No announcement yet.

Batching Family Finder Tests Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batching Family Finder Tests Question!

I ordered a Family Finder test for my 1st cousin and he received it, took the test, then mailed it out on July 14th. As of today, it still says, "Kit Not Returned"...

So, how on Earth can I find out if FTDNA ever received the kit if it isn't batched yet?

Can anyone tell me what I can do to find out because I also have a nephew who's kit was mailed out on July 15th and it says the same thing, "Kit Not Returned".

Surely both kits did not get lost in the mail as they live in different states. I know I'm a worry wart!

Other questions...

Is it possible kits stay in a box until there is enough kits for Family Finder to be batch processed and then sent to the lab?

I understand different tests are batched separately so FF would be batched together with other FF tests to be sent to the lab. Is this correct? If so, does any body know if they are behind on batching tests?

Does anyone know how long you should wait before requesting a replacement kit to be sent out? It has been 16 days since the kits were sent out in the mail from two different States to Family Tree DNA...

Thanks!
    Last edited by CarolynHicks; 27 July 2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

According to CEO Bennett Greenspan, FTDNA has had problems with the Houston mail center, on and off, for years.

These sorts of problems seem to surface whenever there's a deluge of mail as the result of popular sales.

You need to contact FTDNA and let them know your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
        According to CEO Bennett Greenspan, FTDNA has had problems with the Houston mail center, on and off, for years.

These sorts of problems seem to surface whenever there's a deluge of mail as the result of popular sales.

I sure will! I have a lot of concerns now because it is well over two weeks and no batching on either kit! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post

The specific problem with the local post office is that they hold all mail which has insufficient postage. They don't release the mail to the addressee until they receive payment for packages so that full postage is paid.

It seems that many people, perhaps from overseas, don't know the exact postage a test kit package requires and put less than required. So, many test kits sent to FTDNA end up being held by the post office.

Since the amount of additional postage required for each package is small, FTDNA doesn't send anyone to the post office every day or once a week with a check for the additional postage for all the held packages. I think they send someone to the post office once or twice a month.

All this is a major reason for delays in a test kit being received at FTDNA's offices and put in a testing batch. At least this is what I've heard put forward as the reason.

Comment

Interesting! Hmmm, there is no amount written on the brown return envelope so one assumes a regular stamp I suppose! Then, if you look at the very bottom of the instructions page, you do see the $2.32 postage requirements. So, this very well may have been the reason for the delay! I will contact each of my donors to ask what amount they paid to ship the kit back! Then, call FTDNA... Thanks!

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
            The specific problem with the local post office is that they hold all mail which has insufficient postage. They don't release the mail to the addressee until they receive payment for packages so that full postage is paid.

It seems that many people, perhaps from overseas, don't know the exact postage a test kit package requires and put less than required. So, many test kits sent to FTDNA end up being held by the post office.

Since the amount of additional postage required for each package is small, FTDNA doesn't send anyone to the post office every day or once a week with a check for the additional postage for all the held packages. I think they send someone to the post office once or twice a month.

All this is a major reason for delays in a test kit being received at FTDNA's offices and put in a testing batch. At least this is what I've heard put forward as the reason.

Comment

Wow! One of my donors paid $5 to have his kit returned. He ran a tracking on his kit and says it has been sitting at the Houston Post Office for almost two weeks and he has sufficient postage!

Originally posted by CarolynHicks View Post
              Interesting! Hmmm, there is no amount written on the brown return envelope so one assumes a regular stamp I suppose! Then, if you look at the very bottom of the instructions page, you do see the $2.32 postage requirements. So, this very well may have been the reason for the delay! I will contact each of my donors to ask what amount they paid to ship the kit back! Then, call FTDNA... Thanks!
              Last edited by CarolynHicks; 27 July 2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

If he has tracking on the package then maybe FTDNA has to go to the Post Office to sign for it and pick it up? ...which they do once or twice a month... Maybe...

Comment

I had no idea until now! I can't believe after ordering almost a dozen kits, I never noticed! Is this how they get ALL the kits? By taking a trip once or twice a month to the Post Office? Wow! The Post Office has had the kit for almost two weeks, so....

Originally posted by tommypeters View Post
                  If he has tracking on the package then maybe FTDNA has to go to the Post Office to sign for it and pick it up? ...which they do once or twice a month... Maybe...

Comment

You can track progress without it having to be signed for.

Comment

Well, that is correct! I have traced the kits via the tracking numbers and they have sat at the Post Office in Houston, TX for almost two weeks! So, no other choice but hurry up and wait. Since FTDNA hasn't even picked up the kits, no possibility of monitoring progress through Batch Processing!

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                      You can track progress without it having to be signed for.

Comment

I sent my kit from Australia via express international post. I was told by the post office it takes 3-7 days to reach the address in the USA. It showed "Kit not returned" for two weeks and then finally on the 3rd of July was batched.

P.S I paid $15 AUD for postage
                        Last edited by sarahmj; 28 July 2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolynHicks View Post
                          Well, that is correct! I have traced the kits via the tracking numbers and they have sat at the Post Office in Houston, TX for almost two weeks! So, no other choice but hurry up and wait. Since FTDNA hasn't even picked up the kits, no possibility of monitoring progress through Batch Processing!
                          It should not be necessary for FTDNA to pick up the kit unless you use the form of recorded delivery which has to be signed for. Postal tracking can be ordered without needing a signature at the other end.

Comment

Working...
                          X