Fake Names and emails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Names and emails

Ftdna needs to do something about fake names and emails heres one BP J42 or [email protected]

It would be nice if everyone used valid names and e-mail addresses, including here, but it isn't something FTDNA can control. A valid address today may be trash tomorrow.

The person who uses a fake name for their kit may do so for the same reason you use a fake name here

Comment

People use initials or other name abbreviations for privacy.

I manage kits for many family members. While I don't mind *my* full name being out there, I don't want to violate my family members' privacy by putting their full names out there. If you're going to not contact me (it's my email address on each kit) just because I decided to respect the privacy of my living family members, that's silly.

Email addresses are another issue -- I agree that valid email addresses need to be used.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post

Email addresses are another issue -- I agree that valid email addresses need to be used.

Elise
        Wouldn't there have had to have been a valid email in the first place? That is how you get notified about orders and matches? Then an email change could be verified as a valid address and not changed if the new email was not answered.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
          Wouldn't there have had to have been a valid email in the first place? That is how you get notified about orders and matches? Then an email change could be verified as a valid address and not changed if the new email was not answered.
          Well, the email address that someone enters when first placing an order isn't verified, so if they provide an invalid email (either deliberately or by accident), then you're correct, they won't get any email notifications.

However, if we assume that most people enter a valid email address when placing the order, then indeed, requiring subsequent email address changes to go through a validation process would at least help to prevent people from changing to an invalid address.

Perhaps this idea could be submitted for consideration.

Elise

Comment

Perhaps this idea could be submitted for consideration.
            Yes, it should be put forward. Email address validation is not technically difficult.

Comment

People use initials or other name abbreviations for privacy.

I manage kits for many family members. While I don't mind *my* full name being out there, I don't want to violate my family members' privacy by putting their full names out there. If you're going to not contact me (it's my email address on each kit) just because I decided to respect the privacy of my living family members, that's silly.

Elise
              We all know that privacy is a big thing with FTDNA. If they are going to allow a person to use a fake name why wouldn't they allow that same person to use a fake e-mail address? If a person doesn't want you to contact them do you think they'll reply to a message if FTDNA did force them to use a valid address. Of course they could just use someone else's e-mail address or set up one and then cancel it later the same day. There is no way for FTDNA to force customers to keep them informed of valid addresses

Sorry, I'd much rather see FTDNA fix real problems.

Comment

I guess whether you think this is a real problem or not is how you look at FTDNA. Is it strictly a testing service or a network of researchers and relationships?

Actually for either, you need a valid email to get your kit number and password. Invalid email addresses may be on purpose or an accident that prevents communication and service.

I think validating emails is just part of a basic signup and management process that FTDNA needs. Lots of this forum talks about how the email notifications should be better and you need a good address for that.

If you do not want to be emailed, I guess that could be a choice, but at least FTDNA needs a valid email.

Comment

Having a valid email address should not be optional. Exposing that email address should be.

I do have a caveat though. Some of us have personally owned domains and have had for decades. It pisses me off that some validity checkers refuse to recognized addresses in these domains even if they are valid. I won't go into the specifics of why this happens here but I will say that any check that doesn't work with stuff smaller than the Yahoo and Google gmail like services is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
                    Having a valid email address should not be optional. Exposing that email address should be.
                    Clearly said, and if you took that option, you could still have messaging without the email exposure. Ancestry does this some folks show email and you can contact them directly about a tree, others do not show their email, but you can message them through the site. Then they can choose to respond or not. Sometimes the response is slow on Ancestry, I have waited a year or more to get an "Yes, I am your cousin" response. This makes the site a more powerful link, preserves privacy, and permits personal choice on privacy. I should not that Ancestry puts the email in a form difficult for robots to collect.

Comment

How do you expect FTDNA to enforce the requirement of having a valid e-mail address?

Should they reject a customer because they don't have a valid address? Will they perform a check of e-mail addresses each month and remove customers who no longer have a valid e-mail address?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just because I have a valid address today does not mean it will be valid tomorrow.

Please understand, I want to be able to contact my matches as much as anyone else. I have a good autosomal match who will not respond to messages. The messages don't bounce but I don't receive replies. I believe you are requesting something that isn't possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                        There is no way for FTDNA to force customers to keep them informed of valid addresses.

Sorry, I'd much rather see FTDNA fix real problems.
                        I read this thread and absolutely agree to JimĀ“s response: It is not the job of FTDNA to look after correct mail adresses after the order and results were placed. All customers are adult and free to take care of their accounts.

Comment

If I change my email at my bank, for example, they contact me by email andask if I intended to do that. Otherwise it could be a hacker or a mistake. Changing the address to an invalid one could be a mistake or someone's joke.

Other forums do that same verification and also test the new email to make sure we have not lost the ability to communicate.

I think having a way to contact the customer is a basic part of a business. And I think is someone wants to keep their email private between themselves and the business, that is fine. I think if you gave the option to not show your email, most of the strange addresses would go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                            Should they reject a customer because they don't have a valid address? Will they perform a check of e-mail addresses each month and remove customers who no longer have a valid e-mail address?
                            Hi Jim,

No, of course not.

The email validation would only take place when the customer initiates an email address change in their account.

Currently, customers can just change their email address to whatever they want, even an address that's completely bogus and doesn't exist.

Many other websites require users to validate their new email address when they try to change the address in their account. This is done by sending an email with a validation link to the new address. If the link is clicked, the new email address is validated and saved in the account. If the link doesn't get clicked, then the address change doesn't take place.

If FTDNA did this type of validation, it would at least prevent customers from deliberately providing an invalid address or from changing to an accidentally typo'd email address.

This would also benefit Family Tree DNA's email system. When the system sends out match notifications or other emails, if there are a bunch of invalid addresses, the system gets back a ton of bounces. Bouncing email addresses are placed on a block list to prevent the system from constantly emailing the same invalid addresses. However, I would think there would be technical benefits to reducing the number of bouncing/blocked customer emails.

Anyway, these are just my own personal thoughts. I'm not officially speaking on behalf of Family Tree DNA here

Elise
                            Last edited by efgen; 15 April 2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Personally, I find it a major pain to have to go from one screen to then open my e-mail and wait for the message to appear, and then read and click and then go back to the screen I wanted to be working on.

Yes, some programs do that -- and I hate it when they do. I think there are way more important things for Family Tree DNA to be focusing on.

Comment

Working...
                              X