Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

23andme v4 Transfers - What's the official word

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 23andme v4 Transfers - What's the official word

    Will FTDNA accept 23andme v4 transfers?

  • #2
    No, V4 isn't fully compatible. The order page has already been updated:

    https://www.familytreedna.com/order-now.aspx?ty=1339

    "The 23andMe© V2 test (sold prior to November 24, 2010) and the 23andMe© V4 test (sold beginning in late 2013) are NOT compatible with our Family Finder product and is NOT accepted in the Autosomal DNA Transfer."

    Elise

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by efgen View Post
      No, V4 isn't fully compatible. The order page has already been updated:

      https://www.familytreedna.com/order-now.aspx?ty=1339

      "The 23andMe© V2 test (sold prior to November 24, 2010) and the 23andMe© V4 test (sold beginning in late 2013) are NOT compatible with our Family Finder product and is NOT accepted in the Autosomal DNA Transfer."

      Elise
      Will FTDNA issue refunds to people who upload an incompatible file?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
        Will FTDNA issue refunds to people who upload an incompatible file?
        Many people won't know what chip was used for their test. The order information page could give directions to look at the file size first. I forget -- does FTDNA ask for the zip or extracted file?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
          Will FTDNA issue refunds to people who upload an incompatible file?
          Ann,

          Our science and IT/EG teams have not made a final determination on the reliability/viability of V4 chip comparisons. However, you can always request a refund when you have not yet uploaded a file. If people ask, the [email protected] address is best for that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
            Many people won't know what chip was used for their test. The order information page could give directions to look at the file size first. I forget -- does FTDNA ask for the zip or extracted file?
            We ask for the extracted file and strongly suggest that customers ask 23andMe which version they were sold.

            My unofficial opinion is that it would be great if somebody came up with a 3rd party tool that told you the company/version of a file.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
              Will FTDNA issue refunds to people who upload an incompatible file?
              Back when the 23andMe upload facility was first introduced, there was the issue of whether people had been tested on V2 or V3 chip and only the V3 chip data was acceptable.

              IIRC, if V2 data was uploaded it was declined and FTDNA issued a refund. I guess they'll be doing something similar this time if V4 data cannot be processed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
                We ask for the extracted file and strongly suggest that customers ask 23andMe which version they were sold.

                My unofficial opinion is that it would be great if somebody came up with a 3rd party tool that told you the company/version of a file.
                The file size for v3 will be in the neighborhood of 24 MB (shown as 24,000 KB in Windows file folders) and the file size for v2 and v4 will be in the neighborhood of 15 MB (15,000 KB). Perhaps that information could be added to the order page.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I saw a post on a 23andMe forum thread in which there are 3 SNPs listed, and by clicking on those, one could determine which version one had. I will see if I can find it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                    The file size for v3 will be in the neighborhood of 24 MB (shown as 24,000 KB in Windows file folders) and the file size for v2 and v4 will be in the neighborhood of 15 MB (15,000 KB). Perhaps that information could be added to the order page.
                    Right, good idea.

                    @Rebekah

                    The autosomal landing page says nothing about the incompatibility issues.
                    https://www.familytreedna.com/landin...a-landing.aspx

                    Maybe it should??

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I also read on the other forum the new chip isn't placing some mtDNA accurately such as a mother is N2 and the daughter is a W5. Another poster saw this happen twice now. Dr. McDonald also told someone he could not analyze their new chip because there is not enough AIMs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A few weeks ago John Olson posted the results of some testing he had done on the V4 versus the v3 chip on one of the forums at 23andMe. The results were anything but encouraging!!! I don't know much about this stuff, but I'm not sure transfers will be possible.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here is what I was looking for at 23andMe:

                          Here's a few snps to click on:

                          i3001664 v2 only

                          i3001956 v3 only

                          i4001377 v4 only

                          https://www.23andme.com/you/community/thread/27128/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'll go out on a limb and say 23andMe will have a V5 chip within a year that looks a lot more like the V3 chip than then V4 chip.

                            Point of clarification, when FTDNA rolled out the transfer only 23andMe V3 files that were from people who had upgraded from V2 worked. I think there were some extra SNP's in those files. I know this because I had a straight V3 file and it took a couple of months or more for the transfer to complete as the issues were worked through.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here's a link to John Olson's post. https://www.23andme.com/you/community/thread/26097/3/

                              From what I've read 23andMe is advising people who tested on v3 not to upgrade to v4. I never upgraded from v2 because you were going to have to pay a yearly fee to see your results. I think they dropped that permanently.

                              I was planning to test my mother just at the time v4 came out and decided not to do it based on comments on their forum and elsewhere.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X