FF matches with family trees question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF matches with family trees question

I only have a few FF matches that have trees, 4 to be exact. FF lists us as 2nd-4th cousins, yet when I look at their family trees and surnames, I don't see any matches with my tree.

I'm still a bit of a newb at this but I would have thought with cousin matches that close I would have recognized some names ...?

whats the total cm shared? whats the longest block?

Originally posted by matd View Post
    I only have a few FF matches that have trees, 4 to be exact. FF lists us as 2nd-4th cousins, yet when I look at their family trees and surnames, I don't see any matches with my tree.

I'm still a bit of a newb at this but I would have thought with cousin matches that close I would have recognized some names ...?

Comment

Shared CM is anywhere from 40 to 49. I see I can sort by longest block but how can I get the actual values?

Comment

whats the longest block for them and at the top left of the matches click Show Full View to see all values

Shared CM is anywhere from 40 to 49. I see I can sort by longest block but how can I get the actual values?

Comment

Gotcha! Thanks for the tip.

The first 6 matches are:

Shared CM Longest Block
          ---------------------------------
          49.0 25.0
          48.0 23.0
          46.0 21.0
          47.0 19.0
          46.0 19.0
          45.0 19.0

Comment

those are not very high but there probably 5th to distant cousins

distant being it could be back to the 1500's

Gotcha! Thanks for the tip.

The first 6 matches are:

Shared CM Longest Block
            ---------------------------------
            49.0 25.0
            48.0 23.0
            46.0 21.0
            47.0 19.0
            46.0 19.0
            45.0 19.0

Comment

I take it FTDNA's assessment of 2nd - 4th cousins is a bit off?

Comment

out of 560 matches not one fits in there assessment so yeah there way off

I take it FTDNA's assessment of 2nd - 4th cousins is a bit off?

Comment

I can tell you that a match they predicted as being a 2nd-4th cousin for me, actually turned out to be a 6th cousin of mine, but we both had a paper trail to prove the connection between us, the DNA was just confirming it.

On the other hand, over at Ancestry, their test told me that a lady who is a my 3rd cousin was predicted to be my 4th cousin, despite the fact that we're descended from the same set of great-great grandparents, and both of us have trees that show that we're their great-great grandchildren.

Comment

Giving a name to a relationship level of a cousin as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. is almost impossible for a DNA test to call exactly. The levels are based on the amount of shared DNA and those levels can be a different even among full siblings.

For even more distant relatives like cousins the tests can call a possible range say 2nd to 4th with a prediction of 3rd, but the test can't say exactly. If there is a situation of intermarriage in a family, for example, a person may get a extra whammy of certain lines of DNA making a cousin call appear closer in. The tests (neither here at FTDNA or at Ancestry) can't attach names to the DNA, just that the DNA is showing. That's where the paper trail comes in.

In tracing my family back, across, and down through various lines, I have been constantly amazed at the number of my 2nd cousins, etc. who married my 2nd great grand aunts, or other cousins. My thoughts always being, "I wonder what that will make their descendants to me???????" or "This is going to be interesting!"

Comment

Working...
                    X