Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Frequently will I see additional new FF Matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Frequently will I see additional new FF Matches?

I have recently received Family Finder results from my testing. It shows that I have only 16 matches. As new people are being tested all the time, I am wondering how frequently my matches will be updated? Will I need to do anything, beyond just logging in, to force the site to look again for additional new matches?

As far as I know, you don't need to do anything at all for the system to match new people to you - of course, you do have to log in so you can see them, but they are there before you do.

I have many more matches than you do (for all the good it does me in my situation, but that's another story ), and I think that means that many more people with genetic backgrounds similar to mine have tested than those with backgrounds similar to yours.

As a result, I think I will see new matches much more often than you will, so my experience will not be a good guide for you regarding how often new matches will appear.

I am seeing on average around three new matches every two weeks or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Often these are so distant that they are not useful for my purposes.

I am by no means an expert, and I may be way off, but since you started with only 16 matches (assuming that the matching is complete against everyone else currently in the database), I would guess that you might see maybe one new match per month. A totally wild guess, but it depends heavily on who is testing, and what population you are matching.

Since I am not an expert, I'll be quiet now, and let others correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, one last thing - if you want to potentially find more matches, you can upload your data to a site called gedmatch.com, where you can be matched against others who have uploaded their data there (from here, and from other testing services such as 23andMe, and Ancestry.com).

Depending on what your goal is, having just one match from another company might make all the difference.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JanFos View Post
      I have recently received Family Finder results from my testing. It shows that I have only 16 matches. As new people are being tested all the time, I am wondering how frequently my matches will be updated? Will I need to do anything, beyond just logging in, to force the site to look again for additional new matches?
      New Bathes are usually start on Wednesday's and sometimes on Thursdays. When batches are starting that means batches are ending. Once a batch is completed the results of all tests are not uploaded at once. So usually by Sunday all results for the current batch would usually be posted. If you wanted just one day a week to check then I would pick Sunday.

This does not work though during special promotions. The father's day sales seemed to tie things up and some results did not get posted for a couple weeks.

I always check starting Thursday afternoon but I check again on Sunday and there is usually a couple more. I have heavy American colonial lines so I tend to get a lot of matches. Usually 5 to 10 per week.

Comment

Originally posted by JanFos View Post
        If you only have 16 matches in FF then you are from an under-represented population in the database. One can hope in time the database of autosomal tests will grow significantly.

Until then, you can upload your raw data on gedmatch.com and see if you have matches from other sources.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. Since I have so few matches, I was afraid I might be doing something (or NOT doing something!) that might find additions.

I have just this week-end begun to work with gedmatch.com and, as expected, there seems to be a few more matches there. Guess I'll just have to be patient

Comment

Working...
          X