Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can having a common ancestor mean 2 individuals are in the same haplogroup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can having a common ancestor mean 2 individuals are in the same haplogroup?

Sorry if my question sounds silly, but I'm quite new to this DNA business. Here's a little background:

My uncle only has 1 FF match, who FtDNA estimates to be a 4th cousin - remote cousin at 32.31cM. The match has a confirmed mtDNA haplogroup and my uncle has not tested his mtDNA yet. It is very likely that they have a maternal common ancestor (great great great grandmother?) rather than a paternal one.

My question is, if his match has a confirmed mtDNA haplogroup and a [likely] common ancestor with my uncle, would my uncle also have the same haplogroup?

You get your mtdna from your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother... That line only. It is analogous to a man getting ydna from his father's father's father's father's father...

If the common ancestress between your uncle and this match is on the mother's mother's mother's... line for both your uncle and this match, then they would have to have the same mtdna haplogroup. If the common ancestress is one of the other maternal grandmother types, then your uncle and this match would only have the same mtdna haplogroup by chance.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks MerryB! I totally forgot that my uncle would have a lot more grandmothers, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by twiglette View Post
        My question is, if his match has a confirmed mtDNA haplogroup and a [likely] common ancestor with my uncle, would my uncle also have the same haplogroup?
        For the reasons already explained, but we can't assume that being a match autosomally that would also mean we match on the same mt or yDNA haplogroup.

I have a cousin with whom we both share the same YDNA and mtDNA haplogroup. But we are related only one way. He is my first cousin once removed on my father's side. So even a more distant cousin would mean more haplogroups involved depending on the ancestral line.

Comment

Originally posted by mamoahina View Post
          For the reasons already explained, but we can't assume that being a match autosomally that would also mean we match on the same mt or yDNA haplogroup.

I have a cousin with whom we both share the same YDNA and mtDNA haplogroup. But we are related only one way. He is my first cousin once removed on my father's side. So even a more distant cousin would mean more haplogroups involved depending on the ancestral line.
          The majority of my FF matches are in the same Y haplogroup R1b. The MTDNA showing up most in FF matches are U5 and H. I belong to U5. I have one FF cousin who is also in a new subgroup of Z156 that I have tested poisitive for. This subgroup could be at least 2000 ybp.

Comment

That's interesting! I didn't know that.

Comment

Working...
            X