Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange matches?

Hello everybody,

A long time ago I had received my FF results and matches. It was quite confusing for me. As far as I know (and written civil records can confirm this) my parents are both from southern Turkey (Cilicia). I can trace this back to the early 1800's. Yet I just have 5 remote cousins/matches. 3 of them are British, 1 Greek and 1 Russian, and that's all.
    Can anyone explain this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by sinan_murat View Post
    Hello everybody,

A long time ago I had received my FF results and matches. It was quite confusing for me. As far as I know (and written civil records can confirm this) my parents are both from southern Turkey (Cilicia). I can trace this back to the early 1800's. Yet I just have 5 remote cousins/matches. 3 of them are British, 1 Greek and 1 Russian, and that's all.
    Can anyone explain this?

Thanks.
    Compared to northwestern Europe, few people from Turkey have been tested.

Comment

josh w: My husband who has paternal German ancestry was contacted by a dna match (Boro) from the Black Sea coast of Turkey this week looking for a connection. Although my husband has no none ME heritage, his MOrigins shows 9%. His knee-jerk reaction was that one of his German ancestors went to Turkey as a mercenary. Any thoughts?

They have 13.6 cMs total, and 7.8 cMs longest seg, so was wondering if it is a false positive (IBS). Boro has 427 matches at Gedmatch, with my husband being one of his closest.
      Last edited by Biblioteque; 16 May 2014, 11:23 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
        josh w: My husband who has paternal German ancestry was contacted by a dna match (Boro) from the Black Sea coast of Turkey this week looking for a connection. Although my husband has no none ME heritage, his MOrigins shows 9%. His knee-jerk reaction was that one of his German ancestors went to Turkey as a mercenary. Any thoughts?

They have 13.6 cMs total, and 7.8 cMs longest seg, so was wondering if it is a false positive (IBS). Boro has 427 matches at Gedmatch, with my husband being one of his closest.
        Yes, the FF match apears to be quite distant.

For the past 10,000 years (Neolithic era) there has been migration from Anatolia to Europe (and the reverse). For example, the Ottoman Turks, the Etruscans in Italy as well as ordinary trade via the Danube.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
          Yes, the FF match apears to be quite distant.

For the past 10,000 years (Neolithic era) there has been migration from Anatolia to Europe (and the reverse). For example, the Ottoman Turks, the Etruscans in Italy as well as ordinary trade via the Danube.
          Note that your husband might also be correct, the Goths, the Celts (originating in the European Basin) etc.

Comment

Working...
          X