Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will someone please go over these matches with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will someone please go over these matches with me?

My father, his maternal first cousin, a second person, and a third person all match on the same segment of chromosome nine. The second person and the third person match in common, and share this same dna from their perspectives. My father's maternal first cousin does not match in common with either the second or third person. This means that my father and the second person and third person are related on my father's father's side of the family. Irregardless of the fact that more distant matches which my father and the second and third persons share in common come from my father's mother's more distant family.

Maternal First Cousin
    chr 9, start 111147510, end 138455027, 37.03 cM, 7923 SNPs

Second Person
    chr 9, start 117408582, end 135813844, 22.38 cM, 4971 SNPs

Third Person
    chr 9, start 117408582, end 134936986, 20.56 cM, 4585 SNPs

Originally posted by MerryB View Post
    regardless of the fact that more distant matches which my father and the second and third persons share in common come from my father's mother's more distant family.
    It's not unusual for people to be related multiple ways. (I can't begin to count the number of times at Ancestry.com where the leaf hint has ended up not being where the actual DNA connection lies.) If your father has colonial ancestry on both sides, you might expect to see more of this in the future.

Comment

Thank you, ShariS. Yes, he has U.S. Colonial ancestry on all ancestral lines. Glad to know I am not crazy. :-)

I took this match and some others and compared it to the ADSA tool at dnagedcom and wow, does that have that have the potential to be helpful, combined with the chromosome browser and matrix here, and with gedmatch.
      Last edited by MerryB; 29 May 2014, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X