• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MisterAcoustic
    replied
    Originally posted by SMD View Post
    A few questions:

1) ...I cannot get any information by hovering my mouse over this region (and often times other regions on other chromosomes too), so I don't know just how long these segments are for each match...
    With regard to the problem where hovering over the matching segment doesn't show the detailed information - I believe that is a bug in the chromosome browser.

What I've found is that the hover information will be there for the most recent person you've added. If you select all the matches you are interested in before going to the chromosome browser for the first time, then all of the matching segments should have the hover detail information. Once you start removing and adding people, it gets confused. By removing and re-adding the people you are interested in, you should be able to get to the details for everyone eventually.

Of course, downloading the results gives it to you without all the re-adding nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    "1) In the CB I have noticed about 8 to 10 of my matches have segments overlapping around a specific chromosome's
    (11) centromere. I understand the centromere is the 'kinked' portion connecting the short arm and long arm of a particular chromosome. I cannot get any information by hovering my mouse over this region (and often times other regions on other chromosomes too), so I don't know just how long these segments are for each match. They appear to be large colored strips... But it seems the size of the colored strips has no bearing on the size of the segment in question."

If you click on "view this data in a table" you should be able to get more specific information about those locations.

Leave a comment:

• hfp43
    replied
    Numerous Tiny Matches

I have the same experience with my French-Canadian matches, with several instances of 8 or more matches on the same 1-3cM segment. These are clearly not random, and appear to be associated with the founding families in Quebec. I have other instances where larger segments (15-25 cM)appear to derive from those same founding families. Dr. Tim Jansen tells me this is because the very large size of those families (often 10 or more children)geometrically increases the probability of a match. The computer's matching algorithm thinks those ancestors are much closer than they actually were.

Leave a comment:

• SMD
    started a topic Segments, big & small...

Segments, big & small...

A few questions:

1) In the CB I have noticed about 8 to 10 of my matches have segments overlapping around a specific chromosome's
    (11) centromere. I understand the centromere is the 'kinked' portion connecting the short arm and long arm of a particular chromosome. I cannot get any information by hovering my mouse over this region (and often times other regions on other chromosomes too), so I don't know just how long these segments are for each match. They appear to be large colored strips... But it seems the size of the colored strips has no bearing on the size of the segment in question. Is the fact this region is taken up with so many of my matches segments significant, or is it just a bug in the chromosome browser program?

2) I have whole groups of matches who are related to each other, and have very small segment pieces with in some cases almost exact start and end points. In some cases there are as many as 8 to 10 matches whose tiny (<3cM) segments can match on various chromosomes. They are all related to each other, and they all seem to be at different relationship ranges of cousinship. Is the fact that there are so many matches with small cM segments in common in the same exact places of any significance?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Working...
X