FF and 23andMe V3 transfers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF and 23andMe V3 transfers?

I saw the offer of a free data transfer and was about to take the plunge, but wondered how a transfer would affect matching compared with a proper test. The latter might help fill in some of the no calls in my V3 data...

Does anyone know how many SNPs the Family Finder and 23andMe V3 tests have in common/overlap?

Is it possible to try the free transfer just to see if there are any matches, and then once I determine it's worth it, pay to be tested by FTDNA using my stored DNA sample?

I'm most interested in the answer to the last question, if efgen/Elise is around...

And I've also hit a slight problem. It showed I was at 50% completion when I stopped short of uploading my data, but now there's no way to cancel it.

The problem is that my mtDNA and Y-DNA match profiles no longer display any details: http://i.imgur.com/6LU54yd.png

It's as if the information has been held to ransom unless I complete the upload of my 23andMe data.

Comment

Originally posted by Peradam View Post
      I saw the offer of a free data transfer and was about to take the plunge, but wondered how a transfer would affect matching compared with a proper test. The latter might help fill in some of the no calls in my V3 data...
      Does anyone know how many SNPs the Family Finder and 23andMe V3 tests have in common/overlap?
      There's really no difference between testing directly with Family Tree DNA or transferring from 23andMe (V3) or Ancestry, as far as your matches.

They all use the same base Illumina chip, and 23andMe used an extended version of the chip to add more SNPs. But those extra SNPs aren't used for the comparison -- only the SNPs from the base chip are compared.

The reason why 23andMe's V4/V2 results are not accepted for transfer is because those use/used different chips that have a significant number of SNPs not in common with Family Finder.

Is it possible to try the free transfer just to see if there are any matches, and then once I determine it's worth it, pay to be tested by FTDNA using my stored DNA sample?
      We'd really prefer that you don't do this. Customer Support would need to get IT to manually remove your transfer file so that you can then purchase FF on your account, since you can't have two sets of autosomal DNA in a single account.

Since you've already started the transfer, it's really best to just complete it

Elise

Comment

And I've also hit a slight problem. It showed I was at 50% completion when I stopped short of uploading my data, but now there's no way to cancel it.
        Right, you can't cancel the transfer order yourself. At this point, you have two options:
        • Complete the transfer by uploading the file using the Transfer Upload button on your myFTDNA homepage, then pay the $39 (or refer 4 others to upload using the provided link) to unlock the full transfer
        • Contact Customer Support and ask them to cancel the transfer order if you prefer to just purchase Family Finder.

The problem is that my mtDNA and Y-DNA match profiles no longer display any details: http://i.imgur.com/6LU54yd.png
        That's a bug I'll report to IT, thanks!

Elise
        Last edited by efgen; 18 October 2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Two Transfers

This one is for Elise also..

I have mentioned this elsewhere but Thursday night 10/17 I completed one transfer happily. The second one said it would be ready in one hour and loaded on a page. Next morning it had not done anything and yesterday at 3PM on Live Chat I was told that IT "took it out" and that I should upload again. I did and it said I had data in the system. So Chat sent me a link and it still would not work.
          He then said IT said it was a "glitch" and they would need to fix it..

Just now I saw someone else advised to "try again" so I did so.. it again told me that there was data in the system but this time it opened a new page and gave me a new kit # but again said it is in the system.

Nothing is loaded on either page except the name and kit # ( two different kit #s)

So WHAT exactly is loaded into the system that is preventing me from completing this transfer??

In the meantime I transferred my 2 granddaughters genome and the uploads went smoothly..Utilizing the same email address..kathlingram @copper

Thanks so much

Kathy

Comment

Kathy: Per my response to you on Facebook, your issue will have to be resolved by IT on Monday.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
              We'd really prefer that you don't do this. Customer Support would need to get IT to manually remove your transfer file so that you can then purchase FF on your account, since you can't have two sets of autosomal DNA in a single account.
              Oh...that's a shame. I'll get in touch with customer service to cancel the transfer; I think I'd prefer to just purchase Family Finder. Thanks very much for your help, Elise.

For anyone interested, I compared my V3 results with public FF data and the overlap was just shy of 700,000 SNPs, leaving around 26,000 unique FF SNPs. Regarding no calls, my V3 data contains 11,534 of them (excluding Y and mito SNPs), 7,510 of which are covered by Family Finder. I had previously discovered some mismatching/false positives in my 23andMe mtDNA data when compared to my Family Tree full sequence results, so I wouldn't mind comparing autosomal results as well.

Comment

A Bug?

Checking my grandson's FF transfer I noticed that my son ( his uncle) was not listed in his matches.

I went to look at my son's account and his have all disappeared except for me- his mother..None..

Is something being done to check things and this has happened?

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
                  Checking my grandson's FF transfer I noticed that my son ( his uncle) was not listed in his matches.

I went to look at my son's account and his have all disappeared except for me- his mother..None..

Is something being done to check things and this has happened?

Kathy
                  99.99% chance that either you or your son have changed some permission in your son account. And you were thinking that you were changing only some notification level... Please verify

Comment

@Kathleen Carrow

In the attachment, you can see the settings as they should be.

It takes around 10-15 minutes, for the settings to take effect. So you may want to logout and take a short break before returning to the Family Finder matches screen.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                      In the attachment, you can see the settings as they should be.

It takes around 10-15 minutes, for the settings to take effect. So you may want to logout and take a short break before returning to the Family Finder matches screen.
                      How wonderful! You are correct! I thought I was just changing the emails.. They are loaded again..
                      Thank you so much!

Comment

This was fixed today

Elise

Comment

Working...
                        X