X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob View Post
    I have a G G Grandfather that was born in East Tenn. and his linage is lost there. I have purchased and taken the Basic DNA kit. Is this possibly enough to reach that far back to find a connection to other Patton paternal lines?
    When you say Basic DNA kit, which test do you mean. Since you posted you question in the Family Finder section we could assume that is the test you are referring to, but assuming can get us all into trouble.

You also mention Paternal Lines. If the G G Grandfather you mentioned is your father's, father's, father's, father you should order a Y-DNA test. It will reach deep enough to connect you with other men sharing your paternal line, if they have tested. If he is not from your paternal line you would need to order the Family Finder test. It might reach far enough back for you to match with others from his family.

My autosomal results match with a 4th cousin, but I don't match with his sister.

Leave a comment:

• Rebekah Canada
    replied
    Hi,

Which test did you order, and do you have the Patton surname?

Originally posted by Bob View Post
    This is a question that if I spent hours studying would probably know the answer to, so I hope not to sound to dumb.
    I have a G G Grandfather that was born in East Tenn. and his linage is lost there. I have purchased and taken the Basic DNA kit. Is this possibly enough to reach that far back to find a connection to other Patton paternal lines? Am I following the right approach to the testing I should be doing and adding to it if there are no results, or just consider it a dead end if no luck.

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    started a topic A newbies question

A newbies question

This is a question that if I spent hours studying would probably know the answer to, so I hope not to sound to dumb.
    I have a G G Grandfather that was born in East Tenn. and his linage is lost there. I have purchased and taken the Basic DNA kit. Is this possibly enough to reach that far back to find a connection to other Patton paternal lines? Am I following the right approach to the testing I should be doing and adding to it if there are no results, or just consider it a dead end if no luck.
Working...
X