X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixedkid
    replied
    Originally posted by neko View Post
    Good morning.. is it common not to have Family Finder matches for a couple of months? Is it because my ancestry is so recently from Europe? I only have 30 matches total. 1 new one showed up around April 15th.

Thanks,
    Al
    I can remember having at least one lengthy period of no matches on FTDNA. About having recent European immigrant ancestry and how that might affect matches: The vast majority of Norwegian matches my father and I get are Norwegian citizens; the vast majority of Swedish and Finnish matches my mother and I get are citizens of Sweden or Finland. Since all three of us were raised in the Midwest, one might think we'd have more Nordic matches in the U.S. or Canada but such is not the case. Our Nordic immigrant ancestors were in the U.S since the mid to late 1800s. We regularly get Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish matches from Europe every month.

Then again, there's French matches. I believe my father has one known match who is a French citizen (he found my dad on GEDmatch). The vast majority of my dad's French-related matches are citizens of the U.S. or Canada (and having French-Canadian or Acadian ancestry). He also has some U.S. matches who are Huguenot descendants and I believe a few Haitian matches (one a resident of Canada). My dad's French ancestors have been in North American for hundreds of years.
    Last edited by mixedkid; 1 July 2014, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lincoln
    replied
    FamilyTreeDNA has different criteria than AncestryDNA or 23andMe. I think it misses many matches that 23andMe would pick up. Ancestry? I have matches there that are labelled as "Moderate," that are less than 6cM (at 23andMe) and I have "Very Low" that are above 10cM. FTDNA uses among criteria, a total sum of segments above 20cM. I could have a one segment match of 19 cM at 23andMe, but would not match here unless I had another segment which pushed my sum total over 20 cM. Ancestry? They apparently fiddled with things, but I still have many "matches" there I don't trust.
    EDIT - I sometimes go more than a month w/o a match here. Started in Dec 2011 with 18 matches, have 119 now. Ancestral lines with average year of emigration to USA of about 1875, IIRC. Paternal lines emigrated c1826-1872 from Ireland/Germany & maternal lines emigrated c1895-1907 to US from Poland & Slovakia.
    Last edited by Lincoln; 28 June 2014, 03:42 PM. Reason: Detail

Leave a comment:

• Earl Davis
    replied
    Odd, I can click on my DNA list on Ancestry.com, and there is always a trickle.. almost all are low / very low confidence, but at least I know my DNA is still out there being compared. Here at FTDNA I have not had a match since April. Are there just not enough Europeans utilizing the service? Is there more volume at Ancestry?

Thanks,
    Al
    There is more volume at Ancestry.

but Ancestry will not sell tests to Europeans only to Americans.

Ancestry is reputed by some to have a more relaxed matching criteria than FTDNA when deciding of someone is possibly genetically related to you or not.

Earl.

Leave a comment:

• Inge Maria
    replied
    Hi Neko,
    I've been with FTDNA since 2006, a transfer from the original N. G. test.
    At this point I have 74 matches only one is 2-4th cousin.The rest are 5th
    cousins.I am European by birth of Czech/Polish mother and Swiss/French /German father.My M/O is West and Central European and Eastern European/Middle Eastern.As more people test I hope someone will match.
    Good luck

K1a1a2a

Leave a comment:

• neko
    replied
    And Still no new matches

Odd, I can click on my DNA list on Ancestry.com, and there is always a trickle.. almost all are low / very low confidence, but at least I know my DNA is still out there being compared. Here at FTDNA I have not had a match since April. Are there just not enough Europeans utilizing the service? Is there more volume at Ancestry?

Thanks,
    Al

Leave a comment:

• neko
    replied
    MerryB, yes, I am part of the Sicily DNA project.

JuanCarlos, I also have low and very low matches showing up daily at Ancestry.com That is why I thought maybe something was wrong at FTDNA, or wrong with my particular account.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JuanCarlos
    replied
    I have not had any new matches in months either. But at Ancestry I get new matches every day. Although mostly at the low confidence level.

Leave a comment:

• MerryB
    replied
    I bet they would love you at the Sicily dna project.

Leave a comment:

• neko
    replied
    Thank you for your reply - good to know I'm not the only one that has them trickling in.. I just have to be patient.

According to Origins, I am half Mediterranean and half Middle Eastern (typical Sicilian)... so maybe that is why.

Regards,
    Al

Leave a comment:

• Táltos
    replied
    Good morning.. is it common not to have Family Finder matches for a couple of months? Is it because my ancestry is so recently from Europe? I only have 30 matches total. 1 new one showed up around April 15th.

Thanks,
    Al
    My longest dry spell was from Oct. 2013, until Jan 2014. Since then I have had about 4-5 matches a month. So yes matches do come in very slow for some. They have a lot of people in their database that are Jewish, Colonial American, or Western European. So if your ancestry is not from one of these groups you won't receive as many matches.

I did the test back in the summer of 2012. If I recall correctly I only had 74 matches to start with. I'm finally up to 166.
    Last edited by Táltos; 6 June 2014, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• neko
    started a topic No Matches for 2 months

No Matches for 2 months

Thanks,
    Al
Working...
X