How long does it take.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take.....

One question I see a lot in the forum is how long does it take to send your kit back to FTDNA.

So when I ordered a kit for my Great Aunt I decided to keep track of the dates to see how long it takes.

1) Ordered FF Kit on August 18th
    2) FTDNA SAID that the Kit was sent on August 19th
    3) I did not receive the kit until September 4th. Seems odd it would take that long for the package to make it from Houston, Texas to the Central, Illinois. So I think they say it was sent on the 19th but it probably was not. There was no way to track the package on the trip to me.

4) I visited my great Aunt on September 9th and we collected the samples.

5) On September 10th, I stopped at the post office and had them scan the package in. The return mailer already has postage paid with tracking information. So I tracked the package from that point on.

6) It arrived in Houston, Texas Zip 77201 on September 13th.

7) it was then sent to another post office in Houston on Tuesday the 16th Zip code 77008 It was then subsequently delivered on that day.

8) Now I cross my fingers that it goes in with the batches tomorrow. Otherwise It will sit around until next Wednesday.

I will update this post when it gets batched.

By "delivered" do you mean that FTDNA has the kit marked as "Received" or do you just mean the tracking on the package says that it arrived in Houston? It won't be batched until FTDNA scans it as being "Received". They are sometimes weeks behind and a package could arrive and sit for a week or two before it is officially scanned in and "Received". It is then batched usually on Wednesdays.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
      By "delivered" do you mean that FTDNA has the kit marked as "Received" or do you just mean the tracking on the package says that it arrived in Houston? It won't be batched until FTDNA scans it as being "Received". They are sometimes weeks behind and a package could arrive and sit for a week or two before it is officially scanned in and "Received". It is then batched usually on Wednesdays.
      It has been delivered to FTDNA but it has NOT been marked as received yet. So I am hoping that all happens today during the weekly batching process. Otherwise it won't happen until next Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
        They are sometimes weeks behind and a package could arrive and sit for a week or two before it is officially scanned in and "Received".
        That's not correct. Kits are checked into our system within 1-2 days of being received by our office. When we have higher volume from a sale, it may take a day or two longer. But we definitely do not have kits waiting for *weeks* to be checked in.

What's actually happening in cases where it appears that we're taking a week or more to check in a delivered kit:

The local post office sorts received FTDNA kits into a bin or bag that will ultimately be delivered to our office. Kits that are sent with tracking get scanned in as "delivered" by the post office when they are sorted into the bin/bag. However, that bin/bag may not be delivered to the FTDNA office the same day -- sometimes it takes a few days for the postal service to actually deliver it to us. Perhaps they wait for the bin/bag to fill up, I'm not really sure. Whatever the reason, it's out of our control. All we can do is process the kits once we receive them.

Elise

Comment

Elise, just out of curiosity -- and if I'm out of line by asking, just say so -- but I noticed you're based out of Florida; how much time have/do you actually spend on site in Houston familiarizing yourself with the realities of FTDNA's day-to-day operations?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
            Elise, just out of curiosity -- and if I'm out of line by asking, just say so -- but I noticed you're based out of Florida; how much time have/do you actually spend on site in Houston familiarizing yourself with the realities of FTDNA's day-to-day operations?
            I don't need to physically be in Houston -- I'm in regular contact with in-office staff through other means That said, I have spent time in the office, and certainly there are benefits to doing so periodically.

Elise
            Last edited by efgen; 17 September 2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
              That's not correct. Kits are checked into our system within 1-2 days of being received by our office. When we have higher volume from a sale, it may take a day or two longer. But we definitely do not have kits waiting for *weeks* to be checked in.

What's actually happening in cases where it appears that we're taking a week or more to check in a delivered kit:

The local post office sorts received FTDNA kits into a bin or bag that will ultimately be delivered to our office. Kits that are sent with tracking get scanned in as "delivered" by the post office when they are sorted into the bin/bag. However, that bin/bag may not be delivered to the FTDNA office the same day -- sometimes it takes a few days for the postal service to actually deliver it to us. Perhaps they wait for the bin/bag to fill up, I'm not really sure. Whatever the reason, it's out of our control. All we can do is process the kits once we receive them.

Elise
              It doesn't matter to the customer if the kits sit at the post office or the FTDNA headquarters, all I know is it often takes weeks (not days) for the kits to be "Received" so I believe my statement was true. Sometimes my kits and project member's kits are checked in promptly but many times it is a couple weeks, during a sale it can take 4 weeks. I have worried many times that the kits were lost in the mail only to finally get the "Received" notification. It wasn't ever a issue of insufficient postage etc. I don't think I'm alone I see people worried about their kit not being received many times in the forums and Facebook. It could be the Houston Post Office, I don't know but regardless in the customer's eyes it reflects bad on FTDNA whether it is their fault or not.

Comment

Now it has been marked as received by FTDNA in my great aunt's account but it has not yet been marked as received by the lab. So we will see if it gets batched today yet or not. I am guessing not And if is not then it will be in next Wednesday's batch.

I will update this when it does so everyone will get a better handle on the process. I did notice that the Houston post office is half the problem. The kit made it to Houston but to a different zip code than where FTDNA is located and sat there from Friday until Monday when it was shipped to a different zip code in Houston before it was sent out for delivery (that cost another day).

Comment

It made it! it has been batched!

So here is a summary.

3) I did not receive the kit until September 4th. Seems odd it would take that long for the package to make it from Houston, Texas to the Central, Illinois. So I think they say it was sent on the 19th but it probably was not. There was no way to track the package on the trip to me.

4) I visited my great Aunt on September 9th and we collected the samples.

5) On September 10th, I stopped at the post office and had them scan the package in. The return mailer already has postage paid with tracking information. So I tracked the package from that point on.

6) It arrived in Houston, Texas Zip 77201 on September 13th.

7) it was then sent to another post office in Houston on Tuesday the 16th Zip code 77008 It was then subsequently delivered on that day. According to Elise, the delivered status happens when the kit is placed in the bin at that post office in zip code 77008

8) On Wednesday September 17th I checked the status of the kit and it was shown as received by FTDNA but not yet received by the lab. That was around 4:00 PM

9) On Wednesday September 17th at 7:30 PM I checked the status again and it has been received by the lab and Batched!

So the process takes about a month from the time you order until the kit is batched. If the test would have been for me It would have been a week sooner but it was for my great aunt and I had to make arrangements to meet her at the nursing home (about 5 days from when I received the kit). If I would have waited another day to take it to the post office it would have been another week longer.

I hope this helps others understand the process.

Now hopefully we got some plenty of DNA on those brushes and the results come in short time. We followed the instructions perfectly but you never know.

I will make one final update when her results have been posted and that will be the entire process.

Comment

Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post
                    [----]
                    [----]
                    If you kept the envelope, do you see (with a magnifying glass...) from the top right corner:
                    * stamps.com
                    * FROM 77008
                    * 08/19/2014 (or whatever date the letter really was sent)
                    * some barcode gibberish

P.S. I recall all our test kits being sent the next business day.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                      That said, I have spent time in the office, and certainly there are benefits to doing so periodically.

Elise
                      Yeah, I would definitely think it would help to have that on-site perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                        If you kept the envelope, do you see (with a magnifying glass...) from the top right corner:
                        * stamps.com
                        * FROM 77008
                        * 08/19/2014 (or whatever date the letter really was sent)
                        * some barcode gibberish

P.S. I recall all our test kits being sent the next business day.
                        dna, you were spot on. Right at the top under stamps.com label it said it was shipped on 08/19/2014. And it was from Zip Code 77008. So everything in my summary is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post
                          dna, you were spot on [----]
                          Do I get bonus points for defending FTDNA good name ?

USPS might be after me now...

Comment

Update:

Today I just received the results of this Kit. October 10th and it was batched on September 18th.

So I ordered the kit on August 18th. Received the kit on September 4th. I collected my great aunts sample on September 9th. I mailed the sample on September 10th. It arrived in Houston, Texas Zip 77201 on September 13th.
                            It was then sent to another post office in Houston on Tuesday the 16th Zip code 77008 and then it was then subsequently delivered on that day to FTDNA. (According to Elise, the delivered status happens when the kit is placed in the bin or bag at that post office) in zip code 77008.

On Wednesday September 17th I checked the status of the kit and it was shown as received by FTDNA but not yet received by the lab. That was around 4:00 PM

On Wednesday September 17th at 7:30 PM I checked the status again and it has been received by the lab and Batched! Then on October 10th at 1:00 PM CT the results were uploaded.

Comment

Working...
                            X