I just got my Family Finder back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got my Family Finder back

I have looked at it and don't know what anything means and can't find out where it explains what the different things mean like cM and the numbers on the bar. I can't believe there isn't a sign somewhere DUMMIES THIS WAY!

I have looked through the trees (should be a requirement) and surnames but I am sure that is not the meat of the Finder.

What is the first thing one should do. Is is written somewhere so I can follow everything step by step to get the most out of Family Finder...Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't have any links handy to any good introductory information. I did a quick google search, and it wasn't as easy as I expected to find anything. Here is one link I found:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...logy-matching/

To answer your question about 'cM' - that's the abbreviation for 'centimorgans', which is a unit used to describe the length of a matching section of DNA between two people. You can think of it like 'inches', only for lengths of DNA. Your closer relatives will likely have higher cM values for both the longest single matching segment with you, and the total length of all matching segments.

Being a beginner myself, I like it when someone asks a question I can answer .

Good luck, and enjoy the very interesting world of genetic genealogy.

Comment

Thankyou Mr. AI can not believe more people don't cry out for this stuff.

I too expected there to be readily available instructions. They have YouTube Tutorials on how up D size batteries just about yet no instructional video for such a hot topic. I wrote to FTDNA and sent them to a site that I felt help me learn a program in notice....and they were a third path vendor for that program.
      Last edited by John Hayman; 11 May 2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Webinars

Have you view any of the free, recorded, webinars?

Recordings of all Family Tree DNA webinars are posted to the Webinars page of our Learning Center within 24-48 hours after the live webinar:
        http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/webinars/

Comment

Resource

There also is an e-book on interpreting results. Go to the Resources link at the top of your FTDNA home page. Here is the direct link:

https://www.familytreedna.com/pdf-do..._optimized.pdf

Comment

There used to be a FAQ for the various tests but it looks like somebody felt the need to replace that with a 'Learning Center' which is difficult to navigate and use. But there are FAQ snippets there under "Autosomal DNA Testing" there in the Learning Center (beginners wouldn't know the 'Autosomal DNA Testing' topic would cover Family Finder but it does).

Comment

Webinars

Jim -

Yes I tried several of the webinars but none would start up. As I remember I would just ge ta black screen and I think I used all three of my browsers.

If I could get immediate response (compared to 5-6 days, which is unheard of, really, in this industry, I would have contacted tech support.)

Thanks, I will try again.

Comment

Thank you Barry - Even though I hate t read,if it has what I want I will try the E-book. I did miss those. Thank you.

Comment

THankyou Travers

Thanks Travers. I know what you mean.I asked FTDNA if the hire Katheleen Seiblieus lately. One of my lives was a marketing director for a startup soft are company dealing with both front an back of the house. I was fresh from the restaurant industry with a smattering of computer knowledge .... dangerous knowledge. The first Salesperson, other than the owner who was a retautanteur and myself, was a computer salesman. He lasted two months. He couldn't speak the language of the restauranteur. This often happens in tech companies where they have programers or technicians writing the documentation which the end user, which is neither, hasn't the foggiest idea what anyone is trying to teach them. They need people NOT into DNA to write mandrake videos of what all to do with this vast amount information. While these people do not have to come from the DNA field, they have to have the ability to know and learn enuf to translate things into layman's terms for us. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Step by Step, Inch by Inch

I think what I amorally asking for is an instruction manual. An instruction manual takes your learning process of a subject and organizes it for you...in other words,

"The first thing you want to do is...".
                    "Once that is completed, you then want to find out what ____________ is and you do that by__________".
                    "This will allow you to_______"

They already have most of the to do items, or most of them that I see that Mr.Acoustic pointed out, and others that I haven't seen yet, explained and videoed....but probably need to be brought down a notch to our level.

That's my problem. I have all this info and don't know what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hayman View Post
                      I have all this info and don't know what to do with it.
                      Try this.

https://sites.google.com/site/wheato...etic-genealogy

Comment

beautiful!

Mr. T -

Just read the first page and what a sign of relief I yielded. It appears, just from the way he explained what he is going to present EXAcTLY what I'm talking about.

Thank you very very much!

Jim

Comment

Webinar failure to initiate!

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                          Have you view any of the free, recorded, webinars?

Recordings of all Family Tree DNA webinars are posted to the Webinars page of our Learning Center within 24-48 hours after the live webinar:
                          http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/webinars/

I once again have tried to view a webinar. he error message that came up was:

"View this Recording
                          Thank you for registering. Click View Recording to watch the recorded webinar session.

PC Users: You may first need to install the GoToMeeting codec."

So, in that I have a MAC, I hit "View This Recording" and the next page that came up was a totally black screen with tabs for other pages at the top, as would be expected. The loges I have allowed it to gather its senses and maybe produce a video has been about 10 minutes...and nothing.

I guess I need to forward this on the Tech Support.

FYI and Thanks,

Jim

Comment

1. Add a gedcom (family tree)
                            login to your account
                            under the tab, my account, find GEDCOM/Family Tree and import one.
                            this will load a tree and import surnames.

2. Check your myOrigins report for information.

3. Check your list of matches
                            immediate = parents, children, siblings
                            close = uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, grandchildren/grandparents
                            distant = 3rd to 5th cousins (and possibly a few generations farther than that as well)
                            speculative = cousins that have a lower confidence of being a solid match.

4. When you find a match you want to know more about, choose their email link and communicate with them, share information and so on.

5. Continue to check your kit at regular intervals for more matches as time goes on.

6. Download the raw data files if you like, they can be used for 3rd party tools like gedmatch.com

7. From your login, there is a tab called Resources, choose the ebook and read that as well regarding each of the 3 main tests. There are other resources available as well such as the learning center which you can go to by choosing the FAQ link in the Resources tab.

See https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/webinars/ to sign up for some of the FTDNA webinar sessions.

I will have some of this information you are looking for released to the public on a website before August. I can't give a date yet due to it being something I have to do in my spare time but my plan is, before August.

Matt.
                            Last edited by mkdexter; 12 May 2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                              1. Add a gedcom (family tree)
                              login to your account
                              under the tab, my account, find GEDCOM/Family Tree and import one.
                              this will load a tree and import surnames.

2. Check your myOrigins report for information.

3. Check your list of matches
                              immediate = parents, children, siblings
                              close = uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, grandchildren/grandparents
                              distant = 3rd to 5th cousins (and possibly a few generations farther than that as well)
                              speculative = cousins that have a lower confidence of being a solid match.

4. When you find a match you want to know more about, choose their email link and communicate with them, share information and so on.

5. Continue to check your kit at regular intervals for more matches as time goes on.

6. Download the raw data files if you like, they can be used for 3rd party tools like gedmatch.com

7. From your login, there is a tab called Resources, choose the ebook and read that as well regarding each of the 3 main tests. There are other resources available as well such as the learning center which you can go to by choosing the FAQ link in the Resources tab.

See https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/webinars/ to sign up for some of the FTDNA webinar sessions.

I will have some of this information you are looking for released to the public on a website before August. I can't give a date yet due to it being something I have to do in my spare time but my plan is, before August.

Matt.
                              One of my more successful techniques is to make a list of the surnames that are my dead ends and use the filter to look for matches that list those surnames. It helps if the name is something like Trux instead of Smith, but there are multiple ways to spell Trux too and I search for all of those. I have gotten past 3 or 4 multi-generational dead ends this way.

I also filter for locations that match the locations of my dead ends.

I also use matches in common. Even if I do not know how I relate to them, sometimes two of them are cousins or some other known relationship that narrows the possibilities. I also talk relatives and suspected relaties into testing. The matrix feature and the chromosome browser all help with this.

I also try to spend significant time building down my tree to include all the 4th and 5th cousins from my common great great great greats (etc.) as I do looking at Family Finder. That helps me recognize more surnames as related.

I repeat these things often.

Comment

Working...
                              X