that one of my family finder matches, supposedly a 3rd to 5th cousin, happens to have the same Y Haplogroup as I do (R-P312).

He doesn't show up on my Y results though. Shouldn't he, if he is the same group?

Thanks,
      Scott
      Y-DNA matches is based on STR, not SNP. So if he joined project, you can compare the result manually.

Comment

Originally posted by lobsterjesus View Post
        Hi there,

Thanks,
        Scott
        Since you don't match on the Y-DNA then your direct paternal line is very likely to be different from your match's direct paternal line. He would only show as a Y-DNA match if your direct paternal line and your match's direct paternal line were the same or if there was a coincidence in the markers even if you are from different paternal lines.

P312 is a very common SNP marker among western Europeans. Once the SNP-pack is released you will want to order it and convince all of your matches to order it so you can concentrate on more recent subclades.

Comment

Working...
        X