Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chromosome 18

http://www.chromosome18.org/WhatIsaC...7/Default.aspx

If you look at the picture of the 23 pairs of chromosomes they are all different.The chromosome browser in FF has only one set of chromosomes 1-22 and not in pairs like the picture above.The chromosomes are paired but are different entities with their own set of SNPs and alleles. Isn't that right?

Comment

Each person has two copies of chromosomes 1-22, one copy representing a combination of the two chromosomes of the mother, the other copy representing a combination of the two chromosomes of the father.

With the Family Finder test, both copies of each chromosome are tested and there is no way to tell which value of each SNP comes from which parent. In the chromosome browser you get the map of the chromosome showing its relative length and position of the centromere. When you match someone it may be through the values of SNP you get from either parent, or a combination of what you get from both parents.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
        Each person has two copies of chromosomes 1-22, one copy representing a combination of the two chromosomes of the mother, the other copy representing a combination of the two chromosomes of the father.

With the Family Finder test, both copies of each chromosome are tested and there is no way to tell which value of each SNP comes from which parent. In the chromosome browser you get the map of the chromosome showing its relative length and position of the centromere. When you match someone it may be through the values of SNP you get from either parent, or a combination of what you get from both parents.
        It is amazing that we parents have each got 46 chromosomes and yet our children end up with 46 instead of 92.
        Last edited by 1798; 3 April 2014, 12:07 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
          It is amazing that we parents have each got 46 chromosomes and yet our children end up with 46 instead of 92.
          Yep, that's the virtue of making eggs and sperm with just one of each!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post

If I pay for the FF test for my son and wife do you think that I couldn't tell which allele came from my wife and I for all the autosomal SNPs? I would like to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
              If I pay for the FF test for my son and wife do you think that I couldn't tell which allele came from my wife and I for all the autosomal SNPs? I would like to try it.
              Gedmatch has a utility that allows you to phase your data. It works for matching, so you may be able to make additional conclusions based on the phased data.

Michael

Comment

Working...
              X