23andme v4 Transfers - What's the official word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
    My unofficial opinion is that it would be great if somebody came up with a 3rd party tool that told you the company/version of a file.
    As Ann pointed out, The V3 file is larger, so that one is easy. Here's what I came up with to differentiate V2 from V4 algorithmically:

I count the number of SNPs in Chromosomes 6, 15, 19, and 22. I multiply those 4 counts together. If the product of those 4 values is greater than 7e16 (7 times 10 to the 16th power), then it's V4. Otherwise it's V2. Yes, I'm serious. That's how I do it.

John

Comment

I only wish that there was a way to emulate the v3 chip with a v4+ option.

In other words, it would be great if 23andme processed the v4 chip and allowed a raw data upgrade of the missing v3 SNPs using either FF or ancestryDNA raw data.

I know it's not likely to happen but this would certainly be
      preferable than this imputation baloney.

It seems like I have a bunch of "closer than usual" matches.

Has anyone else noticed inflated DNA percentages with your new
      v4 matches?

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
        I only wish that there was a way to emulate the v3 chip with a v4+ option.

In other words, it would be great if 23andme processed the v4 chip and allowed a raw data upgrade of the missing v3 SNPs using either FF or ancestryDNA raw data.

I know it's not likely to happen but this would certainly be
        preferable than this imputation baloney.

It seems like I have a bunch of "closer than usual" matches.

Has anyone else noticed inflated DNA percentages with your new
        v4 matches?
        My Mom for over about 2 months has had 1,020 matches. The other day I invited a lot of her matches, and had a really good response. Surprisingly the number of her matches is now down to 1,011. It has remained at that number for days now. Geez I always thought you got a work around their cap as you kept inviting and sharing.

So not sure about inflated percentages as it seems my Mom is not gaining any new, but in fact losing matches.

Comment

Táltos - I have invited every single match of mine at 23andMe. I have over 1000 matches (1239). I have been losing some for a long time (and gaining too). Often I will lose one or a handful, but sometimes I have lost as many as a dozen, and they have not returned. Some of them appear to be completely gone from the system there, some just not considered matches of me anymore, but still have acct there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
            Táltos - I have invited every single match of mine at 23andMe. I have over 1000 matches (1239). I have been losing some for a long time (and gaining too). Often I will lose one or a handful, but sometimes I have lost as many as a dozen, and they have not returned. Some of them appear to be completely gone from the system there, some just not considered matches of me anymore, but still have acct there.
            Very confusing. I know someone else said that you should gain some after losing some. It just strikes me as odd to lose right after a lot of sharing, and then not to see any new matches. Thanks for your input though.

Comment

I contact every match at 23andMe and, at present, I have 1360. Compare that with 143 matches here!!! I think FTDNA desperately needs some kind of advertising campaign!!!

Comment

Really? I thought at 23 they cut you off at 1000. How did you get 1360?

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
                  Really? I thought at 23 they cut you off at 1000. How did you get 1360?
                  As long as you send a sharing invitation to a match, they will remain in your list, even after you've reached the 1,000 cap. The cap only applies to those matches to whom you haven't sent an invitation. If you send a sharing invitation to every match in your list, then I think effectively the cap doesn't apply at all.

Comment

Today now my Mom has 1,028 matches so she did gain some. I need to invite more. I have invited a lot already, but it does become hard to keep up with.

Comment

I did the 23andme test when it was the V2 chip & I never upgraded. I currently have 1820 matches. Here is the breakdown - 661 have accepted contact, 262 opted to be a public match(to be seen by all their matches w/o having to accept contact), 41 declined contact, 114 have yet to receive an invite from me, that leaves 742 who have yet to respond to my invites. I try to send out invites every 2 or 3 weeks or so to keep ahead. My son has 1600 matches (but I didn't do the breakdown for him...) I have 395 matches here & my son has 304. I have 5381 matches on Ancestry & my son has 4134. I tried for the 1st 1000 matches to look at each one, but I quickly got far behind & fatigued. Now I just do surname searches & look at those matches, that's the easy way out, but Wow, I just don't have the time or energy to do more right now...
                      Last edited by ragnar; 25 January 2014, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                        I never upgraded from v2 because you were going to have to pay a yearly fee to see your results.
                        Same here.

Comment

23andMe v4 transfers: checking status

The link no longer mentions that v2 and v4 23andMe tests are incompatible. Does this mean that FTDNA now accepts them or was the verbiage deleted by mistake? It is quite possible I am just missing it, so I am looking for clarification please. Thanks.

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                          No, V4 isn't fully compatible. The order page has already been updated:

https://www.familytreedna.com/order-now.aspx?ty=1339

"The 23andMe© V2 test (sold prior to November 24, 2010) and the 23andMe© V4 test (sold beginning in late 2013) are NOT compatible with our Family Finder product and is NOT accepted in the Autosomal DNA Transfer."

Elise

Comment

Elise,

I'm sorry, but what you say just does not appear that I can see...
                            Last edited by hansonrf; 19 March 2014, 11:23 AM. Reason: fix

Comment

The text that I quoted several months ago was on the order page at the time. With the recent update to the website, apparently the text was inadvertently omitted. However, v2 and v4 still are definitely still not compatible, so I assume the text will get updated again soon.

Elise

Comment

23andMe v4 transfers: checking status

Thanks, Elise. Hopefully someone will update the website soon to save FTDNA from having to issue refunds on 23andMe v2 and v4 transfers.

Comment

Working...
                                X